Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionLoad Data
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2WidenersMidSouth Shooters Supply
Repackbox

Thread: Wing-protected aperture sight on my Rossi Model 97

Boolit Master

Wing-protected aperture sight on my Rossi Model 92

I want to install a steel wing-protected aperture sight on my Rossi Model 92 and mount the sight on the extreme rear of the bolt where a Steve's Gunz plug replacement for the safety is placed. There is not much "free bolt space" at this spot on which to drill and tap at safety plug for a sight. The specific sight I think might be small enough to fit is one of the variations of the M1 carbine aperture sight, whose mounting screws would be along the bolt and not across it.

I've never owned M1 carbine or known any of my friends to have owned one. Those of you who have access to an M1 carbine or its sight base. Will this sight fit the area? If it will, a machined steel reproduction is currently made in the United States at a price that makes it an attractive solution.
    Last edited by Naphtali; 06-05-2022 at 12:44 PM. Reason: Typographical error: changed Model 97 to Model 92
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it. Sam Levinson

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007144.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	103.7 KB 
ID:	300995 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007146.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	130.7 KB 
ID:	300997 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007147.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	101.5 KB 
ID:	300998
    Click to enlarge.

The fast answer is "No--there is insufficient room." The M1 Carbine sight mounts in a rather large dovetail, and there isn't room to cut a dovetail that size on the Rossi. The more complicated answer is "Maybe." It would require taking the carbine sight apart, drilling holes in its base and in the Rossi's bolt. You might have to file or grind down the tops of the Rossi's locking lugs which might or might not hit the sight's base.

Trying to find a suitable custom sight can lead to mental instability. I always start with Brownell's many offerings, then start going through the lisitings and photos of sight companies like Williams, then (last resort!) the Gun Parts Corp. with a search for "rifle sights." Sometimes they have an ex-military item that can be modified to work.

What about one of the flip up ghost ring sights? Maybe you could mount it in the Rossi's safety hole. Sights mounted on bolts seldom prove to be truly accurate due to the bolt moving a bit every time the action is cycled. I think you'd find a side mounted adjustable aperture sight to be a better choice, as has been a traditional replacement on thousands of Win. '94s and Marlin 336 rifles for decades.

DG
    Last edited by Der Gebirgsjager; 06-05-2022 at 09:15 AM.

While awkward looking, an adaptor can be made with a bottom that will fit the hole the Rossi 92 bolt top safety is mounted in (retained by the issue cross pin in the bolt locking lug recess) - and the top of the adaptor to hold the carbine sight.

FWIW, I've been using unprotected peep sights for over 45 years on multiple rifles including the Rossi (aka: K.I.S.S.) w/o any damage.

While reasonable for military usage, IMO the protective wings on a sight is overkill for a sporting application.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Boolit Grand Master

Another user of Plain receiver sights ... no wings on hunting rifles. They work fine.
    Military rifles have those wings incase the rifle needs to bash in some doors, helmets..... I have yet to need to bash anything with our hunting rifles.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    why the bolt mounted sight? - yeah huge "cool factor" but for a fast follow up you are gonna lose your focus on the rear sight as you crank the lever and the sight moves 3 inches toward your eye - not happening with a reciever sight!

There is nothing cool about the bolt mounted sight, it's only used because it's an easier option for the Rossi than having your receiver drilled and tapped for a Williams or Lyman sight. You usually have to shim them to get them tight, and there is no windage, only elevation. Your front sight is your only windage.

I used one on this Rossi in .45, and the peep moving 3 inches to the rear when you work the lever is not an issue.

Whenever you shoot ANY lever rifle, even a rimfire, you have to quickly reacquire the sight picture thru the peep after the recoil of the shot and working the lever.
    If you can keep looking thru the peep and keep on the target, even shooting .38 Specials, while the gun recoils and moves around while you stroke the lever, you are much better than I, much better than most humans.
    I'd REALLY like to see that done with a .45/70, or even a .44 Magnum carbine.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    There is nothing cool about the bolt mounted sight, it's only used because it's an easier option for the Rossi than having your receiver drilled and tapped for a Williams or Lyman sight. You usually have to shim them to get them tight, and there is no windage, only elevation. Your front sight is your only windage.

