Lee PrecisionWidenersInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingLoad DataTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Repackbox

Thread: Classic Yomomma Loader for .410

Classic Yomomma Loader for .410

Video to follow. Have to actually squeeze off some rounds to be able to reload.

3" dies to follow

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like it might be a worthwhile item, but the UTube video was excruciating to watch. I cut it off when nearly halfway through and the device hadn’t even been shown. I’ll try again to skip ahead.

Is there a video even in there anywhere about this tool? I can’t find it after some serious searching.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 06-02-2022 at 01:03 PM.
    "It aint easy being green!"

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Looks like it might be a worthwhile item, but the UTube video was excruciating to watch. I cut it off when nearly halfway through and the device hadn’t even been shown. I’ll try again to skip ahead.

Is there a video even in there anywhere about this tool? I can’t find it after some serious searching.

Froggie
    I am sorry I caused you such discomfort

LMAO, it is what it is. Just finished making the last part yesterday, hopefully get some time this weekend to do a video

Boolit Grand Master

Froggie
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Are you planning to sell this as a set?

Quote Originally Posted by trooperdan View Post
    Are you planning to sell this as a set?
    Unfortunately I have no plan on building multiple of these to sell. I might build another and improve on the design and sell the old one, but that would be about it. Unless of course it would be for a friend.

OK, For those of you that were waiting for the video and were smart enough not to click on the link to my channel, the video is below. If you find this video excruciating to watch, please, please, please do yourself and me a favour and just hit the web browser back button. I am an outdoor enthusiast first, not a videographer.

Boolit Grand Master
    Very good! I do enjoy a video in a chatty, casual style when the maker is actually talking about what I’m expecting to hear. This is just what I was hoping to see the first time… I guess I just got ahead of myself, or jumped the gun, or whatever analogy you want to use. Sorry if I came off too strident, but I’ve just grown weary of what I regard as egregious click bait, and that was what I incorrectly thought was coming from your first post.

Your 410 kit takes advantage of the tried and true principles used since the first reloading was done. I’ve used similar tools for metallic cartridges, but although I have a Lee Loader set for the 2 1/2” shotgun shell in 410 bore, it sits in its box unused since I won it at auction. Maybe seeing this video will inspire me to dig it out and put it to work.

One suggestion that may save you a lot of work is that you can just make a base with a stepped depression to space the shell a half inch deeper in the base then use the same crimping tools to do the longer shell. If the die body is held up by the step, the rest of the tool parts will be at the right depth to achieve the proper crimp. I had a Lee Loader that was set up this way to do 32 S&W and S&W Long with all tool parts but the base remaining the same. This one extra base part would double the set’s usefulness but keep the kit small.

Froggie

Very good! I do enjoy a video in a chatty, casual style when the maker is actually talking about what I’m expecting to hear. This is just what I was hoping to see the first time… I guess I just got ahead of myself, or jumped the gun, or whatever analogy you want to use. Sorry if I came off too strident, but I’ve just grown weary of what I regard as egregious click bait, and that was what I incorrectly thought was coming from your first post.

Your 410 kit takes advantage of the tried and true principles used since the first reloading was done. I’ve used similar tools for metallic cartridges, but although I have a Lee Loader set for the 2 1/2” shotgun shell in 410 bore, it sits in its box unused since I won it at auction. Maybe seeing this video will inspire me to dig it out and put it to work.

One suggestion that may save you a lot of work is that you can just make a base with a stepped depression to space the shell a half inch deeper in the base then use the same crimping tools to do the longer shell. If the die body is held up by the step, the rest of the tool parts will be at the right depth to achieve the proper crimp. I had a Lee Loader that was set up this way to do 32 S&W and S&W Long with all tool parts but the base remaining the same. This one extra base part would double the set’s usefulness but keep the kit small.

Froggie
    All good my friend and also a good suggestion. The intention for this, as mentioned in the video, is to see if I can make it.

I just got into .410 about a month ago and so far have only squeezed off about two rounds. This will probably end up at the remote cabin in the "emergency" 50 cal ammo can.

Regards

Boolit Master

Neat kit! Thanks for sharing. I went the brass case route, with a countersunk hole in a piece of oak and a spare Lee decapping pin, a wood dowel to seat wads. I resize,if needed with a cut off 45 acp carbide die and a magnum size shell holder. It’s not near as pretty as yours, but works. Tim

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Retumbo View Post
    All good my friend and also a good suggestion. The intention for this, as mentioned in the video, is to see if I can make it.

I just got into .410 about a month ago and so far have only squeezed off about two rounds. This will probably end up at the remote cabin in the "emergency" 50 cal ammo can.

Regards
    Pocket sized kits, such as the late lamented Lyman 310 tool sets, the Pac-Kit, and of course the Lee Loader are perfect for just what you describe, loading a few rounds “on demand” at hunting camp or other getaway spot. Friends of mine who were preppers before prepping was cool also loved them. I think you have just about reduced your set to the smallest possible dimensions that will still accomplish the duty assigned. You might even be able to get by with a cigar box carrier to go even more compact, but the 50 cal box you mention gives plenty of room for the tools and enough components to load a bunch of ammo! Good job and a nice presentation.

Froggie

PS. When putting together one of my sets I discovered that a crab hammer makes a great mallet for depriming etc. For any inlanders reading this, a crab hammer is a small wooden mallet for smashing the claws of steamed crabs to get at the delicious meat inside. If you have trouble finding one, try Bed, Bath and Beyond. They sent me one here in the VA foothills!