RotoMetals2Reloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyLoad Data
Repackbox Titan Reloading

Thread: Before You Buy That Springfield SA-35 "Hi-Power" Clone....

Before You Buy That Springfield SA-35 "Hi-Power" Clone....

Laid down some serious cash for a Springfield SA-35 "Browning HiPower" clone.

It's a slightly "improved" version of the original HiPower, in that it has an extended safety.

Took it to the range for its initial firing.

Using a standard "thumb over thumb" 2-hand hold, with my admittedly beefy hands (where the two thumbs are parallel with the slide and away from the mag release) I fired a mag.

Twice, the gun quit firing. Nothing was wrong.

I traced the problem to the safety being pushed upward ever so slightly by my right thumb under recoil. It was enough for the gun to go on safe and refuse to fire. I had to push the safety down for the gun to continue to fire.

The safety was not even close to being fully engaged -- it merely was nudged up by my right thumb a tad. Looking at the slide, the safety was not engaged. But the gun refused to fire.

I've decided the Springfield is really a one-hand gun. It works perfectly if I shoot it holding in just my right hand.

I'm thinking of replacing this new factory extended safety with an original low-profile safety. But that's another $45 dollars. Disappointing that out of the box I feel like I have to modify the gun so it will work in my hands.

Something to be aware of if you're considering this gun.

Or hold yer thumbs differently.....
    Deplorable infidel

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by fastdadio View Post
    Or hold yer thumbs differently.....
    ^^^ This ^^^
    If your thumbs are that “beefy” you might want to use the safety as a sort of thumb rest, keeping the lever locked down by you right thumb on top instead of nudging it up. Just a suggestion…
    Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    ^^^ This ^^^
    If your thumbs are that “beefy” you might want to use the safety as a sort of thumb rest, keeping the lever locked down by you right thumb on top instead of nudging it up. Just a suggestion…
    Froggie
    Yep, STEP ON THE GAS!

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    ^^^ This ^^^
    Froggie
    I tried holding on top of ("riding") the safety. Totally uncomfortable. If I rode the safety, I'd almost guarantee getting bit by the hammer

I'm simply pointing out that the Springfield SA-35 has a safety that activates in about 1/32" upward movement, even though it can and should travel another 1/8" or more into its safety notch on the slide.

In the picture below the safety is engaged and the trigger cannot be pulled.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Springfield SA-35 safety engaged smaller IMG_2299.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	126.5 KB 
ID:	300629

Boolit Grand Master
    I wear a size 12 4E shoe: me telling you to buy shoes like mine will most likely work badly.

By the same token, the BHP that I have fits my hand wonderfully. No other double stack pistol come close--FOR ME. But that doesn't mean that you will find the same fit that I do. Before buying anything you use with your hands, it is a good idea to handle one to see if there is any perceptible problem that will interfere with your use. Left-handed people have to do this all the time. All that said, that picture is persuasive.

I am of the opinion that Liberty1776 is correct in that his safety is engaging prematurely. Were it mine, I'd be sending it to Springfield for repair.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Old 1911 stack thumb here, bought a new MK4 Ruger and first time out the last round slide stop did not work from first magazine to last. Went home aggravated and after cleaning and inspection figured out hot dog fingers left thumb was laying on slide stop. The 1911 platform has had a safety made for every configuration of hand and hold one could think of for needed/wanted fit and I have modified my new. Grind, profile and fit to make Mr. Liberty happy, no cost but time and worst case $45 if no issue found from premature engagement.

I'd be calling springfield. Safety is bad if it moves slightly and stops the gun. Should be on or off. At least my opinion. Moving up a hair shouldn't set the safety.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Handloader109 View Post
    I'd be calling springfield. Safety is bad if it moves slightly and stops the gun. Should be on or off. At least my opinion. Moving up a hair shouldn't set the safety.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
    I agree , that safety , thumb combination would be unacceptable to me.

Designed to have your thumb on top of the safety.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master
    If you intend to use the gun for self defense, it must work without having to think about how you hold it.

If $45 fixes the issue that is not too bad. If it does not, I would replace it with a gun that works for you.
    Don Verna

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    If you intend to use the gun for self defense, it must work without having to think about how you hold it.

If $45 fixes the issue that is not too bad. If it does not, I would replace it with a gun that works for you.
    It's a training issue...so you train until you don't think about it...kind of like aiming. 1911s are the same...if you don't keep your thumb on top you are risking a broken safety and possibly tying up the gun.
    If you live on the razor's edge and slip, you will die in two pieces

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 5Shot View Post
    It's a training issue...so you train until you don't think about it...kind of like aiming. 1911s are the same...if you don't keep your thumb on top you are risking a broken safety and possibly tying up the gun.
    Interesting. I have never heard of keeping your thumb on the safety to make sure it is down. I carried Kimbers for many years and never had a FTF from accidently engaging the safety. I must have skinny/small hands. But I never had to shoot them under stress either, so maybe the problem was there all along waiting to bite me.
    Don Verna

You may benefit from a grip change—yours or the gun’s.

If the safety protrudes sideways, out over and beyond the edge of the grip panel, you need to keep your thumb above it, resting on top of it.

A thicker grip panel or one that comes higher up the frame to close the gap between itself and the safety would help keep your thumb from pushing it upward.

Boolit Buddy
    I do reviews for gun magazines and we had the same problem when we were doing the review on the Springfield, Springfield told us they would address the problem, but we were having a hard time getting it to run…and that was 8-9 months ago

Boolit Grand Master
    I thought about this a bit more. Been shooting for over 50 years and muscle memory is ingrained in me. If modifying the safety or grip would not provide a 100% fix for the issue, I would trade the gun in if it was purchased as a self defense weapon.

I would not trust using a different hand grip to address the problem. When the SHTF, all I want to think about is putting the front sight on the threat and pulling the trigger.

There are many reliable platforms to select from.
    Don Verna

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    The FEG and FN HP have a straight safety . I can see where that "dog leg" would cause a situation with a thumb .

Sausage fingers ......pfft ..... Size 10 pinkie the other 3 and thumb share a size 14 and a 1911 is all but too far around . Bone dead thin OM grip panels are the only answer on the FEG version HP .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .