Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Wideners

Thread: Lyman Ideal .308 Resizing Die

Lyman Ideal .308 Resizing Die

Got this in a trade. I'm guessing this is part of Lyman's equivalent to the Lee-Loader. I assume you hammer it in flush then tap it out. Is this part of a set? Does anyone use something like this? Seems to be in good condition - no rust.
    Attachment 300939 Attachment 300940
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

I have about 50 of them in various calibers. I do use them from time to time. I used an arbor press and not a hammer.
    Disclaimer: The above is not holy writ. It is just my opinion based on my experience and knowledge. Your mileage may vary.

Boolit Grand Master
    To add to what my friend Char-Gar said, you can think of this die as an unthreaded full length sizing die. While a hammer may be used to drive cases in and out, an arbor press works much better (and more quietly) or you can even lay it into a bench vise and close the jaws to press in the case. Be sure to give the case a very light coat of lube so it doesn't hang up.

If we go back to the days of Lyman tong tools and the little TruLine Jr press, these were the way to accomplish FL sizing of all but the smallest straight sided cases. They're sort of (gasp) obsolete now, but still an interesting part of our reloading heritage.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"