Reloading EverythingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLee Precision
Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shot Shells for 45 ACP

Windy West Texas, between the rocks, and the trees.

Shot Shells for 45 ACP

Ok, I will readily admit this is a fishing expedition.

Who out there is building their own 45 ACP shot shells, using the cut-down 308 Winchester case?
    Pain in the neck, ain't it?
    While researching the 45 Turkish cartridge for the Providence Tool Martini rifle (whole different subject!),
    I ran across an outfit selling trimmed and sized 45acp M15 brass, made from 308 cases. Thought it was
    interesting, until I saw their pricing. Nearly choked!

Ok, here's my pitch:

What would you prospective 45 ACP shotshell loaders think would be a decent price for formed shotshell
    cases? I am tooled-up and ready to make said brass, and I am NOT using 308 brass. I have loaded the
    stated cases, with #8 1/2 and #12 shot, and they work excellent. The finished product is indistinguishable from a commercially available product, other than one is brass, and the other aluminum.

The floor is open....
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master

I have made my own on a few occasions. An afternoon spent forming brass resulted in enough cases/cartridges to last me at least a couple of years. I know there are commercial dies available, but 45acp sizer, 41 mag seater or sizer and cut to length, use a 44 mag RN seater plug to roll crimp either a card or gas check and your good to go.

For me, because I can form them and load them myself out of free range pickup brass and my available dies, it would have to be a quarter or less per case for me to be interested.

One plus when loading yourself, you can prime, seat, and add your overpowder wad before you form the shoulder and neck.

For someone that doesn’t have the extra dies, their price point could/would be higher. For me, there is no interest in paying any more than a quarter a piece. I can make them for free and enjoy the process of being able to do it myself. Just my experiences on the subject.

The shot cartridges I loaded using 9 and 12 shot would cycle my Kimber reliably. Patterns were decent, also.

For someone that just wants to take the easy route, $1.00 per case might be the price point. They are reusable so 25 cases could last quite a while.

Your loading method, and mine, are the same. Works like a charm, and do not have to fork-over a week's pay for a special set of dies!
    A buck a round sound's way better than the $80 per 25 I saw advertised!

Have you tried #4 shot, in any of your loads? I saw reference to using #4 in 45 shot shells for rabbit work.
    Rights, and Privileges, are not synonymous. We have the Right to Bear Arms. As soon as the Government mandates firearm registration, and permiting, then that Right becomes a Privilege, and may be taken away at our Master's discretion.

Boolit Master
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Master

No, I haven't tried 4s. Biggest i would try would probably be 6s. For snakes and varmits, the smaller shot with better patterns is all I have looked for.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I tried the CCI "Big 4" shotshells in .357, and while the shot would penetrate through 3/8" plywood at 15 ft., patterns were so thin as to be completely useless. A .45 ACP holds a similar shot payload to the .357. The .44 Magnum and .45 Colt carry more shot have some potential if you are close, around 10 feet, but beyond that there aren't enough pellets in the pattern to be effective.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCI-Big4Shot10ft..jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	51.6 KB 
ID:	300982Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCI-Big4-10ft6inchBbl..jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	29.2 KB 
ID:	300983Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCI-Big4-15ft.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	34.4 KB 
ID:	300985Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCI-Big4-15ft6inchBbl.jpg 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	300984Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Big4in45Colt10ft.jpg 
Size:	39.7 KB 
ID:	300986
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-04-2022 at 06:28 PM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

I am a big fan of Pistol Shot Shell, ever since the T/C came out with the Hot Shot. Wanted one desperately, but never had the funds when they were readily available. So I bought the speer capsules for .38/.357 and satisfied myself for awhile. Even in their heyday availability was spotty. I was economical by choice and circumstance so I looked to my favorite in-print Mentor at the time Maj. George Nonte. Tons of idea's and used all of them. Including some considered questionable today. I lurked here for several years before joining another several years ago. All for the Pistol Shot Shell gab. Some of the .45 ACP shot shell production by members of this forum is ( to me ) simply amazing! and perfect!
    Unfortunately, for me a little costly. So please view the following suggestion as something a at the time 65 yr/old 10 years ago came up with ro have a snake load ready from my Colt Government while on summer Safari on the deer lease near Sweetwater Texas.
    Putting my Maj. Nonte hat on working with items already in my tool box, I took once fired .45 acp shell and sized it. Then (well lubed) I ran it as far as it would go into a .44 special sizing die. Then, using a CCI .44 shot cup filled with #12 shot Its seated over 3.5 grains Bullseye. I then use a .44 taper die gently to snug up the shot cup. Sometimes a dab of glue.
    It looks like a monstrosity. Fed single shot into the action, magazine loaded with regular hard ball to back it up. But, the rattler is fairly shredded. It always cycled the action and ejects normally. About as low cost as you can get.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Thanks, Outpost75 for the test results. That confirms my suspicion about larger shot. If I need bigger than #9 shot in my revolvers- I'll switch to my 18" .410 single shot and it's superior performance- compared to a handgun.
    Challenger- what brass are you using in lieu of .308?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    As FYI here are typical patterns for CCI and handloaded handgun shot tested in common "snake gun"calibers. Click on the picture to display full size, so you can read the notes written on the targets. D1C repair center is 11 inches square with 4" inner ring and 8 inch outer ring:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5in1No8ShotAndBallBondArms.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	58.7 KB 
ID:	301030Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5ft-Speer9mmNo12.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	44.7 KB 
ID:	301031Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer9mmNo12.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	61.5 KB 
ID:	301037Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38SplNo.8shot5ft2inchBbl.jpg 
Views:	60 
Size:	49.0 KB 
ID:	301032Click image for larger version. 

