RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataTitan Reloading
Wideners Inline Fabrication

Thread: New Info on building the Chioppe Rifle/Parts Kit

Boolit Bub

New Info on building the Chioppe Rifle/Parts Kit

I found a company called Vanguard Arms that makes and sales a Kit to make the Chicopee Rifle that looks very nice and simpler to build.
    As a separate part from the kit they offer a trunnion for the barre that I think that it would make it easier to thread.
    If you have had experience with Vanguard Arms please let me know what you think of them and their products and service.
    Thanks,
    Terryt

never dealt with or heard of Vanguard Arms, but have looked at some water jet cut kits for sale at larger gun shows. If you don't have a lathe and mill and experience fabricating with them, these kits are not for the average gun tinkerer. They take far more precise work than the people selling the kits would tell you.
    I know a couple guys who've had the kits for years, and have the tools to build them, but they're still sitting in drawers unfinished.

Boolit Master
    Some years ago I built a basic copy of a Starr carbine,already had a surplus lock from Dixie,and the thing took me so much time ,I could have worked for minimum wage and used the money to buy a genuine Starr .

I've been emailing back and forth with the guy, Charles Calleja, about maybe can cut me some Stevens 44 links out of 4140 prehard.

He's a small but (he claims) growing operation, located (for now) in California.

Replied to my first inquiry same day. Seems quite conversant with manufacturing processes. He told me he's farming out laser cutting, and knowing the cost of waterjet machines I'd assume he's also saubcontracting that. I would. Those things take a lot of managing over and above the initial cost.

As of yesterday afternoon he said yes to making the links, and I sent him a CAD file to quote from. It's only 7 AM out there, but I expect some feedback later today.
    Cognitive Dissident