Inline FabricationTitan ReloadingLee PrecisionWideners
Load DataReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
RotoMetals2

Thread: BR-5 in rifle calibers?

Boolit Man

BR-5 in rifle calibers?

Would BR-5 work good in rifle cases? I know it’s a ball powder and ball powders don’t like to be reduced, but I just have to ask. Calibers in mind are 6.5 carcano and 303 British so medium sized cartridges. Would a filler be required?

I just wanna be safe, I’ve used H4895, IMR4895 and IMR 4227 and had good results in my military calibers. 8x57 really liked IMR 4227. LGS had unique for $50 a pound and I don’t really wanna pay that.

Would IMR-7383 also be worth picking up at $10 a pound?

Boolit Master
    BR-5 is a relatively fast pistol powder, so reduced loads are supposedly OK. I have tried it in 30-06, 303 British and 30-30. A magnum primer helps get good ignition, but I have also tried standard primers without any issues. The supplier says that Unique loading data can be used for BR-5, and I have found that to be about right. However, as noted, a magnum primer might be best.

In 30-06 I used BR-5 in the 10-13 grain range with bullets running from 150 - 200 grains and found some accurate loads in the 1000-1500 fps range.

In 303 British I use 12.5 grains behind a 177 grain powder-coated bullet at 1500 fps.

In the 30-30 I use 8 grains with a 170 grain lubed bullet at 1100 fps.
    Hick: Iron sights!

Boolit Master

I have had good results with in the ranges reported by Hick above. I get more accuracy than Unique because it the BR-5 meters better

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Hick View Post
    BR-5 is a relatively fast pistol powder, so reduced loads are supposedly OK. I have tried it in 30-06, 303 British and 30-30. A magnum primer helps get good ignition, but I have also tried standard primers without any issues. The supplier says that Unique loading data can be used for BR-5, and I have found that to be about right. However, as noted, a magnum primer might be best.

In 30-06 I used BR-5 in the 10-13 grain range with bullets running from 150 - 200 grains and found some accurate loads in the 1000-1500 fps range.

In 303 British I use 12.5 grains behind a 177 grain powder-coated bullet at 1500 fps.

In the 30-30 I use 8 grains with a 170 grain lubed bullet at 1100 fps.
    Thanks for the advice, I’ll have to give it a try. Just don’t wanna hurt my self. Only been loading on my own about 7 months. 30-30 is in the same category as 6.5 Carcano, thanks for the help!

Contrary to what Jeff Bartlett says on his page, BR 5 isn’t near Unique, but he errs on the side of safety. In other words, a given weight of BR 5 is slower than the same weight Unique charge but they are not comparable. BR 5 is roughly 30% more dense than Unique. 1.02 cc’s of Unique weighs 7.9 grains, 1.02 cc of BR 5 tips the scale at 12.1 grains. Closest powder to BR 5 is VV 3N38, almost charge for charge in a 45 Colt

If you use a charge of Unique and duplicate that charge with BR 5, your case volume will be very low. It could get lost in a rifle case. I wouldn’t try it.

Boolit Man
    understood, I've heard great things about BR-5 and would like to know more about it. What do you mean it could get lost in a rifle case? like be to spread out to ignite properly? what happens if a filler were to be used?

