Titan ReloadingWidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision

Thread: Hey. Need help searching.

Hey. Need help searching.

Trying to look for info on 44-40 smokeless load recommendations in the favorite cartridge section but don’t know the technique. Thanks.

Mike.

If you have no luck, and I never had any using SEARCH on this forum, type in Hodgdon. Look at something that says reloading. Select your cartridge

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Sometimes the search engine here works better than other times.

Boolit Grand Master

The search function worked well until one of the updates a while ago. Since than not so much. It's been years since it was workable.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

We all beat our head on the table with this problem. I have found that sometimes... If you go to the forum or sub forum and use the Search Forum at the top of that forum instead of the one above Advanced Search I have better luck finding what I want. No guarantees. The other way is using google fu type CAST BOOLITS 44-40 smokeless, again no guarantee.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Buddy

What type of load are you looking for? GW

44-40 smokeless. I have a great black powder load. Thanks

Boolit Master
    The third edition of the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook only lists two powders for 44/40. On page 279 they list Bullseye: starting charge - 4.0 grains for 695 fps, max. is 6.6 grains for 945 fps, and Unique: 6.0 grains for 750 fps, and max. at 10.9 grains for 1095 fps. This is with the Lyman # 42798 205 grain boolit loaded to an OAL. of 1.592" Hope this helps.

Moderator Emeritus

44-40 loads site:castboolits.gunloads.com

Type (or copy/paste) the above into Google, and you will get about 4,000 results...all in the castboolits forum.
    Lots of reading and learning.
    One of those 4,000 threads is mine. A fun read about my tribulations with 44-40.
    https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...56-44-40-hate-
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Master

https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=001951...69:ggn3vg-bjum

someone posted this a little while ago, (sorry don't remember the name) it works. Just copy and paste. I have it saved so I can come back to it.
    It will open a new window and just type what you are looking for
    Hope it helps

I use Google's site search operator when I need to find info here. The operator targets your search to a specific website address. It works really well for searching discussion forums. It easy just add the word "site", a colon, and the website address to your search words. Even works with DuckDuckGo. Try it:

Site:castboolits.gunloads.com 44-40 smokeless load recommendation

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Send me a PM with an email address which can accept large .pdf files and I can send back issues of The Fouling Shot with info. Also contact Savvy Jack on the Marlin Owners Forum, he has archived all of John Kort's articles on his web site.

BLUF: Accurate 43-215C cast 1 to 30 tin-lead, your BP lube is fine with smokeless l. I use 50-50 olive oil and beeswax. In my 1905 Colt SA I load 6 grains of Bullseye, 7 grains 231, 8 grains of Unique, 8.5 AutoComp or 18.5 IMR4227. In Winchester 1873 22 grains of IMR4198 or 24.5 grains of RL7.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Buddy

Light SASS load I use 5,0- 5,5 Promo/Red Dot under a 200 RFN GW

Hey all. Thanks for the smokeless ideas! I’ll check them out.

By the way, i was able to pick John Kort’s brain a bit back in the day. He was amazing in his willingness to document a path for so many to follow.

FYI, my black powder load; I use 30g 2f Swiss, no filler, Lyman 429667 mold sized to 429, starline brass, federal large magnum pistol primers, 50/50 pure/hardball lead, lens lube, oal 1.588-1.59 inches. Marlin 1894 Cowboy or Uberti Henry…John recommended the marlin and the powder, I had always used 3f goex. I was stubborn about my mold, but didn’t he designed that amazing accurate mold?

Later….

Mike

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by JonB_in_Glencoe View Post
    44-40 loads site:castboolits.gunloads.com

Type (or copy/paste) the above into Google, and you will get about 4,000 results...all in the castboolits forum.
    -[/url]
    Thanks for the work around. I was not aware of that method.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Morning. I’m getting ready to order an accurate mold 43-215c, do you prefer brass, aluminum or iron and do you know what John Kort used? It’s for a Marlin 1894 Cowboy. Thanks again for the information you sent.

Mike.

Boolit Buddy

I a a Saeco #446 4 cavity am thinking of getting rid of. Thinking $125 shipped if your interested. GW