Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyRepackbox
Wideners Load Data

Thread: Dan Wesson 357 Magnum Barrel Identification Factory or Custom?

Boolit Bub

Dan Wesson 357 Magnum Barrel Identification Factory or Custom?

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220530_205216780~2.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	47.6 KB 
ID:	300798Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220530_205125944~3.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	37.7 KB 
ID:	300799

I have this Dan Wesson Ported 357 Magnum barrel and was always curious if it's factory or modified. Any thoughts? Does anyone know what it might be worth either way? Thank you!

Boolit Master

the markings look like its a factory barrel but I think the porting was after market, it looks like it is a fake porting job as the barrel does not have any ports unless they are hidden in the photo. looks like a later barrel.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I've not seen a ported one and don't know how you'd get the ports in the barrel and shroud to line up.

Their first .44 magnum had a 360° ported barrel that matched up with channels in the shroud. At that time in the 80s, I don't recall DW offering a ported .357 model.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Bub
    I tried to line the barrel liner up with how it sits in the shroud. The liner itself isn't ported, it's shorter than the shroud so the crown is before the ports from the bullet's perspective. In other words, it would need a long barrel wrench to reach past the ported section of the shroud to get to the barrel nut. The knurled part at the muzzle seems like it's only there to act as a "baffle" to retain / lose more pressure in / through the ported area.

Boolit Buddy
    There was a ported barrel/shroud that looked like the non ported barrels except for 2 vents in the shroud on either side of the sight/rib and 8 ports around the barrel.
    What you have is a comp barrel shroud, that uses a standard non ported barrel and a longer (usually the next size up from the barrel example a 4" barrel would have a 6" shroud with the cuts on top) with slots on the top and an extra nut to close the end of the shroud to force gas up thru the slots. The barrel is secured with a standard barrel nut as well in the normal fashion but you need a different "comp" wrench to remove it. The comp barrel/shrouds were factory offered and do command a premium depending on caliber and length. I will try to post pics of both types later tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by 475AR View Post
    There was a ported barrel/shroud that looked like the non ported barrels except for 2 vents in the shroud on either side of the sight/rib and 8 ports around the barrel.
    What you have is a comp barrel shroud, that uses a standard non ported barrel and a longer (usually the next size up from the barrel example a 4" barrel would have a 6" shroud with the cuts on top) with slots on the top and an extra nut to close the end of the shroud to force gas up thru the slots. The barrel is secured with a standard barrel nut as well in the normal fashion but you need a different "comp" wrench to remove it. The comp barrel/shrouds were factory offered and do command a premium depending on caliber and length. I will try to post pics of both types later tonight.
    Thanks for the explanation 475AR.

Boolit Buddy
    SoonerEd: if you want more information on your DW, you might post a pic on "Dan Wesson Forum". The logo and markings are after the Monson period.

Boolit Man

That is OEM compensated shroud. "HV4C" Heavy Lug, Vented, 4", Compensated Its from the Norwich NY plant
    Last edited by rwsem; 06-02-2022 at 05:26 PM. Reason: added info
    CSM(R) 1983-2013

Boolit Grand Master

2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer

Boolit Bub
    Thank you for all the helpful responses everyone!