Inline FabricationWidenersRepackboxRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Titan Reloading Snyders Jerky

Thread: Feeding Problems

Boolit Buddy

Feeding Problems

I shot 40-160 LHP Mihec bullets today using 6.0-6.8gr AA5 at 1.131" OAL. The lower charges tended to not feed and jam. What is the cause of this? Seating depth?

Boolit Master
    Usually with lower charges causing feeding issues, it is the speed or distance the slide travels that is to blame. If the charge does not have enough energy to push the slide all the way back, it cannot properly pick up the next round. It can also be that the slide does not have enough energy from the recoil spring being short stroked to overcome the inertia to load the next round. Each pistol is different. Yours seems to like medium to higher charges.

Boolit Buddy
    I've been guilty of relaxing my grip with light loads and ended up with feed issues. Usually it was with my CC, I assume because of the light weight. If I maintain a solid grip on the gun, the slide does its thing reliably. But if I let the frame waffle around in my hand, feed issues can start showing up with the same loads. Eventually I settled on a more robust load.

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    I shot 40-160 LHP Mihec bullets today using 6.0-6.8gr AA5 at 1.131" OAL. The lower charges tended to not feed and jam. What is the cause of this? Seating depth?
    I have noticed in your posts you are very spare with information. It you want something more that just subject guesses, you need to give more information starting with what gun.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Vendor Sponsor

If you pull the barrel do the rounds you have loaded plunk and turn freely?
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Quote Originally Posted by BJung View Post
    The lower charges tended to not feed and jam. What is the cause of this? Seating depth?
    It looks like you've answered your own question.

The lower charges aren't strong enough to cycle the action.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Char-Gar View Post
    I have noticed in your posts you are very spare with information. It you want something more that just subject guesses, you need to give more information starting with what gun.

I've noticed lack of details from lots of new posters .
    The more information given from the get-go the better and more precise the answer will be .
    In this game details matter and you aren't charged by the number of words typed ...
    so don't be stingy with the details ... tell us all the facts !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    Perhaps one other factor at play here. If the data is obtained from the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook, the data is not obtained from a functioning firearm. It is obtained with a Universal Receiver. It will show the pressure developed, but there is no certainty that it will cycle a semi-auto handgun with a strong recoil spring.