Titan ReloadingRepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationReloading EverythingLoad DataRotoMetals2
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F-150 gas mileage

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wolfwing View Post
    I don't know how to break it to ya, but I get 7.4 mpg in my 99 Western Star pulling 80K. And the ride is a whole lot more comfortable! Although the last 3 years I have been at 110K and at 5.25 mpg.
    I had a T2000 that got the same mileage. Then came DEF, new EPA stuff and my mileage has dropped into the 6's. I also had few empty miles pulling 40,000lbs of paper both ways on a dedicated trip. As an aside, that run was 1,125 each way. Paper mill paid me to run paper to a different mill to make up shipping shortage and do the same on the way back. It was cheaper to do this than pay the union to start up a production run. Both mills are now gone as the union refused to see the writing on the wall and make concessions. Kept their pay by holding tough but only for another year or two then the mill was torn to the ground and their pay ended up $0 but they showed the company who was boss. Hope it was worth it.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master

Mine is a 2000 F-150 4x4 with the Triton 5.4. It got around 17mpg on the highway until it developed a manifold vacuum leak. Turned out that it also had a defective mass airflow sensor. Mileage dropped to 13-14. Once the issues were resolved its former mileage was back.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Quote Originally Posted by jonp View Post
    I had a T2000 that got the same mileage. Then came DEF, new EPA stuff and my mileage has dropped into the 6's. I also had few empty miles pulling 40,000lbs of paper both ways on a dedicated trip. As an aside, that run was 1,125 each way. Paper mill paid me to run paper to a different mill to make up shipping shortage and do the same on the way back. It was cheaper to do this than pay the union to start up a production run. Both mills are now gone as the union refused to see the writing on the wall and make concessions. Kept their pay by holding tough but only for another year or two then the mill was torn to the ground and their pay ended up $0 but they showed the company who was boss. Hope it was worth it.
    This is the union way: Protect the lazy worker and destroy the employer. They have it down to a science.

Boolit Master
    Just got back from Winnemucca.
    I concentrated on getting the best mileage on the return trip. Kept it at 65 MPH or under (it's got a 4.30:1 gear set in it), and let it choose it's own comfortable speed going up the inclines (50 MPH at 3K RPM or under) - in other words, not pushing it.
    We got 9.9 MPG on the return trip, as opposed to the 7.9 we got on the way there.
    I know there were probably other factors, but it does show that I can get better mileage if I try.

oh, and it's the V10 motor
    Last edited by obssd1958; 06-06-2022 at 05:35 PM.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.
    - Henry S. Haskins in “Meditations in Wall Street”

"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rapidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end." ...Unknown

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    My present car, a 2017 Toyota Avalon, doesn't have a digital gas mileage readout. Just an estimate of "Miles to Empty". I don't trust it below about 50 miles. In 5½ years we've only put about 41K miles on this car. Not even broken in.

Calculating MPG, to my way of thinking, can only be done by using the trip odometer and the gallons to fill since last fill. Last weekends trip calculated out at just under 30 MPG. When most of the driving is in town, I calculate approx 25-26. As a previous poster mentioned, I drive like Grandpop (grandchildren's name for me).
    Our 2016 Avalon gets close to 30 in summer and about 28 in winter based on it's read outs. Our Camrys got into the low 30's. I reckon folks will just keep paying the high price and won't get testy until gas in rationed or unavailable.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    Our 2016 Avalon gets close to 30 in summer and about 28 in winter based on it's read outs. Our Camrys got into the low 30's. I reckon folks will just keep paying the high price and won't get testy until gas in rationed or unavailable.
    Some of us worn out old guys simply cannot get into those small cars, and even if we did, we'd need help getting out. I fit just fine into a Chevy Silverado, and it will get me where I need to go in just about any weather.

Boolit Master
    Close to da Creaux,Hang'n out in Swamp's and Bayou's
    Actuality vs Reality
    2011 F-150 4x4 5.0
    The onboard computer says its getting xx miles per gallon.
    The reality is that it has never been correct about miles per gallon ....never ever.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Gator 45/70 View Post
    Actuality vs Reality
    2011 F-150 4x4 5.0
    The onboard computer says its getting xx miles per gallon.
    The reality is that it has never been correct about miles per gallon ....never ever.
    2012 Silverado. Onboard computer consistently indicates 2 to 3 miles per gallon BETTER than when using paper and pencil.

