MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersLoad DataRepackbox
Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionInline FabricationTitan Reloading
RotoMetals2

Thread: Drawing Gas Checks for Jackets

Drawing Gas Checks for Jackets

Good morning all. Anyone ever taken .45 gas checks and tried to draw them for .224 jackets? I was going to try this an see what kind of length and wall thickness I could get out if it. I'm going for a longer jacket than what a 22lr case can provide.

Anyone every experiment with this option?

Boolit Master

do you realize how many steps that will take. get some 17hmr brass.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

Yeah I do. I already do 17 and 22mag which Ive got buckets of, but I just lay in bed thinking about all the possibilities out there. 22 mag does make a perfect 120 open tip .224 though. I enjoy the process and outcome as a hobby, so steps within that process don't bother me.

Quote Originally Posted by SSG_Reloader View Post
    Good morning all. Anyone ever taken .45 gas checks and tried to draw them for .224 jackets? I was going to try this an see what kind of length and wall thickness I could get out if it. I'm going for a longer jacket than what a 22lr case can provide.

But why a 45 gas check? If you have dies that can draw a jacket why not start from a clean slate and punch a copper disc and go from there, like its originally done?

It would be cheaper also to source copper sheet instead of gas checks.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    True dat! The same copper sheet gas checks are made from, but then one would need the blanking punch tooling versus the checks already being punched out. Hey, maybe the unformed blanks can be gotten bulk from some gas check maker willing to do business.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by SSG_Reloader View Post

I had a quick look at Hornady .452 gas check prices on Brownells website, per 1000 ($54.99) they are half the price of j4 and corbins .224 jackets. I think the idea has some merit. The base thickness is about 0.017" and the wall height about 0.070" from the info on a couple of websites. To get a .224" jacket around 0.710" in length might have thinnish walls but I reckon it would come out thicker than a rimfire case. There would at least 4 dies to draw down to .224" and most probably the gas checks would have to be annealed again. This would be a great little project for someone who has a bit of time on their hands to lathe turn down some basic dies. The cost is a more the free .22LR cases but heaps cheaper than commercial copper jackets.

Thanks Andrew. That's part of the answer in what I was looking for. I was hoping for something longer than .710 for heavy .224 which is why I was thinking about the possibility of the .45 gas checks. Guess I'll stick with 22Mag and 17.