Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2
Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Load Data

Thread: .22 revolver misfires in double action

Boolit Master

.22 revolver misfires in double action

I have this old H&R 922 double action 9-shot .22 lr revolver. It's nothing special, had it a while, didn't pay much for it.

It shoots fine in single action, but misfires maybe 10-20% of the time in double-action. I've had it apart, checked the firing pin, hammer, and spring. I thought about finding a stronger spring, but the double action pull is quite stiff already. It has about .005" endshake, wondered if that has anything to do with it.

Every once in a while I take it out and shoot it, and wonder if I could fix it. I have plenty of other better guns to shoot; I could just sell it cheap and forget it, but it's a bit of a challenge. Any thoughts?

Boolit Grand Master
    As the cylinder turns during double action, does the cylinder stop coming up from the bottom effectively catch the cylinder movement and stop it in place? If it allows movement past the correct position during double action and induces a misfire while in single action it works all the time, I'd look there for a problem. Just spitballin' here for an answer.

Boolit Master

Timing is fine. The difference between single and double action is that the hammer locks back slightly further in single action (normal) and therefore falls a little harder. Maybe I do just need a stiffer spring. Anyone know if it's normal for these little guns to have impossibly heavy trigger pull in double action?

Boolit Grand Master

What is impossibly heavy?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Try a different brand of ammoes.
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Master
    I have a 922 also, it does the same thing. Never tried to address it as it needs timing work. I get hit with lead shooting it, the bolt is loose & sloppy. It doesn't exactly strike the primers very well either, rather weak. Im sure it needs a new mainspring.
    ~ Chris

Casting, reloading, shooting, collecting, restoring, smithing, etc, I love it all but most importantly, God, Family, The United States Constitution and Freedom...

God Bless our Troops, Veterans and First Responders!

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas
    Accuracy, Power & Speed

Boolit Master
    I will have to check out my 922 when I get back in town to see if I can help you out.
    Mine was my father's that he got in 1952 , and was the first handgun I ever shot.
    But I did have similar issues like you are having with my H&R .32 S&W in the older model from before the 1920's.
    But my dad's pistol is in really good shape and has less than 500 rounds fired thru it.
    Last edited by LAGS; 06-01-2022 at 10:17 PM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by imashooter2 View Post
    What is impossibly heavy?
    Well maybe not impossible, something along the lines of an 1895 Nagant revolver.

I’ll try a new/heavier spring when I get a chance. If it’s going to be used mostly in single action anyhow, I’d rather it be reliable even if it does have a heavy trigger pull.

If you have disassembled and reassembled your H&R revolver, hats off to you, sir! They are deserving of the B-word in my experience! Even 3 hands might not be enough sometimes. They look simple. They aren't.
    My wishes for good luck are with you.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

A real old way to check if your hammer weight is off in double action is scotch tape a nickel 5 cent piece to the top of the hammer and double action away. That could point to hammer spring weakness if it fires consistent.
    “You should tell someone what you know. There should be a history, so that men can learn from it.

He smiled. “Men do not learn from history. Each generation believes itself brighter than the last, each believes it can survive the mistakes of the older ones. Each discovers each old thing and they throw up their hands and say ‘See! Look what I have found! Look upon what I know!’ And each believes it is something new.

Louis L’Amour

The Californios

Boolit Buddy
    I'd take a look at the firing pin strikes on the case rims in SA and DA mode, and see what difference there is. Obviously "some difference" if it won't fire reliably in DA mode. Lets see those firing pin indentations.
    Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory ... lasts forever.
    Retired USN
    NRA Life

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by fatelk View Post
    I have this old H&R 922 double action 9-shot .22 lr revolver. It's nothing special, had it a while, didn't pay much for it.

It shoots fine in single action, but misfires maybe 10-20% of the time in double-action. I've had it apart, checked the firing pin, hammer, and spring. I thought about finding a stronger spring, but the double action pull is quite stiff already. It has about .005" endshake, wondered if that has anything to do with it.

Every once in a while I take it out and shoot it, and wonder if I could fix it. I have plenty of other better guns to shoot; I could just sell it cheap and forget it, but it's a bit of a challenge. Any thoughts?
    I have a couple of old H&R .22 revolvers -- a model 939 and a model 949. One (I do not remember which) -- years back had a similar problem as yours, and a friend -- who unbeknownst to him at the time () shared Texas by God's comment re reassembly -- put in a new mainspring which solved all challenges. It came from Numrich Arms in West Hurley, New York -- I believe they're now "Gun Parts Corp.". Anyhoos -- a new mainspring was the fix for mine.
    geo

Boolit Master

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1126760A newer model

https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1875940A

MAINSPRING & GUIDE ASSEMBLY, NEW FACTORY ORIGINAL (AL57489 SERIES & ON)

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    When in doubt wash it out .
    I know you have had it apart , but Mom had a 1917 Colts I had apart and tinkered at that just seemed to grow dirt in everything that moved . I gave up an put it in a cake pan with a gallon of GI CLP with the grips off and let it soak and hour . I cycled it submerged 20-30 times and flipped it over to repeat . I left it overnight and repeated the cycle flip cycle flip deal and let it drip dry . There was probably a table spoon of gunk in the cake pan also with a little bit of poking it turns there was an actual gap between the barrel extension and frame with the gob of impacted gasified lead etc removed .
    Probably hard to believe but it also stopped manufacturing dirt .

Never underestimate the healing power of a long bath . I'm still looking for the ultrasonic kit or assembly 44×4×12" to put a whole barrled action in for an extended jettub bath sans stocks .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .