Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingInline Fabrication
Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 3/4 oz 12 gauge

I am using the the Pink Downrange wad for a faster 3/4 oz load with E3 powder and the pink Caybuster wad with the post at the bottom of the shot cup with Extra-Lite powder for a 28 ga equivalent load at 1,200 fps. Normally use STS, AA's hulls.
    I use the Win Super Target hulls for sporting clays when I shoot an auto as I hate to lose my older style AA's and STS hulls. The Win Super Target hulls seem to load better than the new AA-HS hulls. They do have a steel head so I get these from a friend who has a tighter chamber.

I talked to a person at Downrange Wads (Hastings NE) they have 3/4 oz data using their Orange wad which is designed for straight hulls in tapered AA type hulls. The gas cup rests on the tapered portion and allows a nice flat crimp. These were developed in their lab. I never did get the orange wads to try.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Wads Side.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	30.7 KB 
ID:	301380

Name:	Wads.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	20.1 KB 
ID:	301381

Top Down:
    Downrange XXL-7/8, CB 3/4 oz, CB WW 1 oz clone, CB078.

Notice the post in the CB 3/4 oz wad.

I ordered some Orange Downrange Wads from Precision Reloader in Mitchell SD and received them today; going to load some 3/4 oz 12 ga and try them over the weekend. Below is a picture of the orange wad next to the Pink 7/8 oz wad for tapered hulls, same column height just different gas seal diameters. Also a sectioned AA HS hull with orange wad seated.

https://downrangemfg.com/index.php/b...m/drxxl-orange

I did receive pressure tested data from Downrange Wads.

All powder is Alliant Red Dot

Name:	DR Orange & Pink.JPG 
Views:	33 
Size:	30.9 KB 
ID:	301682 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DR Orange in AA HS.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	301683

Boolit Master
    Have to give them Downrange wads a try after I use up all the CB wads I have.
    Just when I thought how shoulder friendly 3/4 oz loads in 12 g shoot.I loaded up some 3/4 oz in the 20 g
    And I'm sure a small child can handle the recoil from these loads.

Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Have to give them Downrange wads a try after I use up all the CB wads I have.
    Just when I thought how shoulder friendly 3/4 oz loads in 12 g shoot.I loaded up some 3/4 oz in the 20 g
    And I'm sure a small child can handle the recoil from these loads.
    For sure I started mine daughter and son out with a short stocked Rem 870 28 ga, then graduated to 3/4 oz loads in a Rem 11-87 20 ga.

I use a 12 ga Win M37 single shot for new adult female shooters with 3/4 oz of 8-1/2's.

PM me and I will send you the 3/4 oz DR load data using the DRXXL Orange in tapered hulls.

I haven't tried 700x yet... but that's next as it's what I have left in my supplies.

My go-to 3/4 oz load was Remington STS hull, Federal 209A cap, Downrange XXL pink wad, magnum #8 lead, and enough clays to get 1500fps ballpark. I used it for 16yd trap and short range 5-stand. Grinds up clays better than it should. It cycles my Beretta 391 just fine but was too light to reset the inertia hammer in the Silver Pigeon O/U. Go figure

Quote Originally Posted by 55BoysATR View Post
    I haven't tried 700x yet... but that's next as it's what I have left in my supplies.

My go-to 3/4 oz load was Remington STS hull, Federal 209A cap, Downrange XXL pink wad, magnum #8 lead, and enough clays to get 1500fps ballpark. I used it for 16yd trap and short range 5-stand. Grinds up clays better than it should. It cycles my Beretta 391 just fine but was too light to reset the inertia hammer in the Silver Pigeon O/U. Go figure
    Mine load is the DRXXL pink wad E3 or Extra-lite with 8-1/2's @ a little over 1,400 and as you mention they smash targets better than one would expect them to. I just got 2,000 XXL Oranges to try. With Pink wads my crimps are dished inward slightly, and with New AA-HS I get some shot spillage with 8-1/2's. With orange XXL I get a nice a flat crimp.

Boolit Man
    I use Tight wad with my 12ga 3/4-7/8 oz loads, and brother do they pattern tight at 1300 fps! I am using a BPS wad.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by jim 44-40 View Post
    Thank you, saving shot is the main priority. Have plenty of Cheddite primers to use too.
    Ditto, but I only dropped to 1-oz loads. I don't see a difference in dead clays/target between 1-oz and 1-1/8 oz.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Boolit Master
    I did both 3/4 and 7/8th oz loads of steel in the .12ga using ASTEEL powder...worked great but man are they LOUD...

I’ve loaded with the same components but with 9 shot. It works great for clays under 25 yards.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12