Inline FabricationRepackboxTitan ReloadingLee Precision
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyLoad DataRotoMetals2
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Still cheaper to reload

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by John Guedry View Post
    Some of us remember nickel cokes.
    Yeah, but you only got 6 or 8 ounces for a nickel. Remember when news of cane crop failure in Cuba caused local store to raise the cost a penny on each bottle. At that time there was a now defunct brand of cola that was 10 ounces, can't remember the name of it, but it only lasted 2-3 years. When Coke went to 10 ounces it disappeared.
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

If you don't shoot much, reloading never pays off. But my poor teenage self could afford to shoot a lot- thanks to reloading.
    I shoot 38-55 and 44-40 a lot. I've still never seen a box of factory ammo for either cartridge at the LGS. And if i do, it will be quite costly. My father had a .218 Bee Marlin. The last box of factory ammo for it that he bought was $60+. Please show me how reloading for the .218 Bee doesn't save money!
    The only centerfire factory ammo that I ever buy is an occasional box of Serbian 9mm to plink with.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Does golf save money?

Does any DIY hobby save bucks?

Does shooting save money?

Most all of us have a diversion or two, pick them and enjoy. You only live once, chose wisely and do not spend much time looking in the rear view mirror of life.

Handloading is a hobby, if you like it enjoy it, if not sell your stuff to someone who does and try something else.

Myself? I love it!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Very few reloaders get their brass for free, and few also get their lead for nearly free.

You have to remember that most people on this forum are retired hoarders who have tons of brass and lead stored up.

Most reloaders use purchased lead and brass, or those darn J-words.
    If I was a snowflake, I would resent the word "hoarders", but I know you are using it with respect and admiration...LOL.

I have .22's labelled at $8.95/brick, Promo at $68/8#, $16/k primers, Linotype bought 50 years ago etc etc. But I base cost of reloads on current pricing. I am realistic so replacement cost gives a true cost of shooting.

With current cost of components, I reload for less than buying factory ammunition. For example, using powder at $300/jug, primers at $120/k and home made cast bullets at $30/k I am under $10/box. If I used jacketed bullets I would be at $12.50. Best price on factory 9mm is about $16/box.
    Don Verna

Boolit Buddy
    Being component prepared does not make one a hoarder no more than a 6 month emergency money fund does. I may have enough components to last my lifetime, that being the goal.
    I had more than one person bumming me for .270 and .243 as the season approached. They were not prepared. I will not reload for another.

Lack of preparation on your part does not create an emergency on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by ulav8r View Post
    . At that time there was a now defunct brand of cola that was 10 ounces, can't remember the name of it, but it only lasted 2-3 years. When Coke went to 10 ounces it disappeared.
    My guess is RC Cola.
    It was around for quite awhile, but I think it's gone now.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    I wouldn't mind an rc cola right about now, but ive just about given up drinking fizzy pop.
    there is no need to buy loaded ammo if you reload. lot of good points made here. but for me anyway, loading, casting, shooting is a hobby.
    some people get old cars and spend whatever time and money it takes to make them like new again, I reload ammo so I can shoot when ever and what ever calibers might tickle my fancy. an old gun with no ammo to shoot in it is just an over priced door stop.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by 1Papalote View Post
    Cheaper or not does not matter to me. Availability does matter. Components I "hoarded" years ago provide inexpensive reloads today. Plus, while some were searching for a box of 243 in the stores, I had 20 boxes waiting to be reloaded. Buy components when things become available again and never worry about what you shoot come hunting season. Plus prices will continue to rise. Some of us remember .10 coca-cola.
    I am old I remember .05 cent cokes!!!!!!!!I also remember gasoline war's you pay the state and fed. tax which wad .09 cents and fill up o for the good old days, bull I was making $.75 an hour and had a @
    $ 50 a mo. house payment , $25 a mo. car payment and still had to eat and utilities. I think I am in the good old days.
    Son and I counted our ammo and I will not live long enough and he might not, as reloading is my therapy calms the nerves and forget everything outside of the loading room. Cheaper than a Dr.
    Last edited by Freightman; 05-25-2022 at 03:43 PM.
    Frank G.

Boolit Master

Was not RC Cola. I think RC lasted longer.

PS From Wikipedia "RC Cola (short for Royal Crown Cola[1]) is an American brand of cola invented by Claud A. Hatcher in 1905."
    Spell check doesn't work in Chrome, so if something is spelled wrong, it's just a typo that I missed.

Boy... somtimes I can help but sit here and realize I'm about the only 20somthing year old person on this forum lol
    A wise man will try to learn as much from a fool as he will from a master, for all have something to teach- Uncle Iroh
    MS Army Guard 2016-2021

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Boy... somtimes I can help but sit here and realize I'm about the only 20somthing year old person on this forum lol
    Hey, having a youngin’ around helps us older ones feel a little younger!

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

RC Cola is at the store right now...

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Wolfdog91 View Post
    Yessir you are likely among the youngest. Enjoy your youth it only happens once. Glad you're here.

Boolit Grand Master

I do not reload for the sole purpose of saving money. I do it to tailor loads for my guns so they can achive their peak accuracy and performance. It could cost me MORE to reload and I would still NOT shoot factory ammo.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Wolfdog91...fifty-five (55) posts (so far) and if you add up the MILLENIA (in Years of Experience) of the Members on this thread alone it wouldn't surprise us at all. This is a "well storied" group of like-minded individuals who are free with their opinions, generous with their advice, and care deeply for safety and attention to detail in one of the best (imho) rehabilitative recreational activities on this Planet.

Thank God this is America, our forefathers chartered a Constitution, and its Bill of Rights has a 2nd Amendment!!!!! Also, thank God for the sacrifices of our brothers and sisters in arms for their gift of Freedom to exercise our rights.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

3V cola? It was around here in the 60's and 70's.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Three44s View Post
    Does golf save money?

Does any DIY hobby save bucks?

Does shooting save money?

Most all of us have a diversion or two, pick them and enjoy. You only live once, chose wisely and do not spend much time looking in the rear view mirror of life.

Handloading is a hobby, if you like it enjoy it, if not sell your stuff to someone who does and try something else.

Myself? I love it!

Three44s
    I never got into shotshell reloading because it was hard to do it cheaper than a 5$ box of 25 shells.. now though.. it's actually viable..

To continue drifting; do you remember Jolt Cola- "All the sugar and twice the caffeine! "
    - as the ad said. It showed up when Coca- Cola discontinued original Coke for New Coke. After a bit they reintroduced "Coca- Cola Classic."- and it's still selling big time.
    Back to reloading now

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Jolt Cola the firehouse favorite in the 80's

Boolit Master

May have been Mr Pibb, but don't really think so.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast