Lee PrecisionSnyders JerkyRepackboxTitan Reloading
WidenersReloading EverythingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Looking at trucks

Boolit Master

Looking at trucks

I went looking for a truck last week and will now look for a 1951-3 Chevy 3100 or 1950-52 F3 Ford with a flathead V8. It is crazy when you can buy a turnstyle frame up restoration cheaper than a new truck. I use it more to drive to stores and very seldom pick up wood for my playing at furniture making so don't need much of a truck.

Boolit Master
    Aren't those 1 ton trucks? Seems a bit big and rough riding for a run to town truck.

You could build a 1/2 ton heavy duty sleeper, older long bed, small block with extra leaf and coil spring over loads, plus air shocks, heavy duty tires. My 67 1/2 ton GMC would haul a full banded bunk of 8-10 ft long 2xs. I had it repainted in a light tan in and out so it did not stand out. I used it as my personal company truck when I owned a lumber company to collect bills or deliver small loads to sites when out.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master

Buy a restored classic, run for 5 years sell at twice what you paid. Start again. Why lose money on new.

Boolit Master
    I do have a small farm so do need a heavy truck a little.

Moderator Emeritus

Have you seen the prices folks are asking and getting for their old trucks? Unbelievable. I've wanted a pre-computer 4x4 after finding my old timing light and such and can not believe what they are going for now. Just not worth it at this time.

Boolit Buddy
    Might look at GMC's their engines had insert bearings and full pressure oil.

Boolit Buddy

I'll take an early 50s "Advanced Design" Chevy or GMC over a Ford flathead any day. The family business had three such Chevys and the last of them was sold running in 1976.

Noah

Boolit Master
    Still running a 1995 Dodge 2500 Cummins 12V

Had a 1953 Ford F500 flathead until 5 years ago. It was a bit primitive.

Had a bone stock '51 Chevy 1/2T for a cpl years. Got 26mpg on the highway empty. Would drop to about 20 with a medium sized load.

This is about what my '07 F150 (5sp,6cly)gets.

Boolit Master

I think an F-150 or Chevy half-ton from the late 60's to late 70's would be ideal for a run around pickup.

The problem is around here, you have to have 4x4, and old 4x4 pickups are a nightmare to drive in the winter with no ABS or traction control. And they are very expensive.

But, most of us will remember how to drive without all the gadgets and around here $15,000 will get you this nicely restored `78 3/4-ton Jeep J20...

Attachment 300850

Or for the same $15,000, you could get this...

Attachment 300851

It's a 2005 Ford F-250 Superduty 4x4 with the 5.4 V8 and 72k original miles in nice condition.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    International Harvester (IH) trucks dont seem to have the same interest as Ford and Chev,and arent really much different......if you were of a mind to,fitting a BT Cummins wouldnt be too hard,or costly.......I see 1990s 6BTs selling for under $1000 here.

Boolit Master
    I forgot about IH pickups, will put on my list.

If I put a diesel in one it would be a 1960-70 Cat or Cummins no electronics for control. I worked for Cat in those years and was surprised what the older Cats could get miles/gal. with the right gears. Didn't have to have the additives needed today.

Boolit Master
    Back in the day (as they say) I worked on a lot of the 6BT Cummins motors,pretty sure they had no electronics in the 90s ...the industrial motors anyway..........another motor for pickups thats popular here is the 4/53 GM.......with them that like the screaming noise and permanent deafness ,anyway.

Boolit Master

Don't get an International unless you have a diesel to put in it. They were known for having a tremendous thirst for gas. I was told of one that ran out of gas in remote New Mexico. They found out later that it got 4 mpg.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Back in the day (as they say) I worked on a lot of the 6BT Cummins motors,pretty sure they had no electronics in the 90s ...the industrial motors anyway..........another motor for pickups thats popular here is the 4/53 GM.......with them that like the screaming noise and permanent deafness ,anyway.
    What did you say? Speak up, please!

Noah

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    Don't get an International unless you have a diesel to put in it. They were known for having a tremendous thirst for gas. I was told of one that ran out of gas in remote New Mexico. They found out later that it got 4 mpg.
    My '97 Dodge Ram 2500 4x4 V10 got 9mpg. Loved that truck but so did rust on the frame.

I'll cut you a two for one deal on a bobbed 1964 Ford 2 ton and a 1948 M Farmall.....
    Whoops, forgot about the Buster Boat on the back. 3 for one!

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Does the 48 M have an electric starter?

Quote Originally Posted by john.k View Post
    Those old Detroit's sound so good when they wind up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast