Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWideners
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Recommendation for commercial cast boolits for 44 Mag rifle

Boolit Mold

Recommendation for commercial cast boolits for 44 Mag rifle

I have a Henry 44 mag rifle that slugs out at exactly 0.431". Tried Missouri Bullet Company 240gr 0.432" 18 BHN bullets and leaded my barrel trying to shoot 1350 fps over either Unique or Universal. I'm clearly doing something wrong because I shoot tons of MBC's 200gr LSWC BHN 12 in my 45 with no leading. I do not have the time or desire to cast my own, so I need recommendations on commercial bullets that I can buy that won't lead up my ride. These are not for hunting loads, but for plinking. I have to shoot exposed lead bullets at my clubs silhouette range so I don't damage the steel critters. I presently shoot smallbore silhouette and would like to try pistol caliber silhouette some day. I think the cowboy loads are a bit too weak and have too much of a rainbow for 100 meter rams, so I was hoping to shoot a 200gr boolit a bit faster. I've learned from shooting 200gr XTPs that I much prefer the recoil of the 200gr boolits compared to the 240s for plinking. Any help would be appreciated!

Boolit Buddy
    I have used these guys for the past 30 years. Check your bore size and keep them under 1300fps.
    https://www.bearcreeksupplybullets.com/price-sheet

Boolit Master
    Sometimes a couple of light coats of a tumble lube bullet lube will help get past the leading so you can at least use what you already have.

Vendor Sponsor

Figure out what your throat diameter is and size to fit the throat. Forget the barrel slug. If you shoot the same alloy successfully in other guns and it leads the Henry I would submit that this is a fitment issue.

You are aware that there are two different SAAMI specs for 44 caliber, one for rifle and one for revolver? SAAMI specs for a rifle are larger than revolver.
    Got a .22 .30 .32 .357 .38 .40 .41 .44 .45 .480 or .500 S&W cylinder that needs throats honed? 9mm, 10mm/40S&W, 45 ACP pistol barrel that won't "plunk" your handloads? 480 Ruger or 475 Linebaugh cylinder that needs the "step" reamed to 6° 30min chamfer? Click here to send me a PM You can also find me on Facebook Click Here.

Boolit Master
    BHN on your new bullets are a bit high for the load your using. Your 45's at 12 (that's about COWW hardness) are at the upper limit of the powders your using. Your 44's are about Lyman #2 hardness which is fine if your pushing them hard/fast but not so good for those silhouette plinking loads. The faster burning powders will obturate the the bullet base while still in the throat but not at 18BHN. If you could get 10 or 12 BHN bullets at .432 you may stand a better chance of not gas cutting the bullets and leading your barrel. Somewhere around 8-10 BHN would be even better.

Boolit Master
    18g of 2400 with the right size boolit is a very accurate load and easy on recoil in a marlin

Boolit Master
    I think his problem has to do with shooting silhouette matches where target damage is an issue. Cast lead since it's "cowboy" and low enough velocity so you don't make the steel targets taco shaped. I did find a MBC 44 special/44-40 cowboy #20 that looks to give you enough bearing length, bottom driving band thickness, and cannelure for crimping at 12BHN. Sized to .430 and 210gr is the down side. Maybe call them and see if they can lube them as cast size and then you can size them with a Lee sizer for your press.

The longer bearing length may be enough to get the front of the bullet into the leade and bump the base up to fill the throat and create a better seal.

Could be the pic for the 200gr cowboy #5 is a stock picture from the 185gr bullet bullet with the thin bottom driving band and a small lube groove. I'd sure would hate to run out of lube near the end of the barrel.

Boolit Master
    I tried different bullets in my Henry 44 Magnum and finally came up with Oregon Trail .431 laser cast 240 grain swc's. They were very accurate sitting on 7 grains of Unique for a nice accurate moderate load.
    Britons shall never be slaves.

Boolit Mold
    Thanks for all the great info! These bullets have leaded a Marlin 1894 and my new Henry Steel rifle. Specifically, it leads an area about 2" long that is just past where the chamber ends and rifling starts. It is serious work to remove it with a Chore Boy. I never slugged the Marlin, but did slug the Henry and as I mentioned it is 0.431". This is why I had Missouri Bullets resize my order to 0.432" because the good folks on Cast Boolits suggested going 0.001" over [on one of the sticky threads]. I think the hardness as many have indicated is probably the issue. Powder choice is interesting too - were we not in the current state of affairs I would buy a pound of whatever to try. Yes, I am very aware [and angry] that SAAMI specs 44 pistol at 0.429" and rifle at 0.431. It means when you buy Speer or Nosler jacketed bullets, you are getting 0.429" and XTPs are 0.430" (which seem to work the best). Guess Penn Bullets is out of bullets as there website domain is for sale. I'll look into the suggestions above.

Boolit Master
    You might also check out Montana Bullet Works and Matt's Bullets. I've been really happy with both of them. Matt's Bullets has a really nice 280 grain RNFP that shoots great out of my Rossi 92, and they will size .432" on request.

Boolit Grand Master

I have 5, 44 Magnums including a 20" Puma. SAAMI specs for rifle groove diameter is .431" and handgun .429" (Don't know why). The best bullet I have used, clean shooting is a Ranch Dog RNFP. I have used Beartooth bullets RNFP sized .431" with success, but .433" works better. I believe Beartooth may be defunct. So shop around for a normal BHN, 12-14 or so in a 240-265 gr, RNFP (for feeding)...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

1350 fps ... might want to try a boolit with a gas check on it's base . I use one , gas check , on all loads over 1,000 fps .
    Believe it or not your 18 bhn boolits are probably adding to the lead problem ... they too hard .
    In Elmer Keith's book about loading and casting boolits " Sixgun Cartridges & Loads " he recommends with a plain based boolit , " For heavy loads , over 1,000 fps an alloy of 1 part tin / 16 parts lead is best." 1/16 alloy = 11 bhn . I tend to agree with Elmer and hardness ...although I don't have any problems slapping a gas check on a boolit if it makes my life easier ... I have found that hardness is way over rated and softer can be better .

Make sure you are using good boolit lube and that there is enough for that long reifle barrel .
    Might give those new fangled "coated" boolits a try ... they supposed to best thing since oral ... mouth wash !

I can't help you with where to buy boolits ... I make the time and have the desire to cast my own and the government hasn't stopped me ...yet !
    Gary
    Last edited by gwpercle; 06-02-2022 at 02:26 PM.
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"