Load DataWidenersSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Case Trimmers ? new...

Boolit Master

Case Trimmers ? new...

I am thinking of getting a new case trimmer. Something better suited for high volume. I have both a Forster and Lyman. I am looking at the RCBS mostly because their stuff works. But am wondering how many shell holder thingys I have to buy. Trimming mostly 30-06 family and 30-40 and 30-30, 303 Savage, maybe 222 Rem. I guessing 5 or 6 shell holders. Any opinions on this appreciated. How about 50 cal stuff? Is the cutter big enough? thanks in advance

The new RCBS pro trimmer has spring loaded shell holder. So no need for the old shell holder. Can also purchase a kit so electric drill can run it. The 50 cal stuff questions I can't help on .

Boolit Master
    With RCBS they make a three way cutter head which trims length and inside bevels and outside chasers all in one pass. It does not use shell holders but rather a collet to hold the case.

You may however pick up speed with a replacement cutter for your Lyman. I bought the carbide cutter for mine about 38 years ago and it’s still going STRONG.

For real speed there are non-traditional trimmers to chose from. I have no experience with those however.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Are you talking about the pilots that go into the case mouth? You need the right size for the case mouth and I can say from experience that Lyman and RCBS take different sizes.

Boolit Master
    If you already have a Forster and lyman. You might want to look into a DaCam Power Pod. I have set up 2 Forster and 1 Lyman with His conversion.
    NRA Endowment Member
    International Ammunition Association
    New York, the Empire State Where Empires were Won and Lost

I made mods for my Forster Trimmer by using their 3-way cutter (trims, chamfers, deburrs) and a clutched screw gun from Home Depot, some PVC pipe, and h.m. foot pedals to raise and lower. Works way better than stock.

Boolit Master

Thanks all. I have my Forster modified to a cordless electric drill. Much faster! The Lyman Acculine I use for odd ball stuff. It uses the same shell holder as the reloading press, which is very sweet when you shoot 577/450 MH, 43 Spanish, 11mm M, and a dozen others that wont fit the Forster. I am really looking for speed. I have about 3,000 30-06 to go through and maybe another 1,000 or 2 other stuff. I can make pilots to suit as needed.

Boolit Master
    I assumed you had the Lyman Universal when I mentioned a carbide cutter.

(I just checked and I found your trimmer uses the same cutter as the Universal)

Three44s

Giraud Trimmer only way to go easy as an electric pencil sharpener an just as fast 150 cases in ten minutes trims and chamfers. Its a little pricey but worth every penny and then some. Only does bottleneck cases but damn its fast and accurate

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by Gunners Mate View Post
    Giraud Trimmer only way to go easy as an electric pencil sharpener an just as fast 150 cases in ten minutes trims and chamfers. Its a little pricey but worth every penny and then some. Only does bottleneck cases but damn its fast and accurate
    Ditto! Well worth the money!!!!!

Boolit Mold
    Giraud trimmer all the way. I’d give up my Dillon550 before I’d give up the Giraud trimmer. It saves that much time!

Boolit Master

re: Giraud

HOLY BANANNAS !! Anybody might want to set up a "trimming bussiness" on the side. WOW I see a couple straight wall cases. So it "headspaces" on the shoulder - means a different holder for every caliber. That so, it would work like an electric pencil sharpener. I could see a few 1,000's '06 getting done in one sitting, as long as the fingers held up. Very interesting.

Boolit Buddy
    Frankford Arsenal makes one that I use, it's pretty good in my opinion:

https://www.frankfordarsenal.com/cas...er/903156.html

I paid $150 last year, the price appears to have increased.

Boolit Buddy
    i have used just about ever case trimmer out their. i hate trimming cases.i found the dillon to be good until i found the giraud ,this is the best trimmer i have found.i can go through 1000 223 in no time,
    i cost a little more money but has they say buy once cry once.

Boolit Master
    For 223 I have a pretty good supply.

I sort for length and by head stamp. The longest go to wait for 7mm TCU. The middle range gets saved for .223 and the real short cases get set aside for conversion to .222.

So now the .223 destination brass gets a preliminary trim on a Lyman Universal with a carbide cutter after a decap.

Champher and debur and it’s off to full length resize. Pocket swagging on a RCBS swagger.

Next comes the Wilson case trimmer tool. I have two set up side by side, one for taking a slight cut on the pocket crimp (gives a nice bevel) and then a final case length cut. This trim gives me a square mouth and the best close tolerance on length.

Champher and bevel the mouth as needed again.

Last trip is to inside debur the flash hole.

Three44s

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by ascast View Post
    I am thinking of getting a new case trimmer. Something better suited for high volume. I have both a Forster and Lyman. I am looking at the RCBS mostly because their stuff works. But am wondering how many shell holder thingys I have to buy. Trimming mostly 30-06 family and 30-40 and 30-30, 303 Savage, maybe 222 Rem. I guessing 5 or 6 shell holders. Any opinions on this appreciated. How about 50 cal stuff? Is the cutter big enough? thanks in advance
    As another said.. the new rcbs uses a spring loaded jaw.. it works fin in the 30-40 cal range. I have have problems on small stuff.. for instance.. it won't hold 5.7-28 etc. i have done 5.56 on it however.

Boolit Master
    Since You have Both a Forster and lyman. I also have the same Trimmers. You should check into DaCam Power pods. both of my trimmers have this set up. Fast quick and accurate . same collets and same piolets. Same change over and fast Trimming
    NRA Endowment Member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by salpal48 View Post
    Since You have Both a Forster and lyman. I also have the same Trimmers. You should check into DaCam Power pods. both of my trimmers have this set up. Fast quick and accurate . same collets and same piolets. Same change over and fast Trimming
    Do you let your power pod run while you switch cases, or turn it on and off for every case?
    ”We know they are lying, they know they are lying, they know we know they are lying, we know they know we know they are lying, yet they are still lying.” –Aleksandr Isayevich Solzhenitsyn

My Straight Shooters thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...raight-shooter

The Pewter Pictures and Hallmarks thread:
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...-and-hallmarks

Boolit Master
    I found since you are locking the case up By Hand sometimes the case is not in the right Position as always . so I push the button On/Off on every case. but with a good rhythm you can do a few hundred cases in an evening.
    NRA Endowment Member

Another plug for the Giraud. I originally bought for the 50BMG. You have to get a case holder for each cartridge but the cutter can be adjusted. It's a pain so I just get a separate cutter for each caliber - one cutter will do all the 22s, 30s, etc. Easier than adjusting the cutter. Like said before - it cuts to length, chamfers, and bevels all in a second or two per casing.