RepackboxWidenersLoad DataInline Fabrication
Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders Jerky RotoMetals2

Thread: Dillon RL550 Serial Number Location

Dillon RL550 Serial Number Location

I am going to refurb my Dillon RL550 Pre-1990 and would like to contact Dillon for replacement parts but have
    been unable to locate my original bill of sale from Dillon.

Could anyone please give me advise on where this number might be located?

Thanks,
    Nick/West Virginia

Boolit Master

Several years ago, I called Dillon about a replacement part for my old (1983 IIRC) RL450; when I started to read off the s/n, the service rep said something to the effect of "That's gotta be an old one. I've never seen a 450 with a serial number". I suggest that you call Dillon as your early RL550 might not be serial-numbered.

Bill
    "I'm not often right but I've never been wrong."

Jimmy Buffett
    "Scarlet Begonias"

Boolit Master

my two mid 80's RL450s have glued on serial number plates on the inside of the rear frame column (SNs 6956, 7631). I remain surprised they haven't fallen off yet, but then again I have never dunked them in lubricant or cleaners. Just saying your 550 may have once sported a serial number plate which has since fallen or been scraped off.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.” Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    ive always been told if you send your problematic Dillon press back to Dillon, they will make it like new and send it back to your no questions asked no receipt needed. kind ofd like the warranty vortex offers on scopes.

Thanks for the quick reply's guys. I did find the patent number stamped on the left side but I will call Dillon tomorrow and hopefully they will be able to provide me with the parts without sending the entire press back to them.

Boolit Buddy

gotcha beat on the 450, #2246 and the RL 1000s' #612 and 646. I dont remember seeing a 550 that had a serial # plate. I have another 450 that doesnt have a number, I think they quit serializing presses before the 550 came out. Its all good...

Send them the worn parts and let them figure it out?
    Give me something to believe in. Poison
    Arosmith What it takes
    A 12 step program

Boolit Master
    Years ago I took a photo of what I needed
    and sent an email and didn't talk to anyone. They sent the part at no charge.

Boolit Master
    I’ve sent my Dillon SDB in for servicing once and for replacement on cracked frames twice over nearly 30 years. The only numbers exchanged were addresses and RMA.

Boolit Buddy
    I purchased my RL550 used and it doesn’t have a serial number that I know of. I just emailed the part number I needed and a few days later they responded that it’s been shipped no charge of course.

Boolit Buddy
    Here is a link to manuals, scroll down to RL550B and download. Some of the part numbers may have changed, but the guys at Dillon will know what you need. You do not need a serial number. https://www.dillonprecision.com/manuals.html

^ +1

There are exploded views in the manual that have every part number you need to wright down before you pick up the phone.

Makes things very quick and easy vs telling them you need the “thingamajig that connects to the doohickey”. Not sure I have seen a serial number on any of my Dillon’s.

Not to mention even if your press is the first of the model series, they will send you the latest updated parts. If your old press had Delrin links, they will send you new ones with bronze bushed links vs sending new plastic bushings, for example.

Here's an update on my Dillon 550.

I had originally planned on updating the press to the new 550C by purchasing the press body for $160.
    Upon further research I found that the newer press link arms have "bleed holes" for the excess grease to escape.
    My old press does not have these holes and the additional cost of purchasing the link arms would have brought the
    cost within $200 of a brand new 550C.

I am ashamed to admit that I have never completely disassembled my press for lubing but after watching a few videos I did it
    and am quite happy with the results.

Dillon makes great long lasting equipment.

Nick/West Virginia

I picked up an older SDB 1983 model from a friend of mine. I sent it to Dillon for a $79.95 service/check out & lube job. They sent me a new SDB press @ no charge. They even included a new powder measure.
    Can't go wrong with a Dillon.
    "Hollow Points"-"From Those Who Care Enough To Send The Very Best"

I agree and I have never regretted spending the extra money for the press. I'll be calling today to get some replacement springs for my powder measures and some retainer spring clips for the lower pivot.

Boolit Master

East Arkansas where I55 & I40 come together and then split
    I emailed Dillon and asked the size of the hairpin clip on the primer tube. They
    Asked for my .ailing address. A few days later an envelope with said pins came
    In the mail.

Boolit Master

No Bull Lifetime Warranty is why I have 3 550s...just call 'em & they'll get it right, no questions asked
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Boolit Master
    Only the very early 450s had the serial plate on back throat of the frame. They quit attaching the plate before they got to the 450B.