MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load DataSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: pulling .44 mag. hard cast

Boolit Bub

pulling .44 mag. hard cast

Anyone else have trouble pulling hard cast bullets with collet puller? Have RCBS puller and works fine on everything except lead bullets. Thx

I pulled over 200 44 mags when I switched from a sbh to a BH in 44 special. They were not hard cast, just WW alloy. I used pliers and stuck the bullet through my press hole. It worked but sucked as it’s hard on the hands because you have to use a death grip.

Boolit Master
    I typically use an inertia type bullet puller (hammer type) on handgun cartridges. It is tedious, but it works.
    Service members, veterans and those concerned about their mental health can call the Veterans Crisis Line to speak to trained professionals. To talk to someone, call 1-800-273-8255 and Press 1, send a text message to 838255 or chat at VeteransCrisisLine.net/Chat.

If you or someone you know might be at risk of suicide, there is help. Call the National Suicide Prevention Lifeline at 1-800-273-8255, text a crisis counselor at 741741 or visit suicidepreventionlifeline.org.

Boolit Grand Master

Quite often collet type bullet pulling tools won't work on cast bullets, especially crimped. To get the collet tight enough the bullets are squeezed and the colles just slips off. I have used the side cutter, pliers method often but usually just get out my inertia puller (hammer type). I use a shell holder rather than the aluminum collet and hammer on a lead ingot. The ingot/puck softens the blow a bit, but not enough to make pulling more difficult. A lead anvil quietens the vibration/jar to the hands and is much quieter.

My puller rarely gets used 'cause I don't make mistakes
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I cant remember who came up with the shell holder Ideal, Who ever it was THANK YOU! I hated thous aluminum collets.
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    I use the shell holder method in the inertia puller too; but I did manage to break one in half doing this. It was an rcbs, but I felt I had abused it and didn’t ask for a replacement. I’m pretty sure it was a rifle cartridge and the mass of cartridge and shell holder took it apart. Guessing that is why rcbs went with aluminum collets.
    Decreed by our Creator: The man who has been made able to believe and understand that Jesus Christ has been sent into this world by the Father has been born of the Spirit of God. This man shall never experience spiritual death. He will live forever!

I do the same thing as Bazoo except I use a pair of vice grips. Once you get them set properly, it works a charm. The bullets are not usable, but they remelt just fine.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Inertia puller on a steel anvil with a section of rubber fuel line in the bottom to catch the bullet. Hit it flat, square and hard the first shot. Two have shattered, I have a bent shank on my favorite, so whack em good or you will be all day pulling heavy crimped 44s. I use a profile crimp.
    “There is a remedy for all things, save death.“
    Cervantes

“Never give up, never quit.”
    Robert Rogers
    Roger’s Rangers

There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.
    Will Rogers

Boolit Master
    What is wrong with the collet that come with the inertia type pullers? Ive used mine at times. Used a shell holder too. But not as much as the collet that comes with it.

Boolit Master

Pulled a few bullets in my 57 years of reloading. Firstly, I tried the inertia puller for the first few years. That's not to say I pulled hundreds of bullets, just occasionally when needed. I didn't like the inertia system or procedure. Next was the "grab the bullet with pliers and pull on the press handle" system. This worked, but if you have to put the nose of the pliers down into the threaded section of the press and pull the handle up, the pliers will booger up the threads. Finally settled on using a shell holder extention to push the cartridge through and up above the top of the press. This way, you can use a set of side cutters to grip the boolit and pull the handle down. A few years ago, I found a "miniature" set of nippers. The ones farriers use to trim horses hooves, only half the size. These work real good, and are best for clinching onto a cast bullet. Enjoy your boolit pulling endevor.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Boolit Master

P.S.
    Depending on the type of bullet you are trying to pull, you may not need the shell holder extention for your 44 cartridges.
    If a 41 won't stop it, I wouldn't bet my life on a 44.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    What is wrong with the collet that come with the inertia type pullers? Ive used mine at times. Used a shell holder too. But not as much as the collet that comes with it.
    It can be too short for pistol bullets. Best thing to pull cast with is a dog nail trimmer. Oldfeller came up with it. Run the cartridge up in the press with no die. Grab the bullet and lower the ram.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Pull the decapping pin out of your sizing die and resize a few to try it out. Makes pulling easier.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    It can be too short for pistol bullets. Best thing to pull cast with is a dog nail trimmer. Oldfeller came up with it. Run the cartridge up in the press with no die. Grab the bullet and lower the ram.
    How can the shell holder be too short? Put the cartridge in the shell holder, drop it in the inertia puller, screw the cap down and whack the devil out of it.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 44MAG#1 View Post
    How can the shell holder be too short? Put the cartridge in the shell holder, drop it in the inertia puller, screw the cap down and whack the devil out of it.
    He is referring to the pliers method on the reloading press. The bullet might not extend far enough up to grip the bullet with pliers.

He is NOT referring to the inertia puller.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    He is referring to the pliers method on the reloading press. The bullet might not extend far enough up to grip the bullet with pliers.

He is NOT referring to the inertia puller.
    He quoted me in his reply.

Boolit Master

I use the RCBS collet die for pulling jacketed, and sometimes it will also work with lead boolits too, even though it's not supposed to. But usually I just use the press and vice grips on the lead ones. I came across a tip to use the cutoff plastic case of a 12 gauge with three or four slits to make petals slipped over the cartridge to protect the press die threads from the vice grips.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Grand Master
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Line plier puller.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	48.3 KB 
ID:	300742Click image for larger version. 

Name:	spacer for puller.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	40.1 KB 
ID:	300743

Here's my home made bullet puller, a pair of old lineman pliers that I ground to form a semi-circle that grabs the boolit. Next to it is a PVC spacer I cut so that short cartridges can be pulled.
    You cannot discover new oceans unless you have the courage to lose sight of the shore

Boolit Master

The inertia puller with a foam ear plug in the bottom to cushion the bullet allows me to reuse the bullets. I’ve also found if the projectile’s been tightly crimped, I can lose it by tapping it back into the case a mil or two with a rubber or leather mallet.
    Wad cutters are a different story.

Boolit Master

Might as well grab the inertia puller and get after it. I once had a friend load 400 rounds of .40 S&W for me when I couldn’t for myself. Had a squib. Didn’t trust the rest and had to pull over 300 with an inertia puller. BTW, I found one more round without powder.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast