Lee PrecisionWidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load DataInline FabricationRepackboxReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Cost to Reload 12 ga

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    International Skeet dropped shot charges trying to get scores to separate on the shooter. That failed, lighter loads and scores went up.
    I’ve no practical experience at International and know it’s more difficult than American skeet , however my 12 gauge average took a noticeable improvement when I quit the Remington 11/87 in the 12 gauge event and shot the Krieghoff with 20 tubes in the 12 gauge . I always thought it more the same feel . But for awhile I played with 20 gauge 1 ounce for the 12 event . The ounce loads broke the targets plenty well enough but it was a lot more comfortable once I started using the same 7/8 ounce loads I used in the 20 event .
    Parker's , 6.5mm's and my family in the Philippines

Quote Originally Posted by 6pt-sika View Post
    I’ve no practical experience at International and know it’s more difficult than American skeet , however my 12 gauge average took a noticeable improvement when I quit the Remington 11/87 in the 12 gauge event and shot the Krieghoff with 20 tubes in the 12 gauge . I always thought it more the same feel . But for awhile I played with 20 gauge 1 ounce for the 12 event . The ounce loads broke the targets plenty well enough but it was a lot more comfortable once I started using the same 7/8 ounce loads I used in the 20 event .
    Have you ever shot a few hundred 20 ga loads consecutively then switched back to the 12 ga? I am always amazed how I react on the first shot. Only happens to me if I shoot a few hundred rounds then switch. I shoot 2,500 rnds of shotgun per year, so maybe it would be different if I shot 10,000+.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkP View Post
    Have you ever shot a few hundred 20 ga loads consecutively then switched back to the 12 ga? I am always amazed how I react on the first shot. Only happens to me if I shoot a few hundred rounds then switch. I shoot 2,500 rnds of shotgun per year, so maybe it would be different if I shot 10,000+.
    I am recoil sensitive and shot over 15k a year. Most were 1 1/8 oz at 1145 fps and the HC loads were 1200 fps.

The "secrets" to dealing with recoil are gun fit, gun weight and adding recoil reducing devices. It is not possible to be competitive in trap shooting using less than 1 1/8 oz in singles, HC or second shot of doubles. At most big shoots there is a 400 bird day...100 singles, 100 HC and 100 pair of doubles. Imperative that recoil get tamed.

But for most people being competitive is not important. Go to the club, shoot 3 or 4 rounds, BS with buddies and be proud they broke 23/25. But that score (92/100) will not win the lowest class in Singles at a registered shoot.

One size does not fit all. Folks can have a blast shooting 7/8 and 1 oz loads, but do not let anyone convince you less is more. There is a good reason there are upper limits to payload in competitions.

In the end it is about having fun. Lot's of guys shoot light loads but none are serious. They have just as much fun as anyone else.
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post

The "secrets" to dealing with recoil are gun fit, gun weight and adding recoil reducing devices. It is not possible to be competitive in trap shooting using less than 1 1/8 oz in singles, HC or second shot of doubles. At most big shoots there is a 400 bird day...100 singles, 100 HC and 100 pair of doubles. Imperative that recoil get tamed.

....In the end it is about having fun.
    This is what I found when we were shooting that much. The final thought is the most important. My Son was pretty good but did not like practicing though I wished he would. We ended up making our own games such as seeing who could break the target closest to the ground, etc.. All about the memories and we have some good ones. They grow up and move away. Such is life.

Boolit Master
    I had a K-32 set up to shoot both trap and skeet . It amazed me how much more 12 gauge in the skeet barrels thumped me vs 12 gauge in the unsingle barrel or the 32” O/U trap doubles barrels . Obviously the stock was the same for both but the same standard 1 1/8 ounce load was different in the three barrels , granted the skeet barrels were 28” and the others were34 and 32 inches but still it shouldn’t have been that noticeable .

Boolit Master
    I’m NO FAN of recoil reducers . Or barrel weights on an O/U . I no longer have the K-32 but I shoot a heck of a lot of 8-10-12-16 and 20 gauge in SxS events all different guns . And sure they all feel a bit different but none batter me .

Boolit Master
    Any trap shoots I did years ago were typically 200 at 16 , 100 at handicap and 50 pair of doubles . I’ve been to some marathon shoots where they’d throw 500 16’s or handicap or 250 pair of doubles .

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    But for most people being competitive is not important. Go to the club, shoot 3 or 4 rounds, BS with buddies and be proud they broke 23/25. But that score (92/100) will not win the lowest class in Singles at a registered shoot.

One size does not fit all. Folks can have a blast shooting 7/8 and 1 oz loads, but do not let anyone convince you less is more. There is a good reason there are upper limits to payload in competitions.
    While I don’t disagree I don’t totally agree either . Once you’ve shot competitively and gained any upward trend in average even after you’ve quit mediocrity in score isn’t acceptable . As to shot over no problem using 7 1/2 for everything except perhaps the 410 . And dare I say I’ll beat most people at my club in trap or skeet with them being regulars and me being a by gone shooter using a SxS now . But a long time ago I had what I think as somewhat of a mental advantage , I NEVER differentiated between trap and skeet . To me if you see the target you break the target and I shot both a lot some weekends I’d shoot a skeet shoot and a trap shoot meaning 900ish targets a weekend . Now at a SxS event it seems i shoot about 700-1000 targets and just about all the events are 50 targets . Heck when I went to NC in April I had ten Guns I planned on shooting .

Boolit Master

I find I do better with an equivalent load in a smaller tube. IE.. 1oz in a 20 vs a 12..

Boolit Master

I am loading for 12ga. and not sure what it is costing me. I am still using hulls, shot and primers I've had since the mid 60's. Powder is the only thing I have to buy. My loads are pretty basic,,,3drams equivalent and 1-1/8 shot. I only need the reloads for grouse and quail hunting, so overall I don't need a lot of ammunition.
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123