WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Reloading EverythingRepackboxRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Snyders Jerky Inline Fabrication

Thread: Krag peep sights

Krag peep sights

I learned of something called the "Pacific" peep sight for US Krags which fits into the magazine cutoff lever area and doesn't require drilling and tapping. Does anybody know where to find these things? S&S section?

They appear from time to time on e-bay. Go there and do a search for "Krag", "Krag parts", or Krag rifle sights." The last several I purchased ran around $110. Your are referring to the "no gunsmithing" sights which attach as you've described, with a small metal tab that inserts in the magazine cutoff lever hole and with the side plate screw. However, they usually came with a longer screw than the original issue to compensate for the thickness of the sight, and it's uncommon (but not impossible) to get the special screw with the sight. Be sure to ask the seller if he has and includes this screw in the sale. These sights were produced by several manufacturers to include Lyman, Redfield, Pacific, etc., and most went out of production in the 1950s. Those that you find for sale have usually come off of rifles that are being parted out for sale by dealers who find the sum total value of the parts in excess of the value of a completed rifle. That being the case, that they are not Krag fans, they are unaware of the value/application of the screw. These sights were also made for the Norwegian version of the Krag, but don't interchange to the U.S. Krag. Here's are photos of what you're looking for:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006759.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	300549 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM006761.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	26.2 KB 
ID:	300550

If you are successful in locating a sight but not a screw contact me and I can suggest a replacement screw with a slightly different thread that can be made to work. The thread pitch and TPI escapes me right now, but I have notes....somewhere.

DG

Boolit Master
    The Redfield 102K peep sight can be found fairly often on EBay.Often without the retaining screw.I believe a front sling swivel screw from an 03 Springfield has the same thread and can be shortened and used as a replacement.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007141.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	44.2 KB 
ID:	300553 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IM007139.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	37.4 KB 
ID:	300554
    Click to enlarge.

DG

Boolit Master
    Thank you for the 03 swivel screw tip!

Boolit Master
    Yeah, the '03 barrel band screw does work.

I've used a couple old Pacific no-drill sights on Krags and they work very well for a set-and-forget hunting sight. I wish it were still made. I've also used a couple Redfield 102 no-drill sights and they are definitely a step up. But, if you want the Cadillac of Krag rear sights seek out a Lyman 48K. It does require d/t'ing and usually a slight modification of the rear corner of the magazine side plate so as such isn't maybe your best bet for an unaltered rifle which you wish to keep in original condition, but it is a wonderful sight with excellent repeatability of adjustments.

Don't ignore the old Rice sight which was a simple aperture mounted on top of the bolt sleeve. A bit crude but again a decent sight for hunting.

Boolit Master
    Redfield also made a no drill that was click adjustable for windage and elevation, believe the model was 70K.

Boolit Master
    I just saw a cut down Krag at SimpsonLtd site, that has some sort of receiver sight on it, check it out, stuff on their site can sell fast.

Boolit Bub
    Anyone know who made a peep sight for the Krag that could be removed by pushing a button, if I remember correctly, for easy bolt removal without loosing elevation setting?

Boolit Master
    Both Redfield and Lyman made sights like that. For the no drill types Redfield did not make one for the Krag, not sure about Lyman. If you are talking one that needed drilling and tapping they may have made one that fit. The Redfield was a model 80 IIRC, not sure of the Lyman model number.

Boolit Buddy
    I think this is a Pacific rear and front (band style)
    The rear is a simple remove the cut-off.
    The new rear sight has a rod that replaces the cut-off shaft that goes forward into the magazine box.
    That rod is shaped just as the real cut-off shaft is and is positioned as it would be if the cut-off was in the 'OFF' position (magazine feeding the rounds).

A small set screw locks the sight/w rodin place.
    Click elevation and windage adjustments.

This type has a screw knob detachable method. So if you want to remove the bolt, you have to remove the sight to have room for the extractor to lift and turn over. Not the push button QD like a Lyman,,but it works well enough and goes right back into position on the base.

This sight and the banded front ramp which I believe is also a Pacific though neither is marked came on a sorry looking sporter in a Fajen montecarlo stock.
    The sights were the draw for me. I used the Fajen wood, there was plenty of it! to make a decent sporter of it.
    It needed some engraving of course and a Gold inlayed SAFE and FIRE,,don't they all??

Nice looking rifle, 2152hq. Those little touches of engraving are very attractive.

DG

2152hq.
    Agree. quite some eye candy. Love the tasteful engraving. Anybody doing that anymore?

Banned
    not me, but it is nice.