Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionRepackboxWidenersSnyders Jerky
Titan Reloading MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Propane Tank Misery

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by shell70634 View Post
    open the tank valve very slowly
    that has worked for me on problem tanks.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Master
    There should be a smaller flathead fit screw on the side of the valve fitting. While having it hooked up and open to halfway, turn that smaller screw counter clockwise. Sometimes that's all it takes.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    how long does the inspection period last on a tank and is there a date found on the bottle?

Also, make sure that the fitting from the appliance to the tank is fully tightened. If all the above doesn’t work, return it.

Boolit Grand Master

I always have to refer back to the instructions , there is one correct way to connect the propane tank , and one way to open the control knobs ... and I always get it wrong / backwards ...
    If you don't get it Exactly Right the gas will barely come out and you hardley get any flame .
    Do a search on " propane tank gas grill connection / hookup " if you have lost the instructions .
    I can never remember the correct song and dance you must do .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Had the same problem with my own spare 20 lb tank. Ran it empty, had it filled, connected it to grill, no gas! Researched the problem on line, ask the tech at LP fill station. No luck. Wound up exchanging it for a Blue Rhino tank at Ace.

Boolit Buddy
    Blue Rhino tanks suck..they have special proprietary valves to prevent anyone else refilling one and they oftentimes malfunction and prevent use. The few I've used were also never filled to the full 20lb capacity, but more like only 3/4 filled.
    Their only use is as an absolute last resort in my book...ymmv

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by yovinny View Post
    Blue Rhino tanks suck..they have special proprietary valves to prevent anyone else refilling one and they oftentimes malfunction and prevent use. The few I've used were also never filled to the full 20lb capacity, but more like only 3/4 filled.
    Their only use is as an absolute last resort in my book...ymmv
    I’ve had Blue Rhino tanks filled dozens of times by the Ace Hardware, the gas station or the mechanic shop in town that fills propane. They do not have proprietary valves.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Master
    also if I'm not mistaken the dot required opd valve only allow the tanks to be 3/4 filled or whatever the cutoff is. when the float in the valve pops up it doesn't allow anymore gas or liquid to enter tank. the 100 pound tanks are a bit different I believe they allow filling till it vents out though the dip tube when the vent is opened during filling.
    I only know what little I know about them from spending so much on propane refills and running water heater and cloths dryer in addition to grills and crab pot burners off propane for the past 28 years or so.

Boolit Buddy
    I had some trouble with one of these newer tanks a while back and finally realized what was screwing it up was I had left one of the burner control valves on MAX. I usually run the grill at MAX for a few minutes after I'm done, then shut it down by first turning off the gas at the tank. Time before, I guess I forgot to switch one of the burner valves off after.

It was honestly a pain in the butt to get it going again once I tripped it. I ended up shutting everything off and then completely disconnecting/reconnecting the tank.

So now, I do this sequence and I haven't ran into any more problems.
    Verify tank valve is off.
    Verify burner control valves are off
    Connect feed hose to tank and tighten hand-tight
    SLOWLY turn on tank valve.
    Turn on burners and light.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    I’ve had Blue Rhino tanks filled dozens of times by the Ace Hardware, the gas station or the mechanic shop in town that fills propane. They do not have proprietary valves.
    Just relaying what the Synergy Propane tech told me, but obviously you know better. I filled countless 20lb & alum fork truck bottles over the course of 30yrs at our old plant,, countless except for 2 blue rhino tanks from the bosses bbq which could not be filled and would not except any gas at all.

Boolit Master
    If you look at the blue rhino tanks they now say either 17lb or 15lb.

About proprietary valves, they have been installing them for years but not all tanks have them. They can be identified by a triangular impression in the side of the valve.
    Last edited by JimB..; 06-25-2022 at 08:51 AM.

Boolit Master
    Aren't safety devices Wonderful? Some safety devices create a bigger hazard. What was so wrong with the old valve that we create this mess?
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

Boolit Master
    Try hooking up to the grille again and open the tank valve VERY slowly. There is a high volume cutoff that serves to shut off the propane flow if it is flowing too fast, as would be the case if the hose ruptured.
    Literacy should not be considered optional in computer based communication.

Boolit Buddy
    Mel, The reason is some know it all government desk jockey safety nazi and legal leaches. They have affected all industries mostly at a determent.
    Shaune509

Boolit Master

Sounds like someone before you cranked down on the valve when they shut if off. Smashed the valve seat. I'd return it to the vendor and let them know. I've had it happen to me before.
    “Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry.”
    ― Mark Twain
    W8SOB

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by shaune509 View Post
    Mel, The reason is some know it all government desk jockey safety nazi and legal leaches. They have affected all industries mostly at a determent.
    Shaune509
    True that... Just look at what they did to gas can nozzles...

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    There was a time when this would be a simple problem to trouble shot. Unfortunately, we have so many safety devices it can be a real pain to figure out.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12