Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingLoad DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: CCI LR Primer Anvils Falling out when De-Priming from 308 Winchester

Boolit Master

CCI LR Primer Anvils Falling out when De-Priming from 308 Winchester

Started having an interesting situation when de-priming .308 Winchester brass that I had shot cast boolits in this week. Using set of Lyman .308 Winchester dies (Been using them since 1980’s). I de-primed 11 cases and 9 of the 11 primers had the anvils fall out of the Primer Cup. These loads were not hot by any means and the anvils showed no pressure signs. But; the anvils were not staying in the primer cup after de-priming. This happens from time to time (maybe 1 or 2 in a couple hundred from my experience – but nothing like what I am seeing here.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Primers - Anvils.jpg 
Views:	13 
Size:	57.7 KB 
ID:	300981

These primers were from a couple of boxes of CCI #200 Large Rifle Primers that I bought when a few were available over the last 6 months (2 boxes of 100 was the maximum one could buy). They are not from my stash of primers from several years ago. I am wondering if anyone else has had similar experience. Seems that it could be a quality control issue in primer production, Of course; no telling when these particular primers were produced given our current availability challenges; and the resurrection of long forgotten stock forgotten in the back of storage rooms and warehouses.

Of course for most shooters this is a moot issue. As long as the Primer went BANG, and the accuracy was good and predictable, most would say no harm no foul. But; given the movement towards reloading primers in this era of perpetual shortages; this might be an issue trying to stuff those anvils back into a cup with a new primer mixture.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master

I wouldn't worry about it. If you decide to reuse the primers, you'll be flattening out, from the inside, where the firing pin hit the cup. That will leave more depth for the anvil to seat deeper in the cup.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    Is it possible that you seated the primer flush with the case head and when fired with the light load, the primer backed out, but was reseated when the case pushed back against the bolt? If not bottomed out in the primer pocket, the anvil could move as the primer cup moved back during discharge. The problem may not be with the primer.

Boolit Master

Always possible; but I am using a Lee Ram Prime Priming Unit for Single Stage Press. This historically has done a good job of fully seating primers.
    Mustang

"In the beginning... the patriot is a scarce man, and brave and hated and scorned. When his cause succeeds, the timid join him, for then it costs nothing to be a patriot." - Mark Twain.

Boolit Master
    Heck, I consider that a positive. If someday I decide to 'refurbish' primers then the first step is to remove the anvils. And, yes, about half the anvils usually do fall out when I deprime cases. Always have for me.

If the primers go bang reliably then why fret over this?

Boolit Master

the cci primers are preferred for remaking because of this "problem", the anvils are easy to get out.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Boolit Master
    CCI anvils fall out for me, but not so much for Federal or WLP.

-delete-

Not an issue.
    Press on . . .

Boolit Master

I don't see that as a problem as long as they're intact when seated.
    "There is nothing like looking, if you want to find something."
    ~Thorin Oakenshield

Boolit Master
    Do new primers seat without issue in these cases?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jsizemore View Post
    Do new primers seat without issue in these cases?
    Yes - those were NEW Primers. CCI #200
    Mustang

Boolit Buddy
    They fired when you shot so who cares.