RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyWideners
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything Titan Reloading
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weaver scopes

Boolit Master

Weaver scopes

I picked up a couple of Weaver K4 scopes today. One is a 60 B, the other 60 c. Both are steel El Paso. The C60 has the post crosshair I like. Both in great shape. Paid $105.00 for the pair. Wonder if I did well?
    swamp

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	HPIM0713.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	300418
    Last edited by swamp; 05-21-2022 at 10:01 PM.
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

Boolit Master
    If they're clear and the adjustments track you did very well.

Yeah. You're good.
    They look great on older period rifles too.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    The glass is good and view is clear and crisp. I have a soft spot in my head for the old Weavers. Good eye relief too. Just seem to feel more solidly built.
    swamp
    There is no problem so great, that it cannot be solved by the proper application of high explosives.

They have plastic parts inside. If I recall correctly, any scope -f or later had plastic parts that caused problems when used in adverse conditions. Until the last refinement the -1 scopes in the early 80s. Those are the very best of old weavers on both optical quality and internal construction. The scopes you have will bring $100 or more each on eBay. I got lucky and got a k2.5-1 for $80 shipped a few years back. No disrespect meant, just telling what I know.

Boolit Master

I like Weaver fixed scopes too. I use them on single shot rifles. If Rich/WIS's pointers are OK, your deal was a good one.
    If it was easy, anybody could do it.

Boolit Bub
    I have two or three of the newer style K 4 scopes and I have hammered on them.I put one on a Savage muzzle loader and I am sure that I shot at least twenty whitetails with it.I think that is a testimony to any scope made.

Boolit Master

Good job.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Master
    Thank you. I find it hard to resist the El Paso made ones.
    swamp

Boolit Grand Master

I would think so ! My first scope bought used, Weaver K4 (steel tube) was in 1970 for $20.00 ...buddy was upgrading to a 3-9 variable ...them old fixed 4X Weaver's were so old fashioned...
    So , adjusting for inflation $1.00 in 1970 = $7.45 (or more) in todays money ...
    20 X 7.45 = $149.00 for one scope .... you got two scopes for $105.00 ... Home Run with the bases loaded ... You did good .
    If one is damaged there is a scope service that will rebuild Weaver scopes ...but the name escapes me . My K-4 is still on my 1967 built 1903A3 Springfield Sporter 30-06 ... I never needed any repairs or rebuilding ...great scope and Awesome Score ...

Congratulations
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    I have about 10 or so of the old things laying around. As old as they are I would not want to hunt in the rain but otherwise they are solid and you can't beat the look on an older rifle. I have a K-12 Micro-Trac on a mid 70's Ruger M77V , perfect. Saving a mint K-3 for my Marlin 39 when my eyes go south. My only K-4 looks new but has the non-centered crosshairs.

Years ago I was given a V-9 that was very dingy inside. It had a plastic AO adjustment. I took it apart , laid everything out in order and cleaned every piece. There was not a seal of any kind in that scope, no wonder it had leaked. After reassembly I put on a rifle of known accuracy and it worked perfectly.

My first decent (for the time) scope was a K4 on my M77 in the mid seventies. It was rock solid, accurately adjusting, and I'm still using it on a 22. Over the years, I've picked up another half dozen of them when I ran into them. Some are great, some used a little hard. I've also got two of the V8's which are variable power, but no adjustment. They came with adjustable rings. Kind of an "odd duck". Also have a K3, which is clear as a bell, with very fine cross hairs. I guess I need to buy more vintage rifles to put these scopes on.jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by hoodat View Post
    My first decent (for the time) scope was a K4 on my M77 in the mid seventies. It was rock solid, accurately adjusting, and I'm still using it on a 22. Over the years, I've picked up another half dozen of them when I ran into them. Some are great, some used a little hard. I've also got two of the V8's which are variable power, but no adjustment. They came with adjustable rings. Kind of an "odd duck". Also have a K3, which is clear as a bell, with very fine cross hairs. I guess I need to buy more vintage rifles to put these scopes on.jd
    hoodat, I have a V8, can't seem to get it to hold zero. It was on a 25-20 so recoil isn't the problem. I have wondered if the front ring was assembled properly. Have you tried your V8 on anything?

Quote Originally Posted by beemer View Post
    hoodat, I have a V8, can't seem to get it to hold zero. It was on a 25-20 so recoil isn't the problem. I have wondered if the front ring was assembled properly. Have you tried your V8 on anything?
    Yeah, I've got it on a remington 22 rifle that is a combo of parts I bought off eBay. It's like a 513T barrel,511 receiver, 521 bolt,-- The scope is working good on it. Mounts are kind of like the Unertal floating spring loaded deal. Front mount needs to flex on two axis. I can see where there's room for a problem. I could send a pic if you want. jd
    It seems that people who do almost nothing, often complain loudly when it's time to do it.

Boolit Master
    jd, the front is giving problems, it seems the flex part has some play. I am not home right now but will be back in a few days and will dig it out. I might have you send some pictures. I want to put it on a Savage 23 in 25-20. Thanks for the response.

We are getting ready to go to the Little Bighorn National Monument and flying home tomorrow.

Dave

Boolit Master
    The Weavers were the status quo back when I started deer hunting. That was 60+ years back and since then their construction, pricing and durability have changed significantly. Time rolled along and about 10 years ago I acquired a Marlin 336 in 35 Rem., and not long after that I found a Weaver K4 with the post reticle. Both the rifle and scope belonged together and oddly enough neither had seen very much use. Both of them look like new. They gifted me a 4-point the first year I carried them. Delivery supply chain be hanged, I have enough components to load for this rifle well beyond my expiration date. Just carrying that rig into the woods makes me think I am reversing the years and getting younger.

Quote Originally Posted by gwpercle View Post
    I would think so ! My first scope bought used, Weaver K4 (steel tube) was in 1970 for $20.00 ...buddy was upgrading to a 3-9 variable ...them old fixed 4X Weaver's were so old fashioned...
    So , adjusting for inflation $1.00 in 1970 = $7.45 (or more) in todays money ...
    20 X 7.45 = $149.00 for one scope .... you got two scopes for $105.00 ... Home Run with the bases loaded ... You did good .
    If one is damaged there is a scope service that will rebuild Weaver scopes ...but the name escapes me . My K-4 is still on my 1967 built 1903A3 Springfield Sporter 30-06 ... I never needed any repairs or rebuilding ...great scope and Awesome Score ...

Congratulations
    Gary
    You made a good deal. Great scopes that get the job done!

A good repair shop at a reasonable price for classic Weaver's is "ironsightinc.com".
    Hard times create strong men, strong men create good times, good times create weak men, and weak men create hard times.

Boolit Buddy
    I like the old Weaver scopes also. Have a K3 with post on a 1952 35Rem 336SC (was de-waffled and D&T'd when I got it) and a K4 came on my Savage 340 222Rem.

I'm down to two of them; a 1960s steel, glass and plastic K10 that I use to test accuracy of rifles and a steel and glass 1970's K4 that is perfect for deer hunting.
    A Weaver K6 cost me $40 back in 1973, and it taught me and a bunch of varmints what a 22-250 could do.

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    I feel good about the Japan 4x Weaver I have. You did great!
    "If everyone is thinking the same thing it means someone is not thinking"

"A rat became the unit of currency"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast