Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionInline Fabrication
RepackboxReloading EverythingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2

Thread: Magnum Collet Die

Boolit Master

Magnum Collet Die

Just purchased a Innovated Tech.collet die for my 270 Wby Mag.I certainly had the bulge at the base which prevented easy loading and it did size all the way down to the web.For those who have and use this die does the brass get more uniform the more you use this die as its still kinda tight? Also on mag calibers are you only neck sizing vs full length and then using this die?

Boolit Master

I have laoded for a couple of belted magnum calibers for years. I always set up the dies to full length resize and headspace off the shoulder with a 0.001-0.002" shoulder bump. I usually loaded at the top end, but for accuracy. I personally have never had a problem with the case bulging ahead of the belt and causing sticky chambering. i can see where that could happen depending on chamber and die tolerances, but has never been a problem for me.

If I was needing to use the innovated tech die, I would use it FIRST. and then full length resize to bunp the shoulder SECOND.

When you squeeze the body with the collet die, you will lengthen the case and base to shoulder dimension. That is why you should full length resize second.

No personal experience with your die, but I would expect that if you need to use the collet die, then you would need to use it each and every time.

I don't neck size any more on any calibers. I see no benefit in my situations. I full length resize to bump the shoulder about 0.001" from the fired dimensions each and every time and anneal occasionally.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by BK7saum View Post
    I have laoded for a couple of belted magnum calibers for years. I always set up the dies to full length resize and headspace off the shoulder with a 0.001-0.002" shoulder bump. I usually loaded at the top end, but for accuracy. I personally have never had a problem with the case bulging ahead of the belt and causing sticky chambering. i can see where that could happen depending on chamber and die tolerances, but has never been a problem for me.

If I was needing to use the innovated tech die, I would use it FIRST. and then full length resize to bunp the shoulder SECOND.

When you squeeze the body with the collet die, you will lengthen the case and base to shoulder dimension. That is why you should full length resize second.

No personal experience with your die, but I would expect that if you need to use the collet die, then you would need to use it each and every time.

I don't neck size any more on any calibers. I see no benefit in my situations. I full length resize to bump the shoulder about 0.001" from the fired dimensions each and every time and anneal occasionally.
    Larry per his instructions says to FL size first but im thinking your right.