RepackboxMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Load Data

Thread: Dan Wesson 32-20

Boolit Man

Dan Wesson 32-20

I usually don't post on CB; I use the site to learn but I have to share my recent acquisition. Been looking for a stainless DW from the Monson MASS plant, in 32-20, for several years... Three chambers gauged at .313" and the remaining at .312"(minus pin gauge set). Bore slugged at .3115". Of course, I only have a .312" Star sizer die so I'll have to order a .314" from Chris.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	732-20 Slug low res.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	50.9 KB 
ID:	300502 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	732-20 whole low res.jpg 
Views:	39 
Size:	44.1 KB 
ID:	300503
    CSM(R) 1983-2013

Boolit Grand Master

Good Morning
    Nice DW ! They are not easy to come up with.
    One thing I will write our's (blue) shoots the 115 grain area better than the lighter slugs.
    "Come unto Me, all you who labor and are heavy burdened, and I will give you rest." Matthew 11:28
    Male Guanaco out in dry lakebed at 10,800 feet south of Arequipa.

Boolit Master
    WOW!!!!!!!!!!! NICE score!

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by missionary5155 View Post
    One thing I will write our's (blue) shoots the 115 grain area better than the lighter slugs.
    I have a few different moulds and I think one of them throws just over 100 gr. I'll experiment- thanks for the info.
    CSM(R) 1983-2013

Boolit Grand Master
    That is only the second one I have ever seen--even in pictures. Congratulations on your new acquisition. I want to see how it shoots.
    My own older Colts and Smith like the RCBS 32-98 SWC over 3.0 grains of BE or 3.5 grains of 231.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nice find. That is indeed deserving of the title, “Unicorn of Dan Wessons”. Word on the street is you can have your chambers “evened up” by dougguy who now does this process by honing. My current 32-20 of choice is the Ruger Buckeye Special Blackhawk with 32-20 & 32 H&R cylinders and I really like the Ideal 3118/311008 bullet design which runs about 115-118 grains. It’s been tested for about 150 years and seems like it works pretty well.

I also plan to also try one or more of the SWCs that run about 105 grains. Some folks on this forum speak pretty highly of them.

Froggie
    "It aint easy being green!"

Boolit Master

I have a similar model, 6" in 32 H&R, bought new. It is heavy for a 32, and I have considered rechambering to the 327 case for field use. Loads would be top end for the 32-20, but in the straight case 327. The small bore DWs are seldom seen these days.

Boolit Master

Very nice. Congratulations!
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Man

Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    I have a similar model, 6" in 32 H&R, bought new. It is heavy for a 32, and I have considered rechambering to the 327 case for field use. Loads would be top end for the 32-20, but in the straight case 327. The small bore DWs are seldom seen these days.
    I wouldn't bore the .32 cylinder- see if DW has another.... as you know the .32s are far and few between as well.
    I have many DWs including blued and stainless in 22mag, 32mag, and 32-20. My goal was to have one blued and one stainless of each (regular production) caliber DW produced from the Monson plant. I'm only lacking a model 708 or 709 (.38 stainless- not a "Little Dan").
    CSM(R) 1983-2013

Boolit Master

Very cool.......
    JMHO-YMMV
    dd884
    gary@2texastrucks.com
    Gary D. Peek

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by rwsem View Post
    I wouldn't bore the .32 cylinder- see if DW has another.... as you know the .32s are far and few between as well.
    I have many DWs including blued and stainless in 22mag, 32mag, and 32-20. My goal was to have one blued and one stainless of each (regular production) caliber DW produced from the Monson plant. I'm only lacking a model 708 or 709 (.38 stainless- not a "Little Dan").
    Of course, that would be best, but I thought such parts were long unavailable. Worth another call, though.

Boolit Grand Master
    Definitely scarce!!! Also the only second one I have seen, also only pictures. Used to shoot them in .22lr (single action only) and .445 SM. Wish I still had my .357 SM!!

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Nueces View Post
    Folks tell me my Ruger Blackhawks in 32 H&R and 327 FM are heavier than I need for their caliber. I just smile and keep enjoying a mild recoiling revolver that is safe to shoot anything you can easily pack in their respective rounds. Yep, they're just way too heavy!

Froggie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    Folks tell me my Ruger Blackhawks in 32 H&R and 327 FM are heavier than I need for their caliber. I just smile and keep enjoying a mild recoiling revolver that is safe to shoot anything you can easily pack in their respective rounds. Yep, they're just way too heavy!

Froggie
    Yeah, that's my idea. The 'big' DW would make a good handling 327.

Another mod I'm set up for is a new fast twist barrel from a Brit 303 Enfield. Some years ago, I bought a pair of cutoff 303 barrels from some Canadians who had abandoned their stub double idea. Bores are new and mike 0.314, perfect for the 0.315 throats of the DW. I like how flexible the DW platform is for exploring reversible mods like this.

Boolit Grand Master
    This thread needs a “LIKE” button. Your rebarrel project for a DW sounds great, and not that difficult to accomplish. How about more posts as you do it?
    Froggie

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Green Frog View Post
    This thread needs a “LIKE” button. Your rebarrel project for a DW sounds great, and not that difficult to accomplish. How about more posts as you do it?
    Froggie
    I have enjoyed your posts on putting together your own modern 32s and I appreciate your interest in my project. It could yet be a while before I can address the lathe. As Roseanne Rosannadanna used to say, "If it ain't sumthin, it's sumthin else." Latest wicket has been a new TAVR aortic heart valve, put in less than two weeks ago. I'm doing well. Next is a prostate biopsy this Friday, then whatever's next.

Boolit Grand Master
    Hang in there, Nueces. I've discovered that Old Age is not for the faint of heart! Just keep on keeping on... it's all we can do.

Froggie