RepackboxWidenersInline FabricationSnyders Jerky
Load DataTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Reloading Everything RotoMetals2

Thread: 38 sp 158 grain cast with green dot

Boolit Master

38 sp 158 grain cast with green dot

I was gifted and 8 lb paper drum of green dot. I opened it and it looks to be in perfect condition. I wish to load 38special with my own 158 grain cast bullets. The only data i could find was in a lee reloading manual that gives a starting load of 3.2 grains and a not to exceed load of 3.7. Does that sound about right? I have a bunch to load and was wondering if I could use a lee dipper for this small amount? The most of my experience is with large rifle loads and i weigh each load, I would like to speed up the process with the 38s and weighing each one seems to be the answer to more productivity.

Boolit Master
    I think you got a HECKUVA gift, there!
    I recall reloading 3.3/Green Dot/158 for a friend's snubby, but it was still more "peppy" than he liked. In a larger revolver, it was quite comfortable. 3.2 - 3.7/Green Dot/158 sounds entirely plausible. It seems I found similar data in an old Speer #10 or #11, so the upper end might be a little warm.
    BTW, I thought Green Dot worked quite well in .45 ACP, though it was too long ago for me to remember the particulars.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

Boolit Buddy
    Wow that’s an awesome gift!!

I used the lee dippers for the first few yrs I reloaded, they work great and a can be consistent. Later I went to the lee powder measure, then the lee auto powder measures.
    I also started making my own from empty brass for weights that Lee dippers didn’t cover. I still use these and the Lee’s for load testing.

My chart shows .3 dipper at 2.4gr greendot and .5 dipper at 4.0gr. You might try trimming a 380/9mm/38 brass down to make one at your desired charge. U can solder a wire on for a handle.

Also the lee “perfect powder measure” works great and inexpensive. It really sped up production of pistol rds and is quite consistent.
    “You’ve got to slow down to be fast” - Dad

Boolit Grand Master

"The only data i could find was in a lee reloading manual that gives a starting load of 3.2 grains and a not to exceed load of 3.7".

That load data is essentially correct. Alliant list a load of 3.5 gr Green Dot for use with a 158 LSWC.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Grand Master
    My suggestion is to load a few by weighing, to find what specific charge weight you want, then making a custom dipper as Wheelgun noted.

Dippers are just a fixed cavity measure. Consistency is all in how you use them.

A lathe type case trimmer is an excellent way to set the right length.

I never used Green Dot in the .38 Special (yet) but I have loaded it in .40 S&W and .45 ACP. Also in several rifles for plinkers.

Robert

Boolit Master
    Green Dot work well in 44 mag also. According to an email from Alliant. That was several years ago
    I'm the King of my castle---anytime my wife's not around
    Life NRA member

"A Government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have"
    Thomas Jefferson

LIFE, LIBERTY, AND THE PURSIUT OF THOSE WHO TREATEN US

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    AS mentioned, consistency is everything with a dipper, but a little practice and you can soon dip consistent grain rates. Dippers are easy to make and I keep anything from a 24ACP spent casing up to make them if the Lees aren't close'

I have used GD fo 38s and 45 Colt and it worked well. Make some weighed test loads up and try them and once you find the sweet spot, figure your dipper out. I often use a dipper for lower grain weights for batch loading 50 to 110 rounds or so and to me, it's just as quick to dip and drop as it is to use my Lyman 55s.

Good luck - you got a great present! Nothing wrong with GD!

Boolit Buddy
    Just tried some IMR green in a 375 ruger. Was really fun at 50 yards with a 240 grain plain based. Used load data for Red Dot. About 1100 and 1300 fps loads. Used two different Lee dippers. 1.3 and 1.6 cc if memory serves.

gonna try it in 38 special and 308 next.

Boolit Master
    OK so i had a 223 case that was drilled and tapped 1/4-20 in the primer hole for my homemade stuck case puller to it out of my 223 dies. I ripped a piece of plastic to make a handle and bolted the 223 case to the plastic handle and static electricity stuck powder all over it and it didn't look like it would work good. So second try i drilled a 1/8 hole from the extractor groove across the primer hole to the other side in the extractor groove supper glued a 1/8 brazing rod and after 30 trips to the disc sander grinding the length off it will scoop 3.5 grains of green dot every time. Now the work begins I have 2 coffee cans of sixed and aloxed bullets and primed sized and belled 38 sp cases. I have previously weighed charges with my RCBS Charge Master, but it is getting old and i don't want to waste it on handgun loads, as the little itty bitty charges blow its little AI mind.

Boolit Master
    One of the best "dippers" I ever made (and I still have it) was made from a popsicle stick, Gorilla Glue, and a .25 ACP case.
    For in much wisdom is much grief: and he that increaseth knowledge increaseth sorrow. Ecclesiastes 1:18
    He that troubleth his own house shall inherit the wind: and the fool become servant to the wise of heart. Proverbs 11:29
    ...Verily I say unto you, Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of my brethren, ye have done it unto me. Matthew 25:40

Carpe SCOTCH!

If you happen to have a press that is mounted to something and a Lee expanding die, you could make use of a Lee Auto Drum powder measure. Those suckers have interchangeable nylon drums that are adjustable, so it makes adjusting loads real simple. It's also case activated, so everything that's supposed to go in the cartridge stays there.

I'd say it would be a fine upgrade from a Lee dipper but if staying simple is your thing, that's fine too!

If you happen to have a press that is mounted to something and a Lee expanding die, you could make use of a Lee Auto Drum powder measure. Those suckers have interchangeable nylon drums that are adjustable, so it makes adjusting loads real simple. It's also case activated, so everything that's supposed to go in the cartridge stays there.

I'd say it would be a fine upgrade from a Lee dipper but if staying simple is your thing, that's fine too!

Boolit Grand Master
    Lyman's 2nd Edition Cast Bullet Handbook (!) gives a start of 3.0 grains 675 Fps @ 8,800 C.U.P. and a max of 4.2 grains, yielding 890 FPS at 15,600 C.U.P. with a 358-156. With the 358-429, the min-max was 3.0-4.0, 10,500-15,600 C.U.P., 695-865 FPS. They used a 7.71" universal pressure barrel.

Back around 1990, I loaded up the remains of a pound gifted me by a neighbor and used 3.7 grains Green Dot with 357-446 boolits. They worked fine for my intended purpose, practice with my service revolver. I don't think they were as accurate as my WW-231 loads, but the powder and the boolits were free. At least the lead to make the bullets was free. Sigh, I miss my lead wheel weights...
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    IME with my .41 mags green dot is one of those not often heard of powders that’s almost like a well kept secret. I’ve been using it with any 210-220 gr cast, coated, or plated bullet since the mid eighties. My go to load has been 8.2gr but have safely loaded it as low as 4gr for loads that shoot like .38sp wadcutters. It shoots pretty clean and to me seems like recoil wise it’s less snappy than some other powders. I’ve never tried it in .38sp or .357mag but I’d guess it should work well in the range you’re looking at due to its forgiving nature.