MidSouth Shooters Supply RotoMetals2

Thread: What are these flowers

Boolit Grand Master

What are these flowers

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0101.jpg 
Views:	159 
Size:	51.9 KB 
ID:	300879 Okay Gentleman How many know what these flowers are. They arnt Irisis. I took the picture this afternoon

Boolit Master

Daffodils or jonquils, they look much the same.

"Older Southern gardeners would commonly refer to any early, yellow, fragrant narcissus as a jonquil. However, "jonquil" is properly used only as the common name for the Jonquilla group of daffodils. Daffodil is the proper common name for all thirteen groups of these bulbs."

P.S. My wife thinks they may be day lilies. After clicking on the picture and seeing the larger image, they are not daffodils.
    Last edited by ulav8r; 06-01-2022 at 09:36 PM. Reason: Add P.S.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

I think they are an iris. Post a picture of just the flower. One of my growers will identify it. I am in the perennial biz, hc18flyer

Yellow Flag Iris.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Yep I go with Iris. Think daffodils are probably done blooming this year for Ohio.

Boolit Grand Master

They are the blooms in the cattails in the little water garden they have taken over. I seen them bloom in the ditch a few years ago but only the one time after they dug it.

Boolit Grand Master

Picture is somewhat blurry. I'll guess yellow flag iris.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Boolit Master
    SWMBO says they are (Japanese) Iris they like Bogs and like to be wet.
    "The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government..... When the people fear their government there is tyranny, when the government fears the people, there is liberty." Thomas Jefferson

Boolit Grand Master

If they aren't Irises they sure do look like the Irises my wife has planted out back .
    Here in Louisiana they were all getting into full blooming mode about 3 weeks ago ...
    She has white , yellow , dark purple , light purple (lavender) and a purple and gold Louisiana Iris types planted .
    Right now you can go into the Bluebonnet Swamp and see the swamp filled with blooming iris plants ... these are the wild Louisiana Irises ...most are light purple but there are occassional stands of white iris plants ... I have no idea of the names , there is about 280 species of irises so ... I just call them pretty amazing .
    But if any time of year you can call a swamp beautiful ... this would be it !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Yellow Flag Iris.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
    Got em in mass in front of our house here in Mississippi. Wife says they are Yellow Flag Iris also. You can edge them flat and they come back twice as strong. Low maintenance color for the flower beds.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Master

Not day lilys.

Googled images of Yellow Flag Iris are distinct and "proof positive" (thousands more on Google):

If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    Dug a few that we didn't have room for and threw them out in the bar ditch, then we had a fire in same ditch. I thought they were done for but come spring up they came bloomed profusely they are tough.
    Frank G.

If you have an iPhone, take a pic, then click the information icon at bottom (blue circle with an “i” inside) of the pic. Then click “look up plant”
    Last edited by Castaway; 06-02-2022 at 07:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    those things come back no matter what . I have stuff like those yellow ones all over the place, mow em down and they just come back year after year.

Boolit Master
    Soon as I saw them I thought Dutch Iris.

Boolit Master

A closer look showed they were not daffodils, the multiple blooms on one stem on the right in the OP made that clear. Yellow Flag Iris is a flower that I have never seen.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm no expert but the cattails we have growing around here don't make flowers like that ... or at least not any that I have seen .
    Our cattails make a female flower that looks like a fuzzy brown weenie with small brown male flowerettes on short spike stalk above the "brown weenie" ... the fuzzy brown cylindrical female part was what we called the Cat's Tail . But there could be other species of cattails that make a yellow flower ... most of my experience comes from cutting a stalk with a cat tail attached and playing with them ... back in the stone age we made toy's out of everything ! You didn't have no money for store bought toys .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Water Iris.

Jerry
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Boolit Master

Flower ID

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Daffodils or jonquils, they look much the same.

"Older Southern gardeners would commonly refer to any early, yellow, fragrant narcissus as a jonquil. However, "jonquil" is properly used only as the common name for the Jonquilla group of daffodils. Daffodil is the proper common name for all thirteen groups of these bulbs."

P.S. My wife thinks they may be day lilies. After clicking on the picture and seeing the larger image, they are not daffodils.
    Where I grew up, Daylilies were orange. The Yellow flowered lilies were known as Lemon Lilies.

EDITED TO ADD:
    Reading later posts, I concur with the Iris ID.
    Last edited by William Yanda; 06-06-2022 at 06:13 AM. Reason: addition
    Micah 6:8
    He hath shewed thee, O man, what is good; and what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?

"I don't have hobbies - I'm developing a robust post-apocalyptic skill set"
    I may be discharged and retired but I'm sure I did not renounce the oath that I solemnly swore!