Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad Data
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackboxInline Fabrication
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Powder coat problems

Powder coat problems, ruined my powder?

So, I left my powder in my trunk, in sealed plastic bottles for about 2 weeks. During that time my trunk either leaked during some heavy storms we had. It was also fairly hot, in the 90s, so pretty hot in the trunk wondering if it tried to bake. The powder was almost solid and in chunks. I shook it up good and broke things up. However the powder is just clumping really badly and acting kind of fluffy.

Did I ruin my powder? did it get too hot for too long? is is moisture? can I dry it out and save it? Or am I toast and just need to toss it and buy more (I really don't want to spend $40 to replace the powder I have)

Thanks.
    Last edited by Shadow9mm; 05-24-2022 at 07:44 PM.

Boolit Master

Sealed plastic bottles would seem to eliminate moisture as the culprit. My money is you have partially cooked your powder and I have no idea if you can rescue your powder or not.

Since I have an assortment of both ribbed and smooth walled tumbler drums, I would try beating it back into a powdered state by tumbling in the smooth drum with some large ball bearing agitators or raw lead bullets. Pretty much the same method folks would use for DIY black powder manufacture.

You could try grinding it up in one of those hand operated agitator type flour sifters. They are pretty cheap and I have seen a few at Goodwill stores.
    https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sto...e=e&network=s&
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master

do you shake and bake?

wonder if just putting the powder in with the bullets and then swirl and shake would break them up? Maybe get enough powder back in powder form to coat the bullets.

Then each time you would get a bit more as you do loads of bullets
    NRA Life
    USPSA L1314
    SASS Life 48747
    RVN/Cambodia War Games, 2nd Place

Quote Originally Posted by Walter Laich View Post
    do you shake and bake?

wonder if just putting the powder in with the bullets and then swirl and shake would break them up? Maybe get enough powder back in powder form to coat the bullets.

Then each time you would get a bit more as you do loads of bullets
    I tried powder coating some bullets. lumpy and clumpy, kind of looks like kinetic sand. Shook them twice as hard twice as long as normal. Had to wash my bullets off.

Boolit Master

Experienced the same thing back when I first began PC. The combination of high heat/humidity will turn powder into a fair imitation of a cinder block...even in what appears to be a closed container. (In my case, powder was Smoke's Black, double-bagged in a closed Cool-Whip tub.) Only thing that might work to save what you have is to re-powder it using a mortar and pestle...very labor intensive and time consuming...otherwise, it's a lost cause. I now store mine, along with a dessicant pouch, in mason jars with rubber gaskets. Haven't lost a bit since I switched to this method.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Buddy
    A small coffee grinder will powder it in a few seconds. Just do it outside.

Quote Originally Posted by lavenatti View Post
    A small coffee grinder will powder it in a few seconds. Just do it outside.
    +1 on this. Try one of the spice/nut choppers that looks like a small food processor. As the old saying goes, "Nothing ventured, nothing gained."
    A vote for anyone other then the conservative candidates is a vote for the liberal candidates.