WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky

Thread: Feedback on S&W 317 air light

Boolit Master

Feedback on S&W 317 air light

Hi all,

I am looking for feedback on the S&W model 317 air light .22lr revolver. I am looking at it for my wife’s carry gun. She has a .38spl Bodyguard but even with 38 short colt cases and very minimal loads, she can’t deal with the recoil.

I have a Taurus 94 .22lr revolver but the trigger pull on it is like 30#. I haven’t tried to do a spring upgrade on it, I don’t know if it could be improved enough to be a reliable gun with a more reasonable trigger pull.

Thanks for your feedback and other suggestions for a .22lr carry revolver
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Boolit Grand Master
    I've had my Air lite Model 317 for about 3 years. I put a spring kit in mine.
    It is 101% reliable !
    Mine works great double action or single.
    I keep CCI Mini Mag HPs in mine.
    I'd say it would be a great choice for a carry gun for a woman.

Some would say that the minimum caliber is .38 / 357 in a defensive role for a woman. However, some women may not do well with one of those. If it feels like a brick in her purse, and kicks like a mule, a lot of women just will not carry it. If the pistol is at home and she has nothing in her purse, well we know the rest of that one. What good is a pistol doing her if she will not carry it ?

The .22 has a role for a female, low recoil, low noise level, quick to get back on the target for multiple shots on a car jacker , etc.

Where would a " bad guy " be with 3 Mini-Mag HP's in his head and 3 or 4 in his chest ?

Mine isn't for sale.

Ben

Last edited by Ben; 05-26-2022 at 08:19 PM.

Boolit Buddy

<My 317 if great also, Only I have Stingers in mine. Only thing I do not like is the "V" rear sight, thinking about replacing with standard notch Light enough I forget it's in my pocket. GW

Boolit Grand Master
    I walk a mile each day.
    The Smith 317 is with me on my walk.
    I hardly know it is there.

Ben
    Last edited by Ben; 05-26-2022 at 06:01 PM.

Boolit Man
    My wife has the model 63, which is the "Air-Heavy" stainless version of this gun. They are nice little revolvers. I did notice an issue with hers that the firing pin strikes the rimfire brass with enough force to distort it, causing increasing drag as you fire double action through the eight shots. I haven't had it looked at yet to see about having it corrected. It's an "I want to be carried" gun.

I have one and use it to teach beginners. Great revolver. I shoot bulk promo ammo in mine Federal 36 gr HP and Rem Thunderbolts. After shooting several rounds you will need to clean under the ejector as cylinder rotation becomes sticky.

Boolit Grand Master FergusonTO35's Avatar
    If a bottom feeder is possible, Ruger LCP II .22 LR all the way. I love mine, it eats Aguila Interceptor 40 grain which clock an honest 1000 fps out of that short barrel.
    Currently casting and loading: .32 Auto, .380 Auto, .38 Special, 9X19, .357 Magnum, .257 Roberts, 6.5 Creedmoor, .30 WCF, .308 WCF, .45-70.

Boolit Master
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think it would be a perfect carry gun for my wife.

I’ve looked at the LCP 2 lite in .22lr but in an emergency situation, I feel, a revolver is the way to go. Just pull the trigger again, no worries of stove pipes, ftf, etc.

21 years ago, I bought my first handgun (GP100) and I’ve been a revolver guy ever since. First big bore handgun I shot was a .44spl S&W of my step father’s when I was 12-13; that’s what probably really made me a revolver guy.
    8500' Wet Mountain Valley, Colorado

Nothing at all wrong about a .22LR for self defense, particularly in a DA revolver where pulling the trigger is all that's needed to clear a bad round. 8 or 10 cartridges in the cylinder is plenty good.

Boolit Grand Master
    A 30-40 grain bullet at 750-900 fps? Nothing wrong with that? Well, that's what you'll get from a 2 inch barrel revolver.

I concede that something is better than nothing, but I can not really endorse a 22 unless the user is so feeble that they absolutely can't handle a more powerful, centerfire gun. Even then, I'd recommend a 4" barrel or longer.

I shoot every Wednesday in a small-bore, club, Bullseye Match; 90 rounds, 30 each, slow fire, timed fire, and rapid fire. Not a week goes by that we don't have at least three or four alibis due to misfires. We keep a jug of water to store duds in. ~4 per 1100 failure rate--that's reality as I see it in 2022.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    A 30-40 grain bullet at 750-900 fps? Nothing wrong with that? Well, that's what you'll get from a 2 inch barrel revolver.

