Load DataTitan ReloadingWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Repackbox

Thread: Stevens tip ups

Boolit Buddy

Stevens tip ups

I have a Steven's Tip-up addiction, and have collected some interesting ones over the years. 30yrs ago or more, I came across a pocket rifle with a dozen or so barrels in a wide variety of calibers; some factory barrels and others gunsmith made. The frame was altered to accept a firing pin for center fire cartridges. At the time, I was told it was made up by a prominent gunsmith in Maine, most notable for his target muzzleloaders. Anyone know of such a person? I'm not certain of the purpose of this gun, but I'm sure it had something to do with ballistics, as none of the barrels have sights and look to be totally utilitarian. I also came across a Lady's Tip-up which has been converted to .255 Dean. Using 25-20 load data, the accuracy was awful. Once I go beyond the 25-20 recommended loads, the accuracy has started dialing in. The bore was terrible. I've been shooting jacketed bullets and find the bore is cleaning up considerably. I'm shooting a 2 1/2" group at 75 yards whereas before all this trial and error I could hardly keep it on the paper. I was hoping to get some load data on the .255 Dean, but have been unable to find any recommendations. Trial and error has been working well so far.

Boolit Master
    As per our PM discussion you said it is what was developed into the 256 Win. That being the case, I would start with starting loads for the 256W or a bit less and work up. Sticky extraction is a sure sign of over the top pressure whether or not you get any other pressure signs.I have a very old Stevens tip up in 22lr that has sticky extraction with any high speed 22lr and some std vel 22. I have taken to using shorts or CCI quiet for it. Your rifle may be for black powder only or not but I would work up very carefully. It may show sticky extraction well before any other high pressure signs. If altered from rim fire it may not be a strong rifle or of high strength steel. I would be very cautious as it would be a real shame to damage a neat rifle like that one.

Boolit Master
    I had a couple interesting Tip Ups, one was a Hunter's Pet in 22 short, that was fun to shoot. Unfortunately the action was a little loose, and it would sometimes split the case around the rim. Can't believe how loud that was, and how much smoke comes from a little 22 short.

Also had an early production rifle in 44 rimfire, that I considered converting to centerfire, but it was in poor condition, and very loose lockup also. One interesting thing was it had a nickel plated brass frame, only one I've ever seen. I don't remember the serial number, but it was under a thousand.
    Only tip up I have now is a 12 guage shotgun, and I'm a little leery of shooting it, even with light BP loads. It has a rather thin barrel, and no fore arm to protect your hand.

While they are a fascinating firearm, I would be very careful with any smokeless loads in them, with their cast actions and poor locking design. Just my opinion, but those little 22 shorts leaking gas right in front of my eyeball kind of scared me.

I owned a few of the Stevens Premier Tip Up schuetzen rifles some years ago. They were extremely nice guns with forearms and stocks checkered, and small Swiss buttplates. When my single shot interests narrowed down I sold them.

Those frames are only malleable iron. I would be very reluctant to subject them to high pressure loads. They'll stretch, just like the T/C Contenders do.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by Gewehr-Guy View Post

Also had an early production rifle in 44 rimfire, that I considered converting to centerfire, but it was in poor condition, and very loose lockup also. One interesting thing was it had a nickel plated brass frame, only one I've ever seen. I don't remember the serial number, but it was under a thousand.
    Only tip up I have now is a 12 guage shotgun, and I'm a little leery of shooting it, even with light BP loads. It has a rather thin barrel, and no fore arm to protect your hand.
    I've got one of those brass framed rifles also. It is a 32 EX Long RF. One of the smaller sized frames, it's serial is 2 hundred something. I've also wondered about how strong it is.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Danth View Post
    "I was told it was made up by a prominent gunsmith in Maine, most notable for his target muzzleloaders. Anyone know of such a person?
    Might be Bill Morrison (deceased, 2016) formerly of Bradford. He did a lot of rebarreling and custom work.

Looks like the shop is still in business with Carl Morrison in charge. https://www.dandb.com/businessdirect...e-5586365.html

Here's his obit. I bet he's your guy: https://bangordailynews.com/2016/03/...e-morrison-sr/

Jim (formerly of Maine, but not deceased quite yet
    Last edited by jdsingleshot; 06-14-2022 at 10:33 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the information guys. Bill Morrison is not the name of the Gunsmith I remember, but a valuable lead which will be followed up. As poor as the bore is in my tip-up, it has cleaned up somewhat with firing, cleaning, firing, etc. Best accuracy has been achieved with load data for 25-20 Winchester, so I'm confused as to the usefulness of the increased volume of the .255 Dean chambering.