Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingRepackboxWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: rechargeable weed eaters

Boolit Master
    We have a Stihl FS90 down at the lake and its going on 20 years. 4 stroke that runs on 2 stroke mix. I go down once a month and have to weedeat a couple of acres at least, too rocky for mowing. The fuel lines gave out a couple years ago and not having time to fix, I bought the new version, an FS 91R I think. We had just bought a house and I needed a weedeater and thought a backup to the old one down at the lake would be a good idea. No complaints from either. Grandma needed a lighter one and we went through a Worx brand rechargeable in a year. Bought her a Stihl FSA57 last year. She loves it, but there is no way I can its possible to do the work I need to do down there. Our house in the city, it would prolly be perfect.

Boolit Master
    Had a Kobalt 40V from Lowes but found it was too heavy to handle with my arthritis. Don't need a lot weed whacking and could do several trimming on one charge. Replaced it with the small Stihl FS38 gas trimmer, which works well for my limited needs. Replaced the OEM spool with a head that you slide the string through the head and wind without removing the spool. Also got a head that uses plastic blades for the little bit of heavier stuff that needs trimming.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by trails4u View Post
    I have a Ryobi one that I bought for the wife years ago, so she could trim when I was away during the summer working fires out west. We've had it probably ten years... For anything 'lawn' related...it's become the one I grab. But still have my big commercial Stihl gas trimmer for bigger jobs. Battery life is probably 20-25 minutes, which is generally enough for me to take care of trimming around the 'lawn'. We don't really have a lawn...just a patch of weeds and clover that we keep reasonably cut and trimmed around the house, mabye 1/3 acre or so.... It's good for that....but wouldn't try to tackle any major trimming job with it. It just doesn't make the RPMs to tackle big stuff....
    What he said. My wife loves the Ryobi for small jobs. The battery lasts a little more fur us by by the time it runs down, she/I are ready to move on to the next project anyway.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by kootne View Post
    I use a 20V B&D. Works for me. I've had it over 15 years. I have about an acre and a half, 50% trees, rest grass. I used to rent a big gas Stihl to knock down the grass if we were having a dry fire season. Dumb thing would not start hot so I wasted time I was paying for letting it cool after every refuel. So I just decided to do it with my 20V. It takes longer even with several batteries but I just work on the parts as they cure and it gets done and is sure easier on my back. I've been using it for nearly 10 years now and it just keeps going. I also got a little chainsaw using the same batteries that I leave in my Jeep. I rigged a set up to charge batteries off the Jeep. I've used it twice to cut out trees that have fallen across the road. Not a powerhouse saw but gets the job done and doesn't stink up the Jeep with saw gas so I always have it with me. YMMV
    Dennis
    Like Dennis, I have a 20 volt Lith Ion Black and Decker.
    ABout 6 years ago, my 2 cyl gas trimmer wouldn't start, so I bought the B&D. I live in town, so I don't have farm weeds. I am impressed with the automatic line feed. BUT, I wasn't impressed with Battery life (factory 2.0 Ah). Then I bought a aftermarket 6.0 Ah off of Amazon. It takes me half an hour to trim my yard (I am told, I have a lot of personality in my yard, I guess that means I got a lot to trim around, LOL). The 2.0 battery wouldn't do it all, without charging. The 6.0 Battery lasts over an hour, so I am able to do it twice on one charge.

The B&D has been good for these 6 years, but is showing it's wear. If and when it gives out, I am considering the upgrade, to the Milwaukee M18 straight shaft (split). I already have a bunch of Milwaukee tools and batteries.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Buddy

I've had a Stihl FS-86 since the early 90s, shoulder harness and handlebars. It still runs like a top and with 16+ acres I'll never get rid of it.

Boolit Master

My dad bought a Stihl FSA-57 battery weedeater to replace his Stihl gas model since the old one was too hard for him to start and too heavy for him.

When his foot was bad, he had me come over and weed eat for him. I was amazed at how well it worked and how light it was.

The battery lasted for the entire 45 minutes it took me to trim everything, and the string feeder worked well. I put the battery in the charger and it was fully charged in about half an hour.

He said it cost him about $125 at the local Stihl dealer.

I've got one on my list to replace my Murray gas trimmer since it is so heavy and my back hurts after half an hour of work.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/tr...rimmers/fsa57/
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12