Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Load Data
MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingWidenersInline Fabrication
Repackbox Lee Precision

Thread: S&w / alcan primers

S&w / alcan primers

Buddy of mine dropped off a pile o' primers. I've not seen these before. From what I can find on the internoodle they are mid 1970's made in a joint effort with Fiocchi. I'm gonna give them a shot and see how they do... Gosh these days I just can't even think about not giving them a go.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20220522_093955797.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	64.1 KB 
ID:	300434

As an edit, at the top of the primer cup it almost looked like a serrated edge, rather than the clean cut / stampings of the CCI I usually use. Noted that they seated harder than the norm as well- perhaps because of the rougher leading edge. The best news is they all did their job, no misfires. Might be the best part of 50 years old... but ...
    Last edited by beezapilot; 05-24-2022 at 01:07 PM.
    The essence of education is self reliance- T.H. White.

Currently seeking wood carving tools, wood planes, froes, scorps, spokeshaves... etc....

Boolit Buddy
    Near that little town in Eygpt or SW Wyoming, whichever
    Shot several K of them through my PPC target gun back in the 70s. Worked OK. That was back in the time when S&W was trying to be all things to all shooters. As a result they didn't do anything very well.

Boolit Master
    I have tens of thousands of primers from the 1970’s, all stored indoors, and all work just fine. I did offer to sell some pretty cheap to someone that is hurting for components and they passed due to age. Oh well.

Boolit Buddy
    Still have a few boxes of these left along with some Alcan primers. They've always worked fine. Got them along with 1k of Winchester large pistol rounded dome primers in the old yellow and red boxes. Still had the cupped primer seating inserts for my 1969 Rockchucker, so seating them was no problem. Old stuff still works if it's been stored correctly.

I know us old timers remember flat faced and domed primers, but seems like you never hear much about the domed any more. I guess they're pretty much all gone.

Great find on your S&W primers.

Boolit Buddy
    The only time I ever see domed primers is in old milsurp ammo.

Boolit Mold
    When I started reloading back in the early 70s with a Lee Hand Loader, the only primers available in the small town that I lived in were the S&W/Alcan primers for 99 cents per hundred. Worked well but awfully slow. I remember my hand aching after pounding those 38 cases in and out of that die with a wooden mallet.