Boolit Master

What kills me are people that are incapable of doing simple math.

I work with millenials, so I am used to hearing stupid things every day.

I was talking with a young gal and her and her husband had bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma pickup a year ago. She was complaining that it only gets 20 mpg and that they wanted to trade it in on a new Tundra Hybrid full-size pickup.

I asked what the mpg rating was on the new truck. 22 mpg. I asked her how many miles they had on their year old Tacoma. 10k.

The Tundra is $20k more than the Tacoma after trade-in.

They drive 10,000 miles a year, so at 2 mpg increase at $5 a gallon gas, they are saving $225 a year in gas by spending $20k. It will take them 89 years to realize a break even point.

I see it all the time; people talking about spending thousands of dollars to save a couple of hundred in gas costs.

I bought a brand new dual-sport motorcycle last week. I rode it to work twice this week. It gets 50 mpg. My daily driver gets 29 mpg. My commute is 30 miles round trip and gas is $5.05 a gallon.

So, every day I ride my motorcycle to work, I save $2.19. If the weather is perfect and I can commute 5 days a week on the bike, then I will save $11 a week, or $44 a month. The insurance on the bike, alone, is $38. Not to mention oil changes, tire wear, etc.

But, if I figure riding the motorcycle compared to my SUV, which gets 15 mpg, then I save about $140 a month, which is not bad.

It's pretty rare that trading up for a vehicle every makes economic sense in regards to fuel costs.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master

I had a friend(deceased) who back in the 70's after the oil embargo by the Arabs, would drive 20 miles round trip to save .05/gal on gas. I couldn't convince him that he would be much better off to just pay the price.

During that same period, we had a large gas guzzler that got maybe 12-13 mpg. I did the math and decided that any vehicle I traded for would be completely worn out before I could break even. Now cars last a lot longer. We've kept the last three vehicles at least 10 years. I couldn't care less how much they depreciate when I drive them off the dealer's lot.
    John
    W.TN

I have 09 Dodge Ram quad cab 5.7 Hemi. Bought it used and took two trips to Tennessee from Florida and and averaged 18 to 20 mph on the trips. Around town 14 to 15 if I drive my age. If my wife drives it it’s gets 11 to 13 mph. We also have a 03 Grand Marquis with the small 5.0 engine and used it on our last trip and averaged 24 to 26 mph. Also those mileages are driving 70 to 80 on the interstate. It’s amazing that driving 75 and 80 and most times you have to watch out for the 90 to 100 mph driver’s.
    Wolf wing is your avatar a Papillon? Our first little one looked just like yours. Sadly after 18 years we lost her.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    What kills me are people that are incapable of doing simple math.

I work with millenials, so I am used to hearing stupid things every day.

I was talking with a young gal and her and her husband had bought a brand new Toyota Tacoma pickup a year ago. She was complaining that it only gets 20 mpg and that they wanted to trade it in on a new Tundra Hybrid full-size pickup.

I asked what the mpg rating was on the new truck. 22 mpg. I asked her how many miles they had on their year old Tacoma. 10k.

The Tundra is $20k more than the Tacoma after trade-in.

They drive 10,000 miles a year, so at 2 mpg increase at $5 a gallon gas, they are saving $225 a year in gas by spending $20k. It will take them 89 years to realize a break even point.

I see it all the time; people talking about spending thousands of dollars to save a couple of hundred in gas costs.

I bought a brand new dual-sport motorcycle last week. I rode it to work twice this week. It gets 50 mpg. My daily driver gets 29 mpg. My commute is 30 miles round trip and gas is $5.05 a gallon.

So, every day I ride my motorcycle to work, I save $2.19. If the weather is perfect and I can commute 5 days a week on the bike, then I will save $11 a week, or $44 a month. The insurance on the bike, alone, is $38. Not to mention oil changes, tire wear, etc.

But, if I figure riding the motorcycle compared to my SUV, which gets 15 mpg, then I save about $140 a month, which is not bad.

