RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationSnyders JerkyWideners
Load Data Lee Precision

Thread: Bridgeport (BGI CO.) 44 Winchester Mold

Bridgeport (BGI CO.) 44 Winchester Mold

I finally picked up a bullet mold that directly replicated Winchester’s original 44 WCF lead bullet. I have been watching out for an original Winchester mold but they are few and far between.

This Bridgeport mold is of the same design as Winchester, cira 1882 4th model design, but does NOT incorporate the raised driving band as the 4th model as well as the Lyman designs.

The lead bullet drops at .424" @ 208gr. Looks exactly like Winchester’s 200gr lead bullet design.

Forum says I have exceeded my picture quota so Information can be seen on the website. I tried to post a direct photo link but it says invalid file. Oh well...I tried.

Bridgeport Mold - https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...t-bullet-molds

Winchester 4th Model Mold - https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...r-bullet-molds

Boolit Grand Master
    Congrats! Are you actually loading ammo with bullets from that mould? If so, .424” diam may be a little skinny. Although soft (pure) lead is commonly used with these, especially with BP loadings, I’d be tempted to add a pinch of tin to the mix to grow the bullets a little.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master
    Good deal! I'm glad to see you were able to get usable slugs out of that mold.

A lot of the older guns are on the tight side; my 44-40 Colt from 1904 slugs around .425 - I expect the manufactured bore sizes grew over the years for whatever reason.
    Last edited by HWooldridge; 05-25-2022 at 12:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Congrats! Are you actually loading ammo with bullets from that mould? If so, .424” diam may be a little skinny. Although soft (pure) lead is commonly used with these, especially with BP loadings, I’d be tempted to add a pinch of tin to the mix to grow the bullets a little.

Froggie
    Yes Sir, I also have that information on the website here: https://sites.google.com/view/44winc...g-introduction

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post

Froggie
    I do plan on testing some of these loads in the PressuretraceII and compare the pressures with the larger .428" bullets using the same charges. The "testing barrel" bore, however, is .429". I did test some Winchester .4255" JSP bullets and the pressures were much lower than larger Speer .429" diameter JSP bullets....again using a .429" bore. Accuracy for the smaller .4255" JSP were much the same as the larger .429" JSP bullets by Speer....the 4425 SJHP to be exact. Same bullet listed in Lyman's 49th for such loads.