Snyders JerkyLoad DataWidenersTitan Reloading
Inline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Repackbox
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Cheap Import Quick Change Tool Post Differences?

Boolit Master

Cheap Import Quick Change Tool Post Differences?

After posting the question on a hobbyist machining site, thought I might have better luck here. Just bought a new-to-me 11”x26” Grizzly G9972Z lathe and want to add a QCTP. The respondents on other site only told me how great their Aloris, Phase III, DTM or other high end QCTP is and that’s what I should buy. Nobody answered the question. IMO, an Aloris on this lathe is lipstick on a pig. It’s not the lathe of my dreams but the price was right and I knew the owner. I’ve used the good ones and they’re great but I’m not spending that kind of money.

The toolpost WILL be an import AXA WEDGE type. My question is, “Are there any significant differences among the AXA wedge type imports?” In a price range of $125 to $250 they almost all look like they were made by the same Chinese factory. The oddly shaped knob is even the same on most. Some discussions say the tool holders from Precision Matthews adjust more precisely, like Aloris, and some brands have big radii on the inside corners. The last owner had a Bostar on it but kept it for his new lathe.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris

Boolit Master

Many years ago, the shop I worked for at the time bought several Phase II toolholder sets from Travers Tool Co. It's the wedge type, and is very repeatable. They saw a lot of hard use and held up well.

I have the G0602 10x22 and have a Shars import AXA wedge tool post on it. It has done everything i needed and it is very good quality considering what I paid for it.
    All the ones i have seen in person are about the same quality visually and in function.
    The post and holders used to be a good bit cheaper than they are today!

I've been using a shars wedge type BXA import the past 12 years. No issues so far and I'd buy another one if/when another lathe followed me home.

Boolit Master
    GONRA got Aloris tool post + assortment of holders decades ago when they first came out.
    Kept going with zillions of Wholesale Tool, etc. bit/bar holders.
    Even used a boring bar holder to make a "quick change" Hand Shaper/Slotter
    with 2 sizes Home Depot holy square extrusions and some 5/8 bar stock.

Yep - would get "last place" in any Model Engineering Show BUT
    its rigid as hell and verks great!

Boolit Master

I got one off Amazon a few years ago that has worked well. It was about $100.00.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by David2011 View Post
    After posting the question on a hobbyist machining site, thought I might have better luck here. Just bought a new-to-me 11”x26” Grizzly G9972Z lathe and want to add a QCTP. The respondents on other site only told me how great their Aloris, Phase III, DTM or other high end QCTP is and that’s what I should buy. Nobody answered the question. IMO, an Aloris on this lathe is lipstick on a pig. It’s not the lathe of my dreams but the price was right and I knew the owner. I’ve used the good ones and they’re great but I’m not spending that kind of money.

The toolpost WILL be an import AXA WEDGE type. My question is, “Are there any significant differences among the AXA wedge type imports?” In a price range of $125 to $250 they almost all look like they were made by the same Chinese factory. The oddly shaped knob is even the same on most. Some discussions say the tool holders from Precision Matthews adjust more precisely, like Aloris, and some brands have big radii on the inside corners. The last owner had a Bostar on it but kept it for his new lathe.
    This is the one I have on my Atlas TH42, and I've been very impressed with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002YPDQ4G I got my several years ago for about $130, and if I can ever manage to get my SB Heavy 10L refurbished, I'll be buying another for it. As Igor said, "of course, the price has gone up since then." It works as well as the Aloris on the lathe I used most at school.

Bill

I too was seduced by the inexpensive Chinesium set of tool holders. Thus far it has been good money spent, mine looks exactly like the set that Scrounge bought but got it from Accusize via Amazon.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Master
    i will NOT buy anything chinese , unless there is no other choice. i spent more money nd got an Aloris for my South Bend heavy 10

Boolit Master

The question is whether there is a significant difference among the cheap imports.

I’m glad that Aloris works well for those of you that have them. I’ve used them and already knew that they’re the industry standard. They’re also in the $1000.00 range for an AXA with a basic set of tool holders. I’m not spending that kind of money on a QCTP. Looks like the Shars has lots of fans.
    Sometimes life taps you on the shoulder and reminds you it's a one way street. Jim Morris