I concede that something is better than nothing, but I can not really endorse a 22 unless the user is so feeble that they absolutely can't handle a more powerful, centerfire gun. Even then, I'd recommend a 4" barrel or longer.

I shoot every Wednesday in a small-bore, club, Bullseye Match; 90 rounds, 30 each, slow fire, timed fire, and rapid fire. Not a week goes by that we don't have at least three or four alibis due to misfires. We keep a jug of water to store duds in. ~4 per 1100 failure rate--that's reality as I see it in 2022.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Premium .22LR rimfire ammo has been a game changer. The Federal Punch .22LR will do 1070fps ..... out of a 2" muzzle. CCI Velociter is just as fast.

Folks need to get more up to date on .22LR for CCW/EDC/SD.

https://castboolits.gunloads.com/sho...=1#post5412964
    The .45-70 is the only government I trust.

My 3" 317 is right at 1,000 fps with the 36 gr HP Federal Bulk (mfg'd ~2013 ish) Never chrono'd CCI Stingers

Quote Originally Posted by mobilemail View Post
    My wife has the model 63, which is the "Air-Heavy" stainless version of this gun. They are nice little revolvers. I did notice an issue with hers that the firing pin strikes the rimfire brass with enough force to distort it, causing increasing drag as you fire double action through the eight shots. I haven't had it looked at yet to see about having it corrected. It's an "I want to be carried" gun.
    I find this interesting.
    I have a "MOD63" the way it is stamped on the frame, under the crane.
    It has a 4 inch barrel, 6 shot cylinder and target sights.
    Stainless Steel and wood grips, Had it for many years.
    Used to be call a "KIT GUN".
    Seems to be a different gun using the same model number. 6 versa 8 shot.

"If you can put a hole through the vitals you're aiming for, caliber doesn't matter, and if you cant, caliber doesn't matter".

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by FrankJD View Post
    "If you can put a hole through the vitals you're aiming for, caliber doesn't matter, and if you cant, caliber doesn't matter".
    Well said and could not get it said any better!/Ed

Quote Originally Posted by tja6435 View Post
    Thanks everyone for your input. I think it would be a perfect carry gun for my wife.

I’ve looked at the LCP 2 lite in .22lr but in an emergency situation, I feel, a revolver is the way to go. Just pull the trigger again, no worries of stove pipes, ftf, etc.

21 years ago, I bought my first handgun (GP100) and I’ve been a revolver guy ever since. First big bore handgun I shot was a .44spl S&W of my step father’s when I was 12-13; that’s what probably really made me a revolver guy.
    The downside of pretty much all DA-only revolvers, particularly the rimfire ones, is the very hefty trigger pull. That might take building up hand/finger strength.

Aside from that, I dunno what could be a safer no-worry carry than a DA-only internal hammer wheel gun. Always safe in a holster or pocket, ready to fire with a trigger pull (to which that hefty pull insures a positive attitude that the gun needs to be fired NOW), no safety to think about, no semi-auto FTF or FTE clearing issues. There is no concern with revolver carry condition, it's always in Condition 2. Pull the trigger. If an FTF occurs, keep pulling.

A centerfire snubby is 5 to 6 rounds. With a .22LR revolver you get 8 to 10 rounds. Reloading kinda sucks but might get better with speed loader training/practice. But, how often will 8 to 10 rounds of Federal Punch or CCI Velocitor not be enuf to stop a threat at 20 feet?

A .22LR in any format adds greatly reduced: noise, cylinder/muzzle blast, recoil issues. Noise factor is something most folks don't dwell on, but it's of particularly serious consequence indoors. A much lowered recoil factor and overall round blast allows for interesting firing positions that might be difficult if not impossible with a centerfire handgun. As long as a hole or two or three can quickly be punched deep into a human body vital area, the size of the hole is if little concern, then it's speed and accuracy that are most important.

Boolit Man
    And another odd insight for a rimfire revolver -
    In IL, someone in the field with CCL can only carry a handgun whose caliber is legal for the game you're hunting. So for small hunting, that leads one to a Taurus Judge .410 or a .22/.22WMR. The other nice thing about revolvers is they can shoot about any ammo you feed them, semi-autos range from somewhat picky to really picky. A buddy of mine prefers CCI quiets in his revolvers when running his traps.