Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionSnyders Jerky
WidenersTitan ReloadingRepackboxReloading Everything
Load Data MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Hodgdon H-5010 uses

Hodgdon H-5010 uses

Hello all,

I have two eight pound jugs of H-5010, in my notes I have written down from Hodgdon tech line 3006 300wm 8mm Mauser fill case seat bullet till bullet gets pushed back out over night, then back it down .5 gr load and crimp for slower velocities than normal round would produce. Last time I spoke to Hodgdon they said they only offer data in the load manuals. 3006 would be 147/152 fmj, 300wm would be 180 sp, and 8mm Mauser would be 176-225 fmj. Can some of you folks give your input please.

Thank You in advance Scooby

(Edit) I have read a lot of posts most of which are from around 2008 ironically that is when I purchased this powder.
    Last edited by Scooby; 05-26-2022 at 02:03 PM.

You may want to search this site for loading suggestions for IMR 5010 and those cartridges. Three suggestions: (1) Use LR magnum primers with 5010. (2) Start with 48gr. in the '06 and correspondingly less in the 8 x 57mm cartridge. (3) Consider using bran fiber (e.g., Quaker brand) for a filler to create compression and a cleaner burn with 5010: You won't need much to do so, say ~1cc for the '06 and ~0.5cc for the 8 x 57. If you have an electric coffee grinder, you can reduce the bran into a coarse powder for this purpose. Be sure to store the loaded rounds with the bases/primers facing you so the filler doesn't migrate into that coarse powder. One last thing: Most powder measures have trouble dispensing consistent charge weights of 5010, but Lee Dippers work wonderfully with it and are much faster than using a powder measure.

Hope this helps!

Boolit Master
    I use it for duplex loads and cast boolits. I start with a case full to the shoulder/neck area and shoot a couple. Normal results are a very poor burn with low velocities and pressure. Next I reduce the 5010 three grs and replace with a slow pistol powder such as AA9. over the primer and then the 5010. This will clean up the burn a bit but usually still have rounded primers and a poor burn. I keep reducing the 5010 and increasing the pistol powder until the burn cleans up or the primers start to fill out. Check velocity at this point to see if you want to continue. 5010 is too slow for just about any normal rifle round by it self. With a careful work up it does well in bigger cases and heavy boolita.

I have AA#9 and WC820, Has anyone ever tried this powder in 3030? I've read where guys use it in 45/70. I am defiantly going to work up loads for the 3006, I have a Thompson Center Compass I bought when they had the rebate and have now since dried up. I also have a bubba-ed 98 Mauser (8mm) with a scope on it I want to load this powder for.