Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Wideners
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky

Thread: LEE LIQUID ALOX for "de-leading"

Boolit Master

LEE LIQUID ALOX for "de-leading"

Hey to all members:
    A few months ago, I purchased (from a member) a couple 500 count Missouri .411 cast boolits. One box is 215 grain bbswc, and the other is 225 grain bbrnfp. I bought these for light loading, and plinkin in my S&W 57. I loaded a couple dozen of each last week to try out. It is stated on the boxes that the bhn is 18. I'm not a fan of bevel base boolits, and in my opinion they do contribute to leading issues. In fact, I was reading some of Glen Frixells writings, and he went into detail about why this "may" happen. So, after shooting a couple cylinders full of the swc style, I checked the bore. Sho-nuff, leading was definitely prevalent, and purty seriously. I scrubber the bore with my rooten-tooten bore brush, wrapped with the "copper" Chore Boy. That makes short work out of bore leading. I repeated my shooting and cleaning until I depleted my ammo supply. The swc, or the rnfp style made no difference. The leading was terrible. What to do??? I had heard of coating cast boolits with LLA to help this leading issue. Again, Glen Frixells article "did" mention this as one of the options for boolit leading issues. So, I lightly coated a few dozen, and let them set over night to dry. I loaded them a couple days ago, all with 7.2 grains of HP-38. At the range, ohhh yeah. Yesterday at the range, I followed the same cadence of shooting as last week. I checked the bore after a cylinder full. There was some light streaking. I ran my brush down the bore and repeated. Again, slight streaking down the bore. But, it didn't look like streaking lead ??? So I took a .38 brush and wrapped it with 3 layers of patch material. Poked it down the bore and done the in & out. The streaks were gone, and there was no lead on the patch. There was a light greasy powder fouling on the patch. It was the LLA, no lead. I shot all my rounds, and the bore stayed nice and clean, free of lead. It was a great day at the range, yessss! I know im not the first to do this with the LLA, but, if you haven't tried it, you may want to.
    Regards
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master
    What I would do, and have done in the past, is put all your boolits in a pot of boiling water to get the lube off. It will melt and float to the top. Clean the boolits best you can then powder coat them. It's easy to bulk batch powder coat if you know how.

littlejack, I’ve often coated commercial bullets with Lee Liquid Alox and solved the leading problem, sometimes at 357 velocities. Even with Ruger level loads in 45 Colt, Lee Liquid Alox does well for me.

Seems like a lot of work to delube and powder coat if alox works.
    Last edited by Castaway; 06-03-2022 at 03:21 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Powder coating trumps a lot of methods. I have used LLA with gas checks and had no problems.

Boolit Master

Lla is great. I love it.

Boolit Master

Glad to hear I'm on the right track. Thanks for the encouragement.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I tumble commercial hard-cast in LA on top of the hard blue lube which comes 9n them and it fixes the leading problem. No need to boil off the old lube.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Outpost75:
    Yes, that's what I did. Thought about taking the hard lube off, and refilling it with my good stuff, but decided to try the LLA coating first. Works great.

Boolit Master

Outpost75:
    Yes, that's what I did. Thought about taking the hard lube off, and refilling it with my good stuff, but decided to try the LLA coating first. Works great.

Boolit Master

Yup.. Any time I've bought commercially lubed bullets..they always get a thin alox or alix/carnauba mix. It's extra insurance.

Boolit Master
    Try Ben’s liquid lube. It’s even better than liquid alox.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

Boolit Master
    i think that the problem is the very hard commercial lube. remove it and re-lube with a soft lube ; or use lla or bens liquid lube. i don't powder coat and never will. much eaiser to run the bullets thru a lubesizer. i donot have leading. pretty colored bullets don't do anything for me.

Boolit Grand Master

Been advising a Light coat of LLA on all commercial cast bullets with any sort of harder wax lube. I just arbitrarily do it now with all commercial cast. Little to no leading since I began doing this years ago which is why I've been recommending it for as long.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master

Larry:
    I missed your memo on the LLA. Thank you for sharing. This is one of the great attributes of this forum. We gain so much knowledge, and get lots of information from other members.

You can also coat your barrel with JPW , I see it works good when shooting shot shells in my wheel gun and I use it in all my other ones . I LLA on my buck shot for my rifles and handguns light shot .
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA