Titan ReloadingSnyders JerkyLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Reloading EverythingRotoMetals2RepackboxWideners
Inline Fabrication Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Bevel base pistol bullet opinions.

Boolit Master
    The only thing I didn't like about the BB is the grease ring at the BB. A star sizer cured that. They do load into a case easier than a flat base without a large mouth bell.

Boolit Grand Master

My opinion is, I don't like bevel base bullets. Part of the reason is that I spent most of my casting life using a Lyman 450 sizer and I didn't like having lube on the base of the bullet. I've never compared the difference in accuracy between bevel and flat base.

Boolit Master
    I too started with a Lyman sizer, bought M dies and the like for loading square based bullets. Now that I have a Star sizer I still think Bevel Based bullets are an evil perversion. I'll go further and say NLG bullets are soulless and without character and any change is bad. LOL
    Mal

Mal Paso means Bad Pass, just so you know.

All i shoot these days is 200 lswc bb & 3.8 Bullseye in Starline. WLP

When i dug the flat base 45 acp target bullet loads out of the berm, the base was no longer flat.

The lands had pushed the lead towards the base of the bullets. The bullets were sized to .452" diameter. Perfect for my Colt GC series 70s groove diameter.

These bumps formed on the base dont appear on the BB bullets. Same diameter.
    I never test bullet BHN, may have something to do with lead movement.

This is how i remember it from years ago. Needs testing today. Have same gun and molds.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 243winxb View Post
    When i dug the flat base 45 acp target bullet loads out of the berm, the base was no longer flat.

The lands had pushed the lead towards the base of the bullets. The bullets were sized to .452" diameter. Perfect for my Colt GC series 70s groove diameter.

These bumps formed on the base dont appear on the BB bullets. Same diameter.

I never test bullet BHN, may have something to do with lead movement.

This is how i remember it from years ago. Needs testing today. Have same gun and molds.
    Interesting. I think I have seen a similar thing before, never really thought about it from that perspective.
    Got a good PC on these and ran a few through the sizer, they look great. Looking forward to shooting a few.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PC 10mm 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	300738

Name:	10mm PC 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	300739

I think the amount of bevel makes a big difference. Some of the commercial magma type bevel base bullets have a lot of bevel and I have had accuracy and or leading problems with those especially in 357 caliber. I resorted to coating them with Lee Alox over the useless commercial lube to use them . A slight bevel like the Lyman moulds probably is fine . Brian Pearce of Handloader mag recommends keeping the commercial bevel base bullets below about 900 fps as I remember .

Quote Originally Posted by Manns50 View Post
    Interesting. I think I have seen a similar thing before, never really thought about it from that perspective.
    Got a good PC on these and ran a few through the sizer, they look great. Looking forward to shooting a few.

Name:	PC 10mm 1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	25.5 KB 
ID:	300738

Name:	10mm PC 2.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	39.0 KB 
ID:	300739
    Nice blue color. To* beautiful to shoot.
    Last edited by 243winxb; 06-09-2022 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Spelling*

Boolit Master
    I have pretty normal bevel and flat based molds and have never been able to discern a meaningful difference. I prefer bevels when seating, but the most accurate loads don't seem to be correlated with the base. Which makes sense, in jacketed applications both boat tail and flat base bullets are used to great effect. I suspect that other factors like quality of mold fillout, flashing, or damage to the bottom edge are far more important.

I powdercoat. Maybe it matters more with traditional lube.
    I'm a big fan of data-driven decisions. You want to make me smile, show me a spreadsheet! Extra points for graphs and best-fit predictive equations.

Boolit Grand Master
    I had Buckshot flycut the BB off of a couple of LEE six cavity molds.

Shiloh
    Je suis Charlie

"A society of sheep must in time beget a government of wolves."
    Bertrand de Jouvenel

“Any government that does not trust its citizens with firearms is either a tyranny, or planning to become one.” – Joseph P. Martino

“If you put the federal government in charge of the Sahara Desert , in five years there would be a shortage of sand.” – Milton Friedman

"Ideas are more powerful than guns. We would not let our enemies have guns; why should we let them have ideas?" - J. Stalin

Bevel are harder to cull bad bases than flat base. Bevel seats easier. Accuracy is shooter dependent. My pistols are SD so I don't care, used at less than 20 yds anyway.
    Whatever!

Super Moderator

I use the RCBS 45-185-BB in my 1911's and S&W model 25's. I find that it's a very accurate design, and I really like it a lot. Here's what I do to overcome the lube spillage problem in my LAM2. I sharpen the mouth of a 45 cartridge case with a chamfer tool, then cut some disks out of the top of a styrofoam egg carton. I place the disks on top of the LAM2 plunger, and the foam will then conform to the bevel on the boolit base. I can get at least a couple hundred boolits done this way before I have to replace the disk. Works for me...and no, I don't powder coat anything.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12