Load DataLee PrecisionWidenersInline Fabrication
MidSouth Shooters SupplyTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyRepackbox
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: My defensive carry pistol is more accurate than yours...

Boolit Master

My defensive carry pistol is more accurate than yours...

I worked up another batch of reloads for my XDM OSP Elite 3.8" 10mm using 190 grain RCBS cast boolits, 200 grain Hornady XTPs, and 200 grain Speer Gold Dots.

All loads used Accurate #9. I was able to get my hands on another three pounds of it and it is my favorite powder for 10mm.

Took all 9 different loads to the range and did an extensive video in which I recorded every shot on video and through my chronograph...

All bullets were able to achieve my personal benchmark of accuracy for a defensive carry pistol; 2" or less 5-shot groups at 25 yards using a rest with acceptable defensive loads.

Then I got to the loads using the 200 grain Speer Gold Dots and was amazed at the accuracy. All loads achieved the benchmark, with the full power max load delivering a 3/4" group.

Pretty sure it is the tightest group I have ever gotten at 25 yards with a defensive pistol shooting full-power loads.

Attachment 300648

Has anyone else gotten a smaller group than that with a carry pistol?
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Nice!
    Good load + good pistol + good shooter = Wow!

My favorite boolit weight for 10mm is 165 grain. I choose that bc I liked the 165 Sig V-Crown JHP bullet and wanted to shoot lots of boolits with the same ballistics so POA is the same with each. Even with the 165 I’ve found WC620 which is close to AA#9 to be a very consistent fuel in 10mm. Although with my 165’s, canister AA#7 and Blue Dot both get a bit more velocity. I wouldn’t be surprised if AA#9 gives the peak velocity with the heavies.
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Boolit Master

Very impressive.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master
    Fine report and shooting!

That is a very good pistol and load. Your load development is DONE!
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

I just got the same pistol. Glad to see you are getting such great results. Gonna be a but before I can. Rank out some j words first, then cast due to everything going on here. Thanks for posting your results.
    Ron

Boolit Grand Master
    Darned fine shooting! You've got a peach there.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Grand Master
    I’ve done smaller than that using a worked over 1911 and match ammo, which isn’t the same thing. What did the other groups shot look like besides the exceptional group?

Statistically, if you shoot five, five shot groups the largest group is somewhere in the vicinity of 1.9 times the size of the smallest group. A rifle or pistol is a random probability generator and conforms somewhat expectedly over a number of groups.

I asked because I could download the video but it didn’t seem to want to run it which is probably my fault somehow.

On edit: Nevermind it’s running now.
    Last edited by 35remington; 05-27-2022 at 02:54 PM.

Boolit Grand Master

Good shooting.
    Old enough to know better, young enough to do it anyway!

Men who don't understand women fall into two categories: bachelors and husbands!

Boolit Master

Another odd thing is that the published load data on the Hodgdon website is based on a pistol with 5" barrel.

I have a 3.8" barrel, so it stands to reason that my loads should be slower.

They're not. The manual says my 12.5 grains of #9 using a 200 grain Hornady XTP should average 1170 fps. Mine average 1171 fps using the same cases, bullets, and powder.

Weird.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master
    That is pretty fast but I don’t think excessive. As long as you think it’s controllable for your carry piece you have 357 ballistics in a fairly short barrel which should give some amount of reassurance for two legged and with cast bullets four legged critters.

As far as accuracy goes that’s plenty good enough about two times over.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Nice!
    Good load + good pistol + good shooter = Wow!

My favorite boolit weight for 10mm is 165 grain. I choose that bc I liked the 165 Sig V-Crown JHP bullet and wanted to shoot lots of boolits with the same ballistics so POA is the same with each. Even with the 165 I’ve found WC620 which is close to AA#9 to be a very consistent fuel in 10mm. Although with my 165’s, canister AA#7 and Blue Dot both get a bit more velocity. I wouldn’t be surprised if AA#9 gives the peak velocity with the heavies.
    I've got WC820 but have never seen WC620. My lot of WC820 uses AA#9 data.
    John
    W.TN

Boolit Grand Master

Yes I have a pair of Sig p365xl's that shoot that well. My S&W Shield not so much. It could do that at three yards and maybe 5 yards but 25 yards is grim.
    2nd Amendment of the U.S. Constitution. - "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"Before you argue with someone, ask yourself, is that person even mentally mature enough to grasp the concept of different perspectives? Because if not, there’s absolutely no point."
    – Amber Veal

"The Highest form of ignorance is when your reject something you don't know anything about".
    - Wayne Dyer