RepackboxInline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersTitan Reloading
Load Data RotoMetals2

Thread: 311290 in the 308 Winchester using LeveRevolution Powder

Boolit Master

311290 in the 308 Winchester using LeveRevolution Powder

This thread will explore loading the 311290 style boolit using LeveRevolution Powder. These boolits are the NOE Copy of the Lyman 311290. They are powder coated with Eastwood Blue Powder; and baked at 475 degrees for 40 minutes; then taken from the oven and water quenched. Boolits were sized to .310. Then the nose was sized to .301 to allow chambering. The OAL length of 2.855 prevents being able to load and cycle rounds in the internal magazine of this Remington 700 .308 Winchester Rifle. All rounds have to be loaded one at a time because of the OAL.

Because of the Primer Shortage, and wanting to use factory Primers to keep these test consistent with other Tests of this Boolit and Powder coating; I reduced the number of rounds from 10 round groups to 5 round groups. I have performed other tests using this 311290 boolit with "Non-Traditional" powders (read that as not listed in the various reloading manuals). As well as other tests using LeveRevolution powder in non traditional calibers. These can be found at:

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...der&highlight=

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...-56&highlight=

So for todays 311290 Boolit in a .308 Winchester using 30 Grains of LeveRevolution powder I loaded 5 rounds. Only 4 rounds are on Target because the CCI #200 for one round DID NOT IGNITE; despite 5 attempts. (Anyone else noticing increased failure to fire or other indicators of decreased quality control for new products the last 18 months?)

The following data is presented:

Rifle: Remington 700 ADL Varmint .308

Barrel Twist: 1 in 12

Wind: 2 to 5 mph
    Temp: 50 degrees F.

Boolit: 311290

Ballistic Coefficient: .305
    Brinnel Hardness: 9.8

Bullet sized: .310

Alloy: 96% Lead, 3% Antimony, 1% Tin

Bullet Lube: Entire Boolit coated with Eastwood Blue
    Gas Check: Ameri-max Aluminum 0.14”

Powder: LeveRevolution 30 Grains with a dacron over powder filler

Primer: CCI-200

Case: PPU 7.62x51 Brass

OAL: 2.855 Inches

Distance: 100 Yards.

Black spotter is ~ .80".
    10 Shot Group Size: 2.30 MOA.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	311290 in 308 with 30 Gr LeveRevolution Powder.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	35.4 KB 
ID:	301016
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 06-05-2022 at 05:32 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I wanted to do a comparison between the use of BLC-2 powder and LeveRevolution from post #1 above; so I also shot a 5 round string of 311290's with the same Eastwood Blue Powder coat as described in post #1 above.

I selected 30 Grains for this comparison because it had performed well in the previous thread on BLC-2 with this boolit; and the Burn Rate of LeveRevolution is very near BLC-2 on Burn Rate Charts; with LEveRevolution being slightly slower.

The following data is presented:

Wind: 2 to 5 mph
    Temp: 50 degrees F.

Brinnel Hardness: 9.8

Powder: BLC-2 30 Grains with a dacron over powder filler

Primer: CCI-200

Case: PPU 7.62x51

Black spotter is ~ .80".
    10 Shot Group Size: 1.78 MOA.

Name:	311290 with BLC2 30 Gr .jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	29.4 KB 
ID:	301017
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 06-05-2022 at 05:33 PM.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

Initial observations and conclusions may be flawed; but here goes any way.

1. LeveRevolution has a larger group. Given a 4 round group compared to a 5 round group of BLC-2 same boolit; it could simply be as simple as a bad hold, slightly different conditions, etc.. BUT - It still shows a larger group.

2. The LeverEvolution group s slightly below lower than the BLC-2 group. Once again it may be premature to draw conclusions, but - LeveRevolution is a slightly slower burn rate. Might be that an additional 1 to 2 grains of Powder would elevate group impact to same level as the BLC-2 (or it might not).

3. I would not run out and buy LeveRevolution powder for this Boolit/Rifle combination; but then again if powder choices are restricted it looks like LeveRevolution may have some promise. Particularly if increasing the powder charge slightly shows any promise in future testing and evaluation. I still have an unopened 8 pound Jug and a just opened 1 pound jug of LeveRevolution so if needed I know I can use it in .223 loads and potentially in .308 Winchester loads with the 311290.
    Mustang

Boolit Master

Mustang,

Any chance of you getting a chronograph involved in the project? One of the many benefits of using one for your load workup is you can the numbers tighten up as you find the happy place in the combustion curve.

Another benefit is that you can do a run of single, gradually increasing powder charges to find where that happy place is likely to be, and save yourself a lot of powder, primers, and bullets doing it (one case 30 grains, next case 30.2, next case 30.4, and so on).

It'll save you a lot of effort.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Master

My old chrony gave up the ghost after 35 years a couple months back. Bought a new one and took to the range today and had massive down pour going on - New Chrony was placed just under the edge of the roof line out of the rain, but the results were all over the place. Best guess was +or - 2000 fps; but as I said numbers ranged from 427 fps to 7000 fps; obviously not able to use it as any true indicator.

Perhaps next trip to the range with good light conditions.
    Mustang

Boolit Master
    MUSTANG: This is an interesting thread. I don't have a 311290 mold, but the 311290 is somewhat similar to the 311299, which I do. I've got LeveRevolution, but I'm saving that for 30-30 Winchester. What I do have is BLC-2 and a 308 to shoot it in. I've only been using the BLC-2 in 223 and 7.62x39 (bolt action). This thread is showing some useful load development. I use standard small rifle primers when loading 223 with BLC-2, but in cartridges that use a large rifle primer I use magnum primers with this powder. I generally only use a dacron filler with slower powders like the IMR series. I hope you do some more testing with BLC-2.

Boolit Grand Master

LeveRevolution powder is a blended powder for specific applications. It requires a certain case capacity and pressure level to perform as intended. I've done considerable testing in the .308W with LeveRevolution and never got it to give as good results as standard powders. The case volume vs bullet mass ratio isn't correct, even with a 210 gr bullet.

Pressure testing revealed the time/pressure curves [pressure traces] were just not what they should be. When LeveRevolution is burning correctly the time/pressure curve flattens out at the top instead of "peaking" as do regular progressive powders.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Went to the range again to shoot some more cast, and to try out a new "Lab Radar" chronograph I finally got after 8 months trying to buy one. Larry's comments above will be once again proven by the following Tests in this string as well as my RCBS 200 Sil string.
    Mustang

Boolit Master

Wind: 5
    Temp: 75 degrees F.

Brinell Hardness: 9.8

Powder: BLC2 30 Grains with Dacron Filler
    Primer: CCI-34
    Base: PMC Brass

10 Shot Group Size: 2.5 MOA.

Name:	308 Lyman 311290 - 30 Gr BLC2 - 20220627.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	25.4 KB 
ID:	301709

Velocity data for 5 rounds

30 Gr BLC2 Lyman 311290

Avg FPS: 1,895
    Mustang

Boolit Master

Wind: 5
    Temp: 75 degrees F.

Brinell Hardness: 9.8

Powder: LeverEvolution 32 Grains with Dacron Filler
    Primer: CCI-34
    Base: PMC Brass

10 Shot Group Size: 3.4 MOA.

Name:	308 Lyman 311290 - 32 Gr Leverevolution - 22020627.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	26.5 KB 
ID:	301710

32 Gr Leverevolution Lyman 311290

Avg FPS: 1,921
    Mustang

As a general premise, ball rifle powders (BL-C and LeveRevolution) do not perform well at less than full charge loads due to their coating. The loads mentions are well below full charge.

I have one of those Remington 700 Varmint rifles in .308 and it will deliver ten shot MOA cast bullet groups on demand with loads it likes. One five shot group proves nothing and really is a waste of time in load development. Shoot multiple ten shot groups at the same range time and then you will know something about the load and the rifle.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Mustang,
    I know nothing about powder coating, but I have studied fired bullets and the effects of velocity on cast bullet alloys for most of my time behind a rifle.
    I found pushing a bullet too fast it starts to tear a bullet up and trying to size them down it changes the balance of the bullet if it's not set back in line. At the RPM these bullets turn when they leave the muzzle they will do strange things down range if they get pushed out of shape sizing them.

I was getting ready for a lever action match and was testing loads for my 93 Marlin .30-30 with cast bullets with a #2 Lyman alloy and a load of 3001that pushed the bullet close to 2000 fps and I could not keep the group on paper.
    I had some snow drifts yet so I fired a few shots in the snow drifts to see what was going on with the bullets. Shooting snow banks virtually leaves the bullet undamaged so you can take measurements and I found the bullets were actually longer when fired than unfired and bad stripping.
    I switched to 4227 and dropped down to 1600 fps and the results you see on the target. I lost a couple shots that opened up using the barrel sights from aiming errors.

Name:	IMG_2593.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	35.2 KB 
ID:	301714Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2803.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	34.0 KB 
ID:	301715Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_3740.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	39.9 KB 
ID:	301716

Boolit Master

Char Gar has some comments that have validity in "BETTER TIMES". Part of my efforts on this and other threads is to make abridge between those of us who are more seasoned citizens and have had the opportunity to collect and acquire firearms, reloading equipment, reloading components and etc... ; compared to those who have not had that opportunity because they are less seasoned in life or are new to reloading.

a. 10 round groups - Primers are almost impossible to acquire currently for those who do not have a "Stash". Telling other they should have bought more, or saved more, or... back when supplies were better does them no good today. They either spend tremendous prices (I see as much as 20 to 25 cents per primer when shipping is included for quite a fe sites claiming to have primers). TO a certain degree; I am hoarding my stock of primers too - even though by peoples standards they are considerable. So; I agree 10 round groups are more scientifically telling; but since most people are judicious with what primers they have; I made the CHOICE to only test and publish 5 round groups and velocities.

b. A common element from many new shooters and/or reloaders is "I have X, Y, and Z rifle powders. I want to reload for Cast Boolits. Unfortunately, many seasoned Cast Boolit reloaders then launch into a discussion of the fact that X, Y, and Z are not good choices for Rifle Cast Boolits. The shooter should instead use A, B, C, D, E, F, G, and... powders as they are more favorable. Unfortunately they answer a question not asked. If we were still in "BETTER TIMES"; the advice to go down to the LGS and procure a more desirable powder would be good advice, but unfortunately we are instead in "NOT SO GOOD TIMES". The recommended and personal favorite powder/s quoted to the New Shooter/Reloader are simply telling them to either go procure "UNOBTANIUM" or stop trying to Cast and Shoot Boolits.

My threads recently are predominantly tailored to exploring what "I have on the Shelf" powder can be used and have some level of success; even if better powders would produce a better result.

I did a photo analysis of Lead Pot's target above (Post #12). My photo analysis yields: the 10 Round group in his photo is approximately a 1.75 inch group. Compare to the 2.5 inch group in post #5 using BLC-2 Powder. Although the BLC2 Powder group is about 50% larger; the group size is such that it will afford a new shooter/reloader the opportunity to expand their skill and continue shooting if they have a limited set of primers on hand; or are on a budget and can afford buying 100 at a time at LGS's if/when they are available.

For myself; I am waiting on chemicals to begin making non-corrosive primers. I have done the cap pistol building of Primers, and the H-48 corrosive primer thing; but am not happy with those efforts. I'll see if I can make non-corrosive that when tested give consistent results later this year. Although I could shoot for some time using my supply of Large Rifle primers, I am more interested in going down the non-traditional paths that our current conditions require of many - or they have to cease reloading and casting.

P.S. I believe my testing with the Lyman 311290 and the RCBS 200 SIL indicates that LeverEvolution Powder DOES NOT fulfill the goal of using what's on the shelf for Cast Rifle Boolit Loads given the indications of much less accuracy. That powder simply does not afford the results of those powder in the BLC2 burn rate range in my tests (i.e. BC2, W748, Varget, etc..). The 200 Sil tests can be found at : https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...308-Winchester Posts #19 and 20. Of interest; that 5 shot RCBS 200 Sil group in post #19 is actually smaller than the one listed above by Lead Pot above (Of course his group is 10 rounds - not 5 rounds).
    Last edited by MUSTANG; 07-03-2022 at 12:16 PM.
    Mustang

Mustang, Thanks for the info. I was looking at some LeverEvolution the other day; because it was "available." I decided to wait because I didn't know much about it. Think I will just pass on it now.
    AKA "Old Vic"
    "I am a great believer in powder-burning".
    --Theodore Roosevelt, Hunting Trips of a Ranchman