It's pretty rare that trading up for a vehicle every makes economic sense in regards to fuel costs.
    You are preaching to the choir on this one. Just pulled the tranny on my 1997 CRV to replace the torque converter at $140. New CRV would solve replacing anything but cost $35,000. Gets better mileage but how long would it take me to get that money back at $10 gas? We are late 50's and would never see the break even plus you cant pull the tranny on a new vehicle in the driveway like i just did.
    I Am Descended From Men Who Would Not Be Ruled

Fiat Justitia, Ruat Caelum

Boolit Master
    Using E85 in our 2011 F150 V8 5.0 getting 17 mpg. Have 75000 miles on it.Best we ever had was 21 on highway trip. Fill up today cost 4.16 gallon.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Froogal View Post
    Some of us worn out old guys simply cannot get into those small cars, and even if we did, we'd need help getting out. I fit just fine into a Chevy Silverado, and it will get me where I need to go in just about any weather.
    The Avalon is full size four door six banger. Plenty of room.
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmic_Charlie View Post
    The Avalon is full size four door six banger. Plenty of room.
    We are driving our 3rd Avalon right now. The first two, we kept for over 10 years and this one is in its' 5th year. Yet to be seen if we will ever need another one. REPAIR? What's that?
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master
    We are on our 3rd Highlander. Took it to CA to see stepmom. 27-36 mpg depending on hills and wind. Daughter has our first one and its 12 years old and about 200K. Spark plugs have been the costliest maintenance.
    I fit in the Highlander OK, but preferred our earlier one as they shrunk the newer ones. I am 6'3" and 320lbs and wear a 53" coat so shoulder room is a big deal for me. I really wanted a 4 runner, but my shoulder was jammed up against the door post and I figured if we were in even a smallish side impact crash, my shoulder would be crushed, so no go on one. Kind of have to pick a vehicle that I can fit in and it seems the new ones are shrinking/lighter, to get better gas mileage.
    Our first one called for 5w-30 oil, the second was 5w-20 and the third one is 0w-20. Pretty well the same engine I think, but I guess they are trying for better CAFE mileage possibly at the expense of engine protection. When you try and pass a car the tranny downshifts and engine goes to 5500rpm. Doesn't seem like 0w20 would have the film strength to protect the engine. I might be wrong however!!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Rockrat78 View Post
    Our first one called for 5w-30 oil, the second was 5w-20 and the third one is 0w-20. Pretty well the same engine I think, but I guess they are trying for better CAFE mileage possibly at the expense of engine protection. When you try and pass a car the tranny downshifts and engine goes to 5500rpm. Doesn't seem like 0w20 would have the film strength to protect the engine. I might be wrong however!!
    I suspect you are right. I have a 2019 4Runner, and at 6'2, 300 lbs, and wear a 55" jacket, I have plenty of room. My vehicle calls for 0W20W oil. I do my own oil changes and put in 5W20W Mobil 1 full synthetic and use K&N oil filters. Who knows if it makes a difference. At only 36k miles, my Toyota is not even broken in.

I don't understand those that continue to waste their hard-earned money on unreliable junk that falls apart before 100k miles.

It's like my dad, who drove nothing buy Chevy, thought his 2007 HHR was a great and reliable vehicle when it "only" needed a new fuel pump, water pump, and front suspension before 100k miles.

His third wife insisted on a Toyota Rav4 for her vehicle, and he kept it in the divorce to spite her. He loves it, and gave the HHR to me, since he now knows what a good vehicle is.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Every car now specs some water thin oil to get the fuel milage advertised and to mimimize emissions........I just use 15/40 from the compressors...retired now,but made sure I got enough oil and filters to last till Im 90.....took 1000gal of free fuel too ,from the refinery....I was bit wasteful with that,and its all gone.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by alamogunr View Post
    We are driving our 3rd Avalon right now. The first two, we kept for over 10 years and this one is in its' 5th year. Yet to be seen if we will ever need another one. REPAIR? What's that?
    Our 2012 Silverado has over 80,000 miles and has never needed anything other that routine maintenance and one set of new tires.

Boolit Master
    this whole thread has me wondering after putting $25 of gas in my truck two days ago to go about 60 miles.
    when I got the 2002 f150 4x4 with 5.4 triton with 220000 miles back in November I knew it had problems. did a bunch of research online as to most likely causes of problems, bought the best quality parts at the fairest price I could, I took it to a very honest and knowledgeable shop. they put it on computer and diagnosis was the coils, the parts I bought were perfect fix. they put in top of the line platinum spark plugs also and the engine ran perfect. an oil and filter change and had them check everything they could and truck got clean bill of health. but still only gets 13mpg. now with everyone chiming in on the milage they are getting with their f150's im thinking maybe mine has some other problem causing low mpg's. any suggestions?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast