Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRepackboxWidenersInline Fabrication
Snyders Jerky MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Using GC boolits without gascheck?

Boolit Mold

Using GC boolits without gascheck?

Hello together,
    I’m not very experienced in casting, and sadly my English is very bad too, so I can’t read and understand much of the threads here😔.
    So, sorry if this is a question you already answered thousand times already.

Could you please tell me if there would be problems in shooting GC-bullets without using a gascheck?

I would like to try the 300grs Lee .452 bullet in my Alaskan by casting with my ~20 BNH mix of Linotype and Range Lead.
    If needed I could go higher with the BNH, that would be not difficult.

Or is this a bad idea and I should buy a Mold which is built for casting Plain Base bullets (like Accurate Molds offers)?
    Lee Molds are really cheap here, about 40€, and the other manufacturers are three to four times more expensive.

Boolit Master
    I am not nearly as experienced as others on this forum, but I really think you will get better results with a plain based bullet, and there is absolutely nothing wrong with LEE molds. That is ALL I have ever used, and I am pretty much self-taught.

Boolit Master
    Fzr1000: Usually you will get better accuracy using gas checks on bullets that are designed for them. You can use cast bullets without gas checks, but you will probably need to keep velocity low to prevent leading. Years ago I tried cast bullets in a 45-70 without the gas checks. At 1300 fps there's no problem, but once I got up to 1400 fps and above there was problems with bore leading. If you can try it, powder coating might help in this regard, as it may prevent this from happening.

Harder alloys don't always prevent leading. The bullet needs to expand just a little bit on firing so that it seals the bore. Leading happens when hot gases leak past the bullet because it didn't seal the bore. These hot, high velocity gases vaporize some of the lead off of the bullet. This vapor then condenses on the inside of the barrel. Once there's some lead on the inside of the barrel it will gall against the bullets that get shot through that bore and wipe more lead into the barrel. This will build up fast and leave the bullets with ragged edges and poor accuracy. Using harder and harder alloys will prevent the bullets from expanding and sealing the bore.

You need to balance the hardness of the alloy so that it will resist the pressures acting on it by the burning powder, while at the same time sealing the bore. Bullet fit is also important. The standard answer is to have the bullet about .001" above the groove diameter of the barrel. More experienced casters try to match their cast bullets with the throat of the chamber, but because your just starting out I suggest that you try sizing your bullets to just above groove diameter. Also, because you are new at this and said that your English isn't good, I used the word "bullets" so you wouldn't become confused. Lots of bullet casters refer to them as "boolits".

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    I use powder coated GC type boolits all the time without the GCs. You may be able to modify your current mold to make it cast plain based boolits. They will just be slightly heavier.

Boolit Master
    I don't have any gas check molds myself, but I have read posts from many people that get good results when they powdercoat bullets which were originally intended for use with gas checks. If you are interested in powdercoating, I would try it. If you're using traditional lube, I would say you're probably going to be frustrated.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Moderator Emeritus

Lee molds have soft enough aluminum that removing the check area is not that difficult. A good machine shop should be able to ream that out. It can be done with a drill press, the problem is truing it up exactly.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy
    FWIW, most loads under 1300-1400 FPS will shoot ok with or without a GC. Above that, accuracy will deteriorate. I shoot some cast loads in the 30-06, 303 Brit, 7.7 Jap, 7.65 Argentine mauser, 7 and 8mm mausers, etc. at around 2200 FPS with great accuracy and no leading, but a GC is definitely needed. Cast them hard and big and powder coat if you can. That will give you the best chance for good accuracy. 405grain's post covers most of this as well.

Boolit Mold
    Is it the speed that makes a gc necessary?
    Or is it the pressure?

I use my bullets in my Ruger Alaskan with only 2,5“ barrel length, there I never will exceed 1200 fps with the heavy bullets.
    With the 240grs XTP I got actually 1400 fps by using VV N105, but I will switch to Lovex DO37.2 (Acc 9 is the same I heard), so with 300 - 360 grs there 1200 fps will be the maximum I think.

Boolit Grand Master

Your bhn is way too hard . You will get better results with a softer boolit .
    Yes you can shoot them without the gas check installed ... but they will do better if the bhn is 10 or 11 . Large caliber boolits don't need hardness , you will want to shoot them 1,000 - 1,200 fps maximum without the gas check and you want them softer so they will slug-up and fill the bore .
    Even if you install the gas check , hold the velocity to about 1,200 - 1,400 fps you still will do better with a bhn of 10 or 11 .

All my shooting , handgun and 30 cal rifle is done with a bhn 8 alloy (50-50 mix of clip on wheel weights (bhn 9) and pure lead (bhn 5) ... if the velocity is under 1,000 fps I use plain base boolits .
    If velocity is +1,000 fps I use a gas check boolit .
    I have several moulds and do not have to shoot gas check boolits without their checks ... many do and good results can be had by adjusting : velocity , alloy hardness , lubricant or coating .

It's not hard to convert a Lee aluminum mould from gas check to plain base ... a fellow member used the small blade of his pocket knife to carefully shave and remove the gas check step out from the molds base . He said he went slow and removed tiny slivers of aluminum untill the gas check was turned into a plain base mould .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Moderator Emeritus

If I were shooting 45 colt (book loads), I would save the lino and just use 100% range scrap and there would be no problems shooting without a GC.
    If you are shooting 454 casull (or 45 colt with ruger only loads), then I'd add enough Lino to the range scrap so the BHN is around 15 and I would use a GC.

With all that said, Honestly, you can load them anyway you want. You might have some problems, or you might not. There is just so many other factors involved, that it's too difficult to predict specific problems. Just know that a GC will generally improve accuracy, if that's one of your desires?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master
    I have found that most of the time, shooting a gas-check bullet without the gas check results in about a 25% increase in group size over a similar boolit that was not designed for a gas check. It will also group larger than the same bullet with gas check. However, for many uses, the additional cost and time aren't justified for the improvement in accuracy.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    You can have the gas check milled off if not going over 1200fps. I did it on a Lee 310 grain 44 cal. mold and works fine. You can also get a machine shop to ream the mold down to the first lube groove. I have photos but can't load on this forum since I got a new computer. We are using the 310 in a Freedom arms revolver.
    Last edited by 45DUDE; 06-03-2022 at 06:18 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

I was thinking about your post and all the different variables that enter into getting good group sizes , gas checks and boolit moulds being hard / impossible to get , what we know for a fact that does / doesn't work ... and the truth is the only way to see if something works is to try it .

Take the boolits you have , without the gas checks , use the powder you have and find a moderate or starting load , set up a 50 yard target and shoot what you got ... it just may be the best thing since cold beer !

Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master

Fzr1000: Welcome to the forum Sir.
    I have a LEE 452-230 tc mould I bought a few years ago. Unfortunately for me, it is a bevel base design. I DON'T LIKE BEVEL BASE BOOLITS. The biggest issue for me, is that when sizing, the bullet lube fills the void around the perimeter of the boolit base when being sized. Then upon removing the boolit, the lube sticks to the base and needs to be cleaned off before loading. So, I wound up removing the bevel base section of the mould with a "small" "very sharp" pocket knife, and a set of magnifier glasses. Of course this will only work on an aluminum mould. You could do this with your moulds as well, just takes a little patience. Another thing I have been experimenting with, is coating my commercial "bevel base" cast boolits with Lee Liquid Alox. This is definitely stopping the bore leading so far in what I have shot in my testing. Oh by the way. If you decide to remove the gc section from your mould, you might remove a little to much material. No worries, when you size the boolit, it will be sized to the proper diameter.
    Regards
    P.S. Yes, you should cut back on your BHN.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Mold
    Thank you so much for all your help!
    First of all I reduced the hardness of my lead down to ~13 bnh.
    Testing my absolutely first selfmade boolits (selfmade=boolits, buyed=bullets, correct?) yesterday out of my Ruger Alaskan, worked ok for me.

All my first-made boolits are too hard with ~22 bnh, they will go back there way to the cooking pot.

After reading the last post here (if it’s too much of cutting away from the mold the calibration tool will do the work and the boolits can be used after the calibration) I decided to test the modification of the mold.

So the Lee 452-300 RF with the double cavities is ordered, let’s have a look if it will work fine.

Sorry for my baby-like english again, hope you can understand what the meaning of my lines should be.
    I try my best, but writing such special stuff in a foreign language is really hard.

South of the north pole in the land of the falling waters
    The short answer is yes it can be done rather easy and it doesn't take a great deal of experimentation .

Jack
    Buy it cheap and stack it deep , you may need it !

Black Rifles Matter

Boolit Master

Q1.) Do you plan to shoot cast boolits fast?
    Q2.) Are you shooting targets, hunting game, or competing for accuracy?

Knowing what you are trying to accomplish might help us help you.

Self defense - no human on Earth can run 900 fps. A fast boolit is not necessary, but accuracy is.
    Hunting - dead is dead. It does not matter to the animal if the boolit was fast or slow. Accuracy counts.
    Targets/competing - accuracy wins, not speed of the boolit.

Practice, practice, practice, makes perfect. A big hole in the right place beats a lot of holes in the wrong places.

Speed doesn't kill. It is the sudden stop at the end.
    Last edited by Land Owner; 06-27-2022 at 05:03 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Master
    And don't worry about your English. You are doing far better than some who are natives.

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    Q1.) Do you plan to shoot cast boolits fast?
    Q2.) Are you shooting targets, hunting game, or competing for accuracy?

Knowing what you are trying to accomplish might help us help you.

Self defense - no human on Earth can run 900 fps. A fast boolit is not necessary, but accuracy is.
    Hunting - dead is dead. It does not matter to the animal if the boolit was fast or slow. Accuracy counts.
    Targets/competing - accuracy wins, not speed of the boolit.

Practice, practice, practice, makes perfect. A big hole in the right place beats a lot of holes in the wrong places.

Speed doesn't kill. It is the sudden stop at the end.
    Poorly here where I life self Defence I absolutely prohibited and you will go to jail for long years if you would have a gun on your belt outside of a shooting hall.
    I’m really sad not to live in a free country like the USA.
    The laws are such strange, they go harder and harder every year, our politicians must be in fear of their citizens as hell.
    Only bad and corrupt politicians try to take away the guns from their citizens because they are in fear that the people will defend themselves against the politic the „big ones“ do.
    It’s a really big dream to go to the USA to work and live there, believe me.
    But I’m sure there‘s no place for me to work, so it will stay a dream forever.

But back to topic:
    No self defence.
    Maybe sometimes hunting (only „finishing shots“ are allowed with handguns, normal hunting is only allowed with long rifles longer than 60cm)
    Mostly it’s target shooting for fun.
    My Alaskan is only my „fun gun“ to get a real heavy hit onto the wrist, distance to target is maximum 25 meters.

My selfmade 255grs PowderCoating HardCast Boolit (Lee) I loaded in front of 28 grs Lovex DO37.2 witch is the same as Accurate No.9.
    There it travels to target with 450m/s, that’s about 1475 fps.
    That’s my absolute maximum load, with this loading I have sticky cases that must be pushed out of the gun one after one.
    With 26,5grs I can use the extractor for all six cases together.

Boolit Buddy
    If you are going to push bullets fast, most folks will suggest the gas checks. We have had some good luck with checks off but our loads are under 1500 fps and powder coated.current load development is two very heavy cast bullets in a .357 rifle. One bullet shows a good improvement with GC, the other has not. So try and see .
    Last edited by PAndy; 06-28-2022 at 08:25 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast