RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Wideners Reloading Everything

Thread: Hollands Cast Iron Pot #14 ???

Hollands Cast Iron Pot #14 ???

Recently ran across a cast iron pot at a sale, it's marked Hollands and Erie Tool Works, Erie, Pa.
    Quick Google search didn't find much.
    Erie and cast pots/pans seems to bring up Griswold.
    Obviously not Griswold.
    Was used for lead, as there is 1" or more lead still in it.
    Anyone have any info on this brand?

Boolit Master
    Erie toolworks made all sorts of iron stuff, from pans to bench and pipe vises.

Boolit Master

The eye on the side is opposite the spout, like a metal casting ladle. Maybe a lead melting pot. Pour molten lead into a dipper for sealing ductile iron pipe? My dad had a smaller one with a dipper type handle for filling pipe joints. Would make sense a large pot would be used for melting.

Boolit Grand Master
    Looks like a plumber’s pot to me… from back in the day when plumbing involved al metal pipe and soldered joints. Currently, casters of bullets or other lead objects, along with historians are about the only ones interested in such items. If it were min, I’d put it to work on my plumber’s furnace or a turkey fryer burner and smelt lead in it. Nice find!

From the InterNet: this marking would appear after 1959 when ETW acquired Holland’s. The Erie Tool Works company, which was started in 1902 has been through several mergers, sales, splits, etc, but is currently still in business. They made tools branded for several well known companies over the years.

Froggie
    Last edited by Green Frog; 05-28-2022 at 09:59 AM. Reason: Additional info
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    That’s a very nice find. It is a melting pot for lead. We had some like that at the phone company for sealing lead splice cases on cable. Ours were cast with ATT on them. Lead wiping was obsolete while I was there. Only a few old guys knew how to do it. I’ve soldered holes in a lead sleeve and it takes a quick hand. Heat for less than a finger snap get out of the work with the flame. Heat it again. It was tedious.

Boolit Grand Master

Thats a nice looking pot and should clean up well. I can't tell you anything about it except what you can find on Google.

Boolit Master
    Definitely a lead pot. Looks almost like the one I have in the garage. Frank