Inline FabricationReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: Leaf ID?

Boolit Buddy

Leaf ID?

I ran across these plants while on a film shoot in Montana in January. They were just as pictured, not on a vine, but rather flat on the ground just growing as a triple leaf on a stem. The location was at about 6500 feet near Emigrant Peak south of Livingston, MT. There were comments about poison ivy but I'm thinking some type of holly or other ground plant. Any suggestions?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Leaves, resized.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	67.7 KB 
ID:	301023

I’m not sure what it is but I’m sure it’s not poison ivy.

Boolit Grand Master

Last edited by M-Tecs; 06-06-2022 at 12:30 AM.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

That probably isn't poison ivy.
    I'm so sensitive to it, I can see a picture of the stuff and break out with a rash,
    and I didn't when I saw your picture. But I may be having a delayed reaction....

However--
    With three leaves on a stem, growing as a vine, and especially if it only grows in shade-
    I'd play it safe and treat it as if it was poison ivy.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I think it's Oregon grape. As it grows it gets more leaves lower on the stem in pairs. I'm not much of a plant guy so take that for what it's worth.

Those leaves are pretty damaged, but my vote is Oregon Grape as well.
    Waxy leaves with small spines around the perimeter.
    This time of year may have had white clusters of flowers as well.

Boolit Buddy
    More info - they were found in a mixed pine/oak forested area, the ground was well frozen with snow cover in the area. Nearby lake had about 1 foot of ice on it so temps had to have been cold for a while. There were several of these plants scattered in the cleared area under trees. No vines, all were just the three-leaf on a stem as shown in the picture. Oregon grape looks right from a leaf shape but there were none with more than three leaves and no fruit or flowers evident. All were green as in alive even in the frozen ground. I don't think poison ivy for several reasons - not on a vine, not shiny, spiked leaves, not frozen out.

Boolit Master

I grow strawberries (my vote). I think M-Tecs got it.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Creeping Barberry.

Boolit Master

Looks like wild strawberries to me I have them in the orchard every year taste great the berries not the leaves.

I've lived in Montana all my life but for 5 years in Wy. This is my call based on the OP's info; they are most likely Oregon Grapes. They are one of the very few plants that can have green leaves in January. They are not going to have any flowers in January and the grouse and other birds will have eaten any fruit long before then.
    The reference to pine/oak is confusing, I have never seen an oak tree in Montana, and there are at least 6 conifer species in that area, 3 of them not being pines.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    Oregon grape. Got lots of it on my property.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Your further description increases my belief these are Oregon grape. They have some green leaves all year usually just the three on the end of the stem. They don't have a vine as such and the hundreds around my yard have no berries or flowers yet. They are starting to get more leaves on the stems now. Earlier in the year they usually only have the three. The three leaves you show are last years leaves by the darker color.

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks for all the input! It would appear that Oregon Grape it is although the leaves of the wild strawberry do look very close.

Creeping Barberry, look it up. Oregon state flower.
    Last edited by Randy Bohannon; 06-06-2022 at 05:32 PM.

Boolit Master
    Poison ivy leaves tend to look like a mittenClick image for larger version. 

Name:	1592077084131.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	47.9 KB 
ID:	301054

As much time as I've spent in the woods, I didn't know what poison ivy looked like until a couple of years ago. As far as I know, I'm not allergic to it, but look for it every time i go out. I do have a bunch of it in my property

Boolit Master
    creeping barberry also known as creeping Oregon grape is one of 6 different species of what is called Oregon grape. The type we have in my area (western Montana) don't grow nearly as tall nor as bushy as some of the other types. The OP said his type was flat/low to the ground which would make it a different type from creeping barberry. All the forms appear to be very similar as to leaf formation which would make it difficult to be sure what species it is just from the picture shown.

Low and flat growing is referred to as ‘creeping’ it is a variety of ‘Creeping Barberry ‘the ‘species’ is Barberry regardless of variety.

Moderator Emeritus

I'm always interested in this stuff. While I wouldn't have a clue what it is, Wikipedia says it's,
    "Mahonia repens commonly known as creeping mahonia,[1] creeping Oregon grape,[2] creeping barberry,[3] or prostrate barberry, is a species of Mahonia native to the Rocky Mountains and westward areas of North America, from British Columbia and Alberta in the north through Arizona and New Mexico, then into northwest Mexico by some reports.[3] It is also found in many areas of California[4] and the Great Basin region in Nevada"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mahonia_repens

going by "commonly known as", it seems most everyone posting an answer in this thread is correct, even though different names are mentioned.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001