MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackboxTitan Reloading
Reloading EverythingLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Lee Precision

Thread: longshot for reduced cast bullet loads in 475/500 linebaugh

Boolit Mold

longshot for reduced cast bullet loads in 475/500 linebaugh

while going through a few old issues of handloader, i came across hl #59 wherein brian pearce suggests using longshot in lieu of hs6, which along with proper sizing/alloy selection might reduce leading..

when talking to john linebaugh a while back, john mentioned that hs6 had a cooler burn.

interesting stuff to be sure - the question is two part:

-a. anybody use his suggested longshot loads for the 475 (yes, you will have to look up "bullets and brass" in hl59)?

-b. has longshot been tried for reduced load performance in the 500l?

Boolit Master
    No one is ever going to use my name to give credibility to load data, but…
    At low charges in .45ACP, Longshot made for some very hot brass. At higher charges, the brass wasn’t so hot.
    I looked into using Longshot in .357 Mag, and found it was generally discouraged. I came across a note once about the powder not performing well with a low case fill, and also not performing well at lower pressures. The low pressure comment may be a moot point for your cartridges, but look into the case fill - might be something there.
    I’d like to hear those big rounds go off with Loudshot!
    I could be wrong - it happens at least daily.

Boolit Buddy
    I have used a lot of Longshot but have always been wary of going too low with the loads. Hodgdon's RDC shows loads for Longshot in "Ruger Only" 45 Colt loads, but NOT for any bullet weight in standard pressure 45 Colt loads. Longshot loads in 480 Ruger start at around 33 kpsi. Another oddity of Longshot is that nearly all burn rate charts list it as quite slow, usually between Accurate #7 and #9, or between Blue Dot and 2400, but the charge weights place it much faster, more like Herco or Power Pistol. You should probably contact Hodgdon and see what they say.