I used one on this Rossi in .45, and the peep moving 3 inches to the rear when you work the lever is not an issue.

Whenever you shoot ANY lever rifle, even a rimfire, you have to quickly reacquire the sight picture thru the peep after the recoil of the shot and working the lever.
    If you can keep looking thru the peep and keep on the target, even shooting .38 Specials, while the gun recoils and moves around while you stroke the lever, you are much better than I, much better than most humans.
    I'd REALLY like to see that done with a .45/70, or even a .44 Magnum carbine.
    yeah I wasnt thinking there - been watchin too many cowboy action videos pffft - tink, pffft - tink - they proly got it sorted
    I only had a reciever peep on a 348 and they do bounce around a bit .

The steel in those Rossis is tough stuff I had an old one in 357 - proly a 1970's vintage even that old was tough steel

Did you have to redo the front sight on that gun or have they woke up and took it off the barrel band.?

They gave the front sight it's own dovetail, these last couple I've had were made 2015 and 2016 and both had the front sight on the barrel and not on the band.
    Those band sights both give up windage adjustments and the ability to swap out to a front sight of your liking.

I put these ladder sights made by Uberti. A friend had a couple he traded me for, and I used one on my Marlin 1894P and one on this Rossi .357.
    While not as quality built as a Skinner or Smith Enterprise ladder sight, it does the job fine.

Someone commented that a ladder sight is not "right" on a short barreled carbine like a 16" or 20" lever gun.
    I wonder why Winchester put the exact same sight (the Uberti one I have is an exact copy of the original Winchester carbine ladder) on carbines, from the 1866, 1873 to 1892, but not on the longer barreled rifles?
    When you don't need to lob them in there, the ladder works just like a shallow notch leaf sight when folded down.
    The stainless Rossi "trapper' .357 will probably get the bolt peep, and I'll zero for 50 yards. And have the ladder for the long range shooting.

The primary sight on this Marlin .44 below is the Skinner peep, but it has a ladder for long range if needed.

Last edited by sandog; 06-06-2022 at 03:59 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by sandog View Post
    They gave the front sight it's own dovetail, these last couple I've had were made 2015 and 2016 and both had the front sight on the barrel and not on the band.
    Those band sights both give up windage adjustments and the ability to swap out to a front sight of your liking.

I put these ladder sights made by Uberti. A friend had a couple he traded me for, and I used one on my Marlin 1894P and one on this Rossi .357.
    While not as quality built as a Skinner or Smith Enterprise ladder sight, it does the job fine.

Someone commented that a ladder sight is not "right" on a short barreled carbine like a 16" or 20" lever gun.
    I wonder why Winchester put the exact same sight (the Uberti one I have is an exact copy of the original Winchester carbine ladder) on carbines, from the 1866, 1873 to 1892, but not on the longer barreled rifles?
    When you don't need to lob them in there, the ladder works just like a shallow notch leaf sight when folded down.
    The stainless Rossi "trapper' .357 will probably get the bolt peep, and I'll zero for 50 yards. And have the ladder for the long range shooting.

The primary sight on this Marlin .44 below is the Skinner peep, but it has a ladder for long range if needed.

Your info correct re the ladder sights and "someone" was incorrect
    seen more than my share of original 92's -----20" barrel + carbine buttplate + barrel bands = ladder sight
    never saw a rifle with an original ladder sight - always came with the more modern conventional backsight (sliding notched elevator)
    of course this is Winchester you could special order anything you liked those days

Interesting question - why would the carbine shooter be more interested in lob shotting at long range than the guy with a rifle?

found this old pic of a couple pinkerton men with their gear - look at the length of those rifle scabbards - and the curved buttplate they were carrying full length rifles - by the look of the cartridge belts they are at least full length 1886 rifles or an 1876's maybe ?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a pair if pinkertons.png 
Views:	23 
Size:	580.9 KB 
ID:	301053