I’ve had good luck with BR 5 in 45 Colt. Also loaded it in 45 ACP and 9mm both of which did well but haven’t done extensive work with either. I did a 45 Colt work-up and had good results in my Black Hawk and Win 92. Rifle powders fill most to all of the case, while pistol powders in rifle cases occupy a small part of a relatively large case. Powder position is not consistent and accuracy will suffer. Having said that, Unique is a “mature”’powder with a century of development in shotguns, pistols and rifles and there is data to found, especially in the Lyman manuals. Powders behave differently in different cases and the bugs are worked out of it with Unique. I wouldn’t try loading a rifle case with BR 5. Some people use fillers and do fine, others don’t t always have such luck and end up ringing chambers.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Castaway View Post
    I’ve had good luck with BR 5 in 45 Colt. Also loaded it in 45 ACP and 9mm both of which did well but haven’t done extensive work with either. I did a 45 Colt work-up and had good results in my Black Hawk and Win 92. Rifle powders fill most to all of the case, while pistol powders in rifle cases occupy a small part of a relatively large case. Powder position is not consistent and accuracy will suffer. Having said that, Unique is a “mature”’powder with a century of development in shotguns, pistols and rifles and there is data to found, especially in the Lyman manuals. Powders behave differently in different cases and the bugs are worked out of it with Unique. I wouldn’t try loading a rifle case with BR 5. Some people use fillers and do fine, others don’t t always have such luck and end up ringing chambers.
    Odd-- the Lyman Cast bullet handbook is chock full of loads for small amounts of fast powders in rifle cases. Guess nobody told them its a problem.
    Hick: Iron sights!

I stand corrected. The point I intended to make was that there’s no reliable data for BR 5 in a rifle and I used Unique as an example. I know Red Dot, Bulls Eye and others are used but they’ve been time tested.

Boolit Man
    I’ve read through my Lyman cast bullet manual quite a bit and there are some very light rifle charges with fast pistol powders. My 47th edition even has some loads that recommend a filler be used for 45-70.

Maybe I could start off using BR-5 in a smaller case like 7.62x39 and work my way up to the larger cases once I have a better understanding of the powder. Obviously like you said I don’t want to ring a chamber or anything so I’ll tread lightly if I decide to attempt this experiment.

Boolit Master

To breathe some life into an old thread.

Today, playing around in the shop, I discovered that a RCBS #12 rotor throws 8.0 grs. BR-5 in the Little Dandy Powder Measure. Tomorrow I will load up some 150 gr. Accurate 150Ts up in 30-30 with this. In another day or two, I will throw them down range in the Encore and report back to you.

Boolit Master

BR-5 in 30-30 rifles

After a few days of bad weather, I finally got to the range with some BR-5 loads. I got a shot at an indoor range with a 50 yard limit.

Rifle was an Encore with 26" 1"10 Barrel by Eabco. Nikon Scopechief on 6X setting.

Bullet was 150 cast flat point. Accurate mold 150T, plain base, powder coated. Alloy was 50/50 PB/wheel weights sized .310.

Powder charge was 8.2 gr. BR-5 from GIBRASS.

Mixes brass, trimmed and full length resized

Primer was Winchester Large PISTOL primer. SWAG velocity of 1,200.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br5 3.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	15.0 KB 
ID:	306930Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br5 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	15.8 KB 
ID:	306931Click image for larger version. 

Name:	br5 1.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	14.9 KB 
ID:	306932
    Last edited by jaysouth; 11-15-2022 at 11:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    #2, what's not to like, good shoot'n.

coffee's ready, Hootmix.

Boolit Master

Normally to get results like that, I spend weeks fiddling with ladder testing powder, testing various alloy and burning lot of primers. First rabbit hole I jumped into, there was a fat juicy rabbit. It's good enough for me. Let well enough alone. I'll run some of these loads through Handi rifles and my Marlin.

Who is the manufacturer of BR-5?
    I have used it in .44 Magnum and 9MM Luger with good results. It does meter very well.

Boolit Master

I got an email from Jeff at BIBRASS. He said that BR-5 was made by Norma for 9mm NATO ammo. Where does Norma make powder? He didn't say.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaysouth View Post

Primer was Winchester Large PISTOL primer. SWAG velocity of 1,200.
    Seems nobody picked up on "PISTOL" I find this helpful. Tell us if the pistol primer works in the lever gun too.

Tim
    Words are weapons sharper than knives - INXS

The pen is mightier than the sword - Edward Bulwer-Lytton

The tongue is mightier than the blade - Euripides