Name:	38SplNo8Shot6ftRugerVaquero.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	301033Click image for larger version. 

Name:	M1911Speer45ACPNo9Shot.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	42.3 KB 
ID:	301034Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Glock40calShot10ft.jpg 
Views:	50 
Size:	30.4 KB 
ID:	301035Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CCI22MagShot5ft.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	31.8 KB 
ID:	301036Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Speer45ACPNo9BondArms5ft.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	301038

Fine shot is best. For sure snake killing distance 5-6 feet is best. Beyond 10 feet is iffy.
    Last edited by Outpost75; 06-06-2022 at 11:47 AM.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

I have to confess, I just get the whole handgun shotshell thing. If you are close enough for a handgun shotshell to be effect, you are close enough to put a bullet just where you want it with great precision.

I have been tramping around in snake country for a very long time and never wished I had shotshells in my handgun.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Buddy

I’ve spent some time in the woods in snake season too. If you see a snake leave it alone, and you are safe. If you don’t see it and step on/ touch it, you get snake bit. As far as carrying a gun for “protection “, you may as well carry a rabbits foot.

Boolit Master

There is someone on flea bay that sells a 3d printed cut off jig for the harbor freight mini saw. It cuts .308 down to length. If you need a bunch cut.
    (Moderators if I messed up please delete)

I always thought it would be a good idea for law enforcement. Don't have to use a 'duty' round. We get calls a few times a year to remove snakes, I have always pinned the head, picked them up and drove them down the road, and re-homed them in another section of woods. Non poisonous snakes only. Have never gotten a call for poisonous snake.
    Other Deputies would either not go to the call or kill whatever type of snake it was.

The shot loads with #12 won’t go through the chicken coop wall like real bullets will. As a kid, the .22 version was called Rat Shot by everyone. A feed room at night with flashlights and pistols was fun stuff!

I don’t go through a lot of them and the last ones I bought here were already ready to go.

However, if I did use a bunch of them, I would probably build something like my .223 to 300blk case cutter.

It makes them way faster than you can load them.

Boolit Mold
    I use Winchester .45 Magnum brass. Works great no need to trim them before forming. I use the RCBS custom .45 shotshell forming and reloading die sets. However when I bought them in the 80's they weren't made of gold. You might check huntington site for the current cost.

TBG: In answer to your question, 45 Winchester Magnum cases. They are an RCH shorter than the "Trim-To" length called out for the cut 308 cases, yet they have thinner case walls so more shot capacity.

Boolit Buddy
    I bought a 10 pack? of loaded 45 acp shotshells several decades ago and never fired a one. They have lived in an ammo can of odds and ends for years. They have aluminum cases and a clear blue wad over the shot.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    I don’t go through a lot of them and the last ones I bought here were already ready to go.

However, if I did use a bunch of them, I would probably build something like my .223 to 300blk case cutter.

It makes them way faster than you can load them.
    You have the coolest toys!

"He who dies with the most toys WINS!"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by johniv View Post
    I’ve spent some time in the woods in snake season too. If you see a snake leave it alone, and you are safe. If you don’t see it and step on/ touch it, you get snake bit. As far as carrying a gun for “protection “, you may as well carry a rabbits foot.
    If I am in the woods or somewhere, I would leave a venomous snake alone. If it is near my house for my personal safety it dies ASAP. Much too easy to step on one or put your hand somewhere to pick something up and get bitten. I am especially careful when picking up the dogs' water bowl.
    I last killed a water moccasin that was three feet from me when hanging up cloths. Only had my house 9mm on me and not the .38 with shot in my pocket. I shot its head off.
    A snake bite can easily cost 75 k to treat.
    Last edited by barnetmill; 07-08-2022 at 09:55 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast