Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersRepackbox
Load DataRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan Reloading
Reloading Everything Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Removing Bullet lube

Boolit Master

Without rereading the whole thread to see if someone actually mentioned removing PC, every question, comment and post title are about LUBE removal so bullets could be PC'd.

One of us, you or me may be experiencing a Brandon moment or two. LOL
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Man
    Oley55,

I think the entire thread is about removing lube (meaning traditional wax/grease-based) not removing powder coating. I'm sure there are strong solvents that would remove powder coating (paint stripper?) but I would ask why? Is that what you meant?

For me, PC has been a game-changer. With pistol bullets, I have essentially eliminated cleaning my guns especially if I use a clean-burning powder like American Select. I will stop and clean my revolvers after about 800 rounds only because I feel guilty, not because they arent shooting accurately. With my rifle calibers, I will clean a little sooner, especially if I am working up loads, but for plinking/practice loads, they can go 2-300 rounds and I see no accuracy degradation.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by reedap1 View Post
    Oley55,

I think the entire thread is about removing lube (meaning traditional wax/grease-based) not removing powder coating. I'm sure there are strong solvents that would remove powder coating (paint stripper?) but I would ask why? Is that what you meant?

For me, PC has been a game-changer. With pistol bullets, I have essentially eliminated cleaning my guns especially if I use a clean-burning powder like American Select. I will stop and clean my revolvers after about 800 rounds only because I feel guilty, not because they arent shooting accurately. With my rifle calibers, I will clean a little sooner, especially if I am working up loads, but for plinking/practice loads, they can go 2-300 rounds and I see no accuracy degradation.
    well yea, I was responding to post #19:
    WALKS, et al - Why remove the PC? Head scratching here...
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Xylene is nasty stuff, and not cheap, either. I put 300 .32 caliber pistol bullets that had spilled onto a dirty floor in a large glass bowl, covered with water to a depth of about an inch, and microwaved it until the water just boiled. Skimmed off the floating lube, stirred vigorously, and did it again. Took me just a few minutes. Clean bullets, no dangerous fumes, no hazardous waste. Bowl cleaned up with ordinary liquid dish detergent.
    Cognitive Dissident

Quote Originally Posted by uscra112 View Post
    Xylene is nasty stuff, and not cheap, either. I put 300 .32 caliber pistol bullets ...in a large glass bowl, covered with water to a depth of about an inch,
    and microwaved it until the water just boiled.
    I applaud the boiling water... but you microwaved a bowl full of conductive lead ?

Quote Originally Posted by mehavey View Post
    I applaud the boiling water... but you microwaved a bowl full of conductive lead ?
    Yup. No problem at all when immersed in water.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Land Owner View Post
    rsrocket1 - is the first picture the AFTER and the 2nd picture the BEFORE?

WALKS, et al - Why remove the PC? Head scratching here...
    Land Owner,

I'm not removing PC, I'm removing Lube from bullets that were Lubed with 50/50 many years back so I can Powder Coat them NOW.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Bub
    If you throw the lined bullet back in the pot does the lube act like wax flux and flare up?

Quote Originally Posted by Shurshot2 View Post
    If you throw the lined bullet back in the pot does the lube act like wax flux and flare up?
    Of course.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Walks View Post
    Land Owner,

I'm not removing PC, I'm removing Lube from bullets that were Lubed with 50/50 many years back so I can Powder Coat them NOW.
    Yes, I see that, now, as you, oley55, and others have indicated. I made a mistake once, but I was wrong in that. It WAS an honest mistake and nothing back-handed about it. I'll shut up now...
    Last edited by Land Owner; 07-08-2022 at 07:25 AM.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

If you have a steel 3# coffee can, pour bullets in, shake level, pour just over top of bullets with Acetone, put plastic top on, let sit 30 minutes, stir by revolving can, pour off, refill to top of bullets, sit for 30 minutes, pour off, clean as a cat whisker. Done thousands, just that quick. if GCs, pop them off or they will bubble when baked with PC. I do use shake and bake, with a nose down hardware cloth box no GC needed with two coats.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

I would just relube with lee alox and shoot them till gone why need to powder coat them anyway? Tons more work for what?

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer in NH View Post
    I would just relube with lee alox and shoot them till gone why need to powder coat them anyway? Tons more work for what?
    I agree. Don't understand this fad for powdercoating anyway.
    Cognitive Dissident

Boolit Mold
    I use minerals spirits in glass mason jar. Soak for 24hours rinse with hot water.

I've used Coleman fuel for this purpose several times. Soak the bullets in a container overnight. Pour out the fuel in the morning and soak the bullets in water with a little Dawn added. Rinse with water after that. Works great.

Just use some BLL and shoot. Did boil some 40sw with blue cracked stuff, skimmed it off. PCd with ES gun, worked fine. Had some undersized lazercast for 30/30. Recast them. Why use expensive solvent?
    Whatever!

Boolit Master

These bullets are for a Cowboy Shooter who prefers PC.
    I HATE auto-correct

Happiness is a Warm GUN & more ammo to shoot in it.

My Experience and My Opinion, are just that, Mine.

SASS #375 Life

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by JCM45 View Post
    I've used Coleman fuel for this purpose several times. Soak the bullets in a container overnight. Pour out the fuel in the morning and soak the bullets in water with a little Dawn added. Rinse with water after that. Works great.
    Coleman fuel was $14 a gallon at Walmart the other day. Think I'd find a less expensive method. Just saying.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Only done it once, plain old hot boiling water removes the lube, at least in my case with no problems. I just boil the bullets in a pot for about 20 minutes twice and skimmed the lube off the top when the water cooled, the second time was just for good measure. I then gave the bullets an acetone wash and let them dry before coating, coated fine just like they never had any lube on them at all.

Last edited by res45; 09-05-2022 at 05:53 AM.

Boolit Bub
    I just did this with a bunch of aloxed bullets yesterday. Put lubed bullets in a glass pickle jar and fill with gasoline to cover them. The lube comes off in a couple minutes with a good shake, or let them soak about 1/2 hour, then drain. I then rinse them by spraying with carb. or brake cleaner. Ready for powder coating as soon as they dry.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12