Load DataRepackboxReloading EverythingRotoMetals2
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: F-150 gas mileage

Boolit Master
    Be aware that almost every company has their "throwaway" model! I was a service tech at a Toyota dealership in the early 90s, and I can tell you, the final series of the tercel was crap on wheels! During cold weather, every tech in the shop had at least 3 of them in the back lot waiting for the heads to come back from the machine shop. I did so many that I could have the head off and stripped (including pulling the valves) and ready to go to the machine shop in less than an hour! As troublesome as that engine was, they used it in at least two other models afterwards. Oh yeah, the lowest mileage I heard of for the tercelitis (yes, we had a nickname for it!) was around 25,000 miles. I have tried to warn several people away from those models, but people will do what they will do.
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    I will add.....don't dis the domestic dependability.....I could drone on for a half hour or more with my experiences with iron from the big three going 3 and 4 hundred k! Certain models were and are well known for doing that!
    Chicken Little has finally found an audience

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by farmbif View Post
    this whole thread has me wondering after putting $25 of gas in my truck two days ago to go about 60 miles.
    when I got the 2002 f150 4x4 with 5.4 triton with 220000 miles back in November I knew it had problems. did a bunch of research online as to most likely causes of problems, bought the best quality parts at the fairest price I could, I took it to a very honest and knowledgeable shop. they put it on computer and diagnosis was the coils, the parts I bought were perfect fix. they put in top of the line platinum spark plugs also and the engine ran perfect. an oil and filter change and had them check everything they could and truck got clean bill of health. but still only gets 13mpg. now with everyone chiming in on the milage they are getting with their f150's im thinking maybe mine has some other problem causing low mpg's. any suggestions?
    The difference is that YOU are being honest.

Boolit Master

My 2000 Chevy Silverado, which I have posted about on here before, remains perfectly operational and is right at 350k miles. It continues to get 15.5 mpg all around, 17 mpg on the highway, and 12 mpg if towing my small boat around for most of the tank. My kid, who was almost born it it (barely made it to the hospital) absolutely loves the truck and keeps spiffing it up in minor ways and maintaining it. He has his own car, but he likes driving the truck a lot. I've had it since new, worked it plenty hard, and its been a great truck.

The 2018 Nissan Titan I replaced it with has been largely trouble-free, with a couple of minor fixes needed for initial assembly issues and a tailgate unlock feature that doesn't work too well any more. But 85k miles already, 19 mpg on the highway, 16 mpg all around, and 8 mpg towing the pontoon.
    "Is all this REALLY necessary?"

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234