Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners

Thread: Brass alloy question

Boolit Buddy

Brass alloy question

I have a set of 17CCM dies(no gun) and saw a WTB for 22CCM brass some where, got Me thinking about turning some casings from stock. Does anyone know what the standard alloy for cartridge brass is, and if its available as round stock somewhere?? found references to the casings , but none available. One place in Texas at $5+ each. Just curious..

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Buddy

Thanks, that helps.

C260 - it is work hardened when drawing. Only way to harden it is by work hardening. (area reduction)

Can you purchase hardened rounds and anneal the necks after machining?

Boolit Buddy

Not sure if he is still around but Steve Schroeder out of California used to make CCM brass from 22 Hornet brass. I never see it but from other sources I have read state his brass was lathe turned about a third of the way down. I would guess the 22 Hornet brass was swagged down then the base and rim was turned to match the CCM dimensions.

Boolit Buddy

Yeah the annealing is a given, I think I'll try a test run on some mystery rod I have and see if the concept and the tooling get along. From what I heard Steve is not a viable source any more. I dont need it bad enough to pay the price it will demand. And I aint given up my Hornet brass......