Inline FabricationLoad DataMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
RotoMetals2WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Repackbox Reloading Everything

Thread: Need help identifying Iver Johnson 5-shot 38S&W revolver

Boolit Mold

Need help identifying Iver Johnson 5-shot 38S&W revolver

My uncle recently gave me an old Iver Johnson 5-shot revolver that had belonged to my great grandmother. The only markings on it are a "626" on the bottom of the grip frame and "IVER JOHNSON'S ARMS & CYCLE WORKS. FITCHBURG MASS. U.S.A. PAT'D APR. 6. 86. FEB. 15. 87. MAY 10. 87. DEC. 26. 93. PAT'S PENDING".
    The owls on the grip are facing the cylinder.

Any help in identifying manufacture date, black powder vs smokeless, etc. would be appreciated.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ijr_1.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	31.6 KB 
ID:	300543Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ijr_2.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	98.3 KB 
ID:	300544Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ijr_3.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	52.2 KB 
ID:	300545Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ijr_4.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	49.3 KB 
ID:	300546Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ijr_5.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	48.1 KB 
ID:	300547

Hi squidbert, welcome to the Castboolits Forum! You'll like it here, lots of great, knowledgeable folks--and most of them are friendly! Thanks for the great photos with your question. Photos make posts much more enjoyable and identification easier.

I believe you have an Iver Johnson Safety Hammer Double Action, manufactured in .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W from 1892 until 1950. Seems like a low serial number, so early production. If shoot it you must, I'd suggest reduced loads to start, then maybe work up a little depending on how the brass looks and the gun responds.

DG

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Der Gebirgsjager View Post
    Hi squidbert, welcome to the Castboolits Forum! You'll like it here, lots of great, knowledgeable folks--and most of them are friendly! Thanks for the great photos with your question. Photos make posts much more enjoyable and identification easier.

I believe you have an Iver Johnson Safety Hammer Double Action, manufactured in .32 S&W Long and .38 S&W from 1892 until 1950. Seems like a low serial number, so early production. If shoot it you must, I'd suggest reduced loads to start, then maybe work up a little depending on how the brass looks and the gun responds.

DG
    Based on the age I was going to go at the bottom end of my reloading guide for .38 S&W with the lowest pressure powder. Is it a black powder or smokeless pistol? I read on another forum that if the owls were facing the cylinder it was a BP pistol.

I do not know, but based on the low number I'd guess black powder.

DG

Boolit Grand Master
    I believe that is a second model automatic safety revolver made between ~1894 to 1909. I have read that the two pins holding the trigger and trigger guard signify black powder, but given that these were made well into the smokeless era, I am not sure if I buy that or not. Hopefully someone who has one of the W. E. Goforth Books can enlighten us. For a paltrey 99.95 you can order one off Amazon, but I can't justify that on my budget.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

That's a black powder gun.

Owl facing forward is one sign, but grips can be changed. The cylinder stops only having one solid side and the leaf spring, not a coil spring, are two positive signs it's not a smokeless powder gun.

Boolit Master

Go low on any break top revolver is the best policy. Most are antiques or just after the turn of 1900. Please do not wreck one.