Titan ReloadingRepackboxLoad DataInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: 30 Super Carry with Hand Loaded Cast Boolits

Boolit Master
    BC17A, sorry for the delay.
    The Shield EZ barrel and chamber are great. No problems there. It’s got a little bit, estimate 1/16” freebore before the leade into the rifling starts. I haven’t tried loading any jacketed yet and may not get there.

When I get back to loading for it again I’m thinking I’ll either use a 77 gr TC I bought for 32acp or the 105 RF I bought for 32 SWL. I’m very happy with my big old 177 out of the case wadcutter. But I’ll try to branch out a little.

Someone asked about a fireball. I haven’t seen any from mine. I have shot it some at an indoor range but didn’t see any fireball. I just shot a 4 inch 44 Magnum at that indoor range with 28 gr 300mp and a 215 gr boolit. That was a fireball I could see!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Sounds like S&W did right by both the Plus and EZ in 30SC using a decent reamer for the chambers. I'm going to work up more loads for the Lee 311-100 boolit this week using some Alliant powders since there's no point in waiting for data. I emailed them a few weeks ago to inquire about load data and this is their response. "I’m confident the lab is working on that. But at this time it is still not available. As to when it will be out, I could not tell you at this time".

As for muzzle flash, I didn't notice any with all of the powders I was using, CFE-Pistol, Autocomp, True Blue, WST, Longshot and Accurate #7. The last time out I did manage to test a few AA#9 loads using the 100XTP. Seated to 1.165" I could only squeeze in a max of 8.2 grains and they were mediocre at best only reaching 1114fps and leaving a lot of unburned powder in the barrel. I'll give them one more go using magnum primers but don't think there will be much improvement.

Made it to the range again yesterday to test more LS loads with the 100XTP. This time I decided to remove any possible errors from my process and borrowed a friend's powder scale and chronograph. Though I have a new pound of LS I continued using the original pound since it's given me very consistent velocities matching data for 9mm, 10mm, 40cal and 500 Mag. After this test, I came to the conclusion that max load for LS/100XTP in 30SC is 5.6gn. I called Hodgdon last week and the guy I spoke with didn't seem to concerned with their data as it stands. I sent him the pics of my creased brass and he did email back and say they're going to use an employee's 30SC gun to see what kind of velocities they get compared to their test barrels. Haven't heard back yet so we'll see.

Hornady 100XTP, 5.6gn Longshot, Federal 205, Fed Brass (once fired), 1.090" OAL
    1277 FPS.

Hornady 100XTP, 5.7gn Longshot, Federal 205, Fed Brass (once fired), 1.090" OAL
    1290 FPS.

Hornady 100XTP, 5.8gn Longshot, Federal 205, Fed Brass (once fired), 1.090" OAL
    1299 FPS. This load is just starting to show a slight crease on the brass.

****edit 2/2/2023****

Decided to load and test more Longshot today with a new pound I bought last year. Old powder lot was dated 2018 and this new lot 2021. Both lots tested nearly identical. 3 different charges and none more than 4fps difference in average velocities. I'm convinced that Hodgdon's Longshot data in the 30 Super Carry is well over maximum and caution be used with their data.
    Last edited by BC17A; 02-02-2023 at 05:43 PM.

Boolit Master
    BC17A.
    I have some Long Shot and had good results with it in 40 S&W and 10mm. Not surprised it works in 30 SC.

That’s pretty impressive getting close to 1300 fps with a jacketed 100 gr hp in that short little barrel. That the power of high pressure! This is a huge step above 32acp! It’s like stepping up to 35 caliber!

Gotta say though when you go to 50,000 psi in a pistol, brass flows, cases deform and primers flow. The actions on these little Smiths aren’t stable as a ‘98 Mauser. We’re not playing with a huge amount of steel around the chamber like on a 30’06. I’m surprised these little Smith’s can do it!

Boolit Grand Master
    Mostly a function of how much brass is exposed. The gun communicates when things are going wrong, so that is helpful if you load prudently.

Range day again today. Recorded some good baseline 30SC start loads with Power Pistol, BE-86 and Blue-Dot with the Lee 311-100. Will post data details after I get back out and work-up something substantial.

Boolit Master

So, after looking at BC17's photos of puddled primers from where his loads went over-pressure, I'd like to float the following:

One thing I noted when this cartridge was born a year ago was that a 115 grain bullet in this diameter has nearly or exactly the same sectional density as a 147 grain 9mm bullet - which typically tends to penetrate better than the 115 and 124 grain 9mm counterparts and at lower speeds and pressures.

I think perhaps the way to load this thing may not be to firewall it with light bullets, but rather to increase the projectile mass and keep it to around 1000 fps. Probably gentler on the gun and the shooter, as well as maybe a better terminal performer.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Boolit Grand Master
    From stubby 3.1 inch barrels the factory 115s go 1080 with no undue trauma to cases or primers, so I think that should be doable or a bit better with handloads as well.

I'd likely be testing 115's as well, if they were available that is. Speer is about the only company making a 115 JHP and I haven't seen hide nor hair of any Speer handgun reloading bullets in quite some time.

Boolit Grand Master
    Nor have I. The only ones I have found was twenty round boxes Gold Dot 115s factory. No components by Speer around here. My local Scheels sells 100 grain Remington and Federal FMJ and has sold out their allotments fairly expeditiously. Price on sale for 50 was 19.99 which is not too bad and cheaper than 40 and competitive with 380. The Cabelas in Omaha has very occasionally had defensive SC ammo but no practice ammo.

Not sure what that means. Local Scheels offers both Smith pistol variants for the cartridge. For some reason never looked to see if Cabelas does. Maybe next time.

Boolit Master
    Finally got my first split case in 30 Super Carry. I’ve lost track of how many times this batch of cases were reloaded. This particular batch also saw some heavy loads when I was working up loads to find the top end limit. The primer pockets loosened up noticeably after the first 3-4 reloadings but never got too loose to hold a primer. About then I backed off to loading 5.5 grains of my mil surp #5 under the 117 wadcutter. IIRC it runs a bit over 1200 fps and is pretty much in line with current factory loadings. I’m thinking this batch of cases has seen 5-6 loadings at that level.

So, all in all I’m happy with case life for 30 Super Carry. I was expecting very short case life due to the high pressures this cartridge runs. It’ll be interesting to see now if several more split soon or if this was just an early bloomer.

Also it makes me think Federal put some good metallurgy in these cases. I remember the first 32 H&R cases were brittle and split quickly. Glad to see that’s not happening in 30 Super Carry.

Boolit Bub
    Gentleman, I have enjoyed my first time reading down through the thread. 6 months of development so far, I hope it continues on the track it's started on. I have Lee dies and a Hi Point carbine on order. Found a Shield EZ for 4 Washington's a couple days ago so I am on board with you all. BTW Smith has a rebate deal of 3 magazines for certain guns (Shield EZ) purchased during the summer!

Boolit Master
    JF, welcome aboard to both the board and to hand loading 30 Super Carry.
    I’d like to hear how the Lee dies work out. I’m still loading on RCBS 32 acp dies.
    And….even though we’re in the Wheelguns, Pistols and Handcannons section, I hope you post some results with the carbine. I really think 30 Super Carry could stretch it’s legs with some more barrel.

Boolit Bub
    Thank you SOS. It was interesting to hear about the comparisons made to 7.62x25. Tokarev is one of my favorite oddballs to play with.

One thing I did want to bring up when I read about the trouble someone had with Long Shot. I wonder if 30 SC is as prone to pressure increases associated COL as 32 ACP? Might be something to watch a little closer?

Boolit Master
    I haven’t really been able to further explore the .30SC.
    I Will say that SRP’s made a LOT of difference in primer extrusion and swipe. That’s my primary criteria as I lost the Semi Auto 1500 at the 1997 NPSC due to a Federal SPP swiping and leaving shaved metal in the firing pin hole. Lost 70pts. Cost me several guns… not won due to loss of points in combined aggregates.

I’ve been using a NOE 100gr RFN witch is really a Keith style SWC. With the SRP and 6.1gr of LongShot, I’m getting just over 1,250fps and decent accuracy. It’s good enough as cases aren’t thrown as far as faster loads. The NOE is a 5-cavity mold, so there’s THAT!

I’ve been buying 100rds of 100gr Federal AE every time I go by Academy sports, so I building a stash of ammo/brass.
    I believe whoever said the future of the cartridge is with heavier bullets was onto something. I REALLY like the way the gun performs with the Lee 113gr .311” RFN-GC. My mold I’d is beagled to throw.314” and I size them to .314” for my Single-7.
    I’ve been tempted to try some Speer 110gr .308 Varminters for grins and giggles.
    I’m hoping someone will produce a barrel and slide conversion for a Glock or M1912.
    $3,000 for a Night Hawk .30SC is beyond my pain tolerance…
    I’d bounce for a full size M&P .30SC with a 21rd capacity however…

Banned
    Don't know if it is worth to post this here. I have quite a fr 30 Lugers and7.62 x25 Tokareva. I'm exceeding all our velocities with a 100 grain bullet especially out of the six inch Luger. I was using HP38 and loading it up half a grain at a time I will tell you the velocity with the 6 inch barrel with the 100 grain bullet got up to 1700 fps and I back off that that point to 1600 fps. I was seeing pressure, Not telling the load but it shot mighty fast and operated well. I had a couple guys with me and they were shot about two things, about how fast it went and how far off Hodgdon is on hot loading. No bugle on the case, not blow primers, case came out of the chamber easily. Maybe I'll cast some up for it and restest and get the ES ad SD too. Just stay tune. Only think over the single action board group could get on it that the 30 Super held more rounds.

Boolit Bub
    After visiting with a Brownell's tech I tried emailing Nighthawk about buying a mag, barrel, and slide to put a 1911 SC together? The reply was "Not selling any SC parts at this time". Made me wonder if enough fellas asked nicely they might consider it? I guess there is a whole raft of bullseye shooters wanting 1911 32 ACP mags and slides as well.

Boolit Master
    JF, I saw your question asking if 30 SC was more or less tolerant to changes in cartridge over-all length (COL) than 32 acp. I’ve been thinking….

I don’t really know at this point but have come up with a couple of thoughts.

First, COL is critical in both cartridges.

Second, my opinion is 30 SC will be slightly more forgiving in changes to COL due to its bigger case capacity and being loaded with slower powders.

Boolit Bub
    I think you are right on the money SOS.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    JF, welcome aboard to both the board and to hand loading 30 Super Carry.
    I’d like to hear how the Lee dies work out. I’m still loading on RCBS 32 acp dies.
    And….even though we’re in the Wheelguns, Pistols and Handcannons section, I hope you post some results with the carbine. I really think 30 Super Carry could stretch it’s legs with some more barrel.

Took some Blazer brass 115 FMJ down by the barn and sent them through the chronograph. Shield EZ were all around 1024-1040 Hi Point carbine 16" barrel were 1268-1278 What suprisede me was how quiet the shots fired out of the longer barrel. Also pretty suprised and pleased with the Hi Point. $340 gun ran flawless from the first shot. Not saying it's for everyone but I like it. Cant wasit for rabbit hunting